Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Author Topic: What if...  (Read 588 times)

carp

• First Class Poster
What if...
« on: May 24, 2016, 09:52:31 pm »

Hey all. So, sometimes I have dreams about GG characters (last night I dreamt everyone was furries. Lawni was a fox, and Jack was a wolf, and Lawni kept messing with Jack and pissing him off and Jack would get all floofy in anger).  One of my dreams led me to thinking of a "what if" scenario for the GG.

In the "what if," Primary somehow got a reboot.  Which had the effect of rebooting all the systems and characters and, of course, the GG.  There was an added twist: certain individuals could remember the time before the reboot (especially Amberites and other people with reality-bending abilities), but most people were only aware of the current, rebooted existence.

It made me start wondering what characters would be like in the rebooted universe.  It's been fun for me, because it's been so long since I created Scrae (12 years!) and all my other characters, and it's interesting to think of what they'd be like if I made them now.

Rebooted Jack would have memories of the original timeline (because his memory-altering powers protected him from whatever wiped everyone else's awareness of that timeline).  In the reboot, he's still a bad guy, though circumstances of him coming to Primary and butting heads with the GG are different.  He remembers going through rehab and making friends among the GG and all that stuff, but he can't really go "home" since he did terrible things in the reboot universe.

Also he's still besties with Tier.

Anybody else want to think about rebooted characters with me?  This isn't meant to be RP because, well, very few of us seem to have time for that anymore.  It's more like how we'd all sometimes brainstorm plot ideas even if we never played them.
carp uses they/them pronouns please and thank you

Scrae | Jack | Gabriel | Vic | Amalie

Rhiann

• Second Class Poster
  • I'm a fox. Want to know more? Just ask.
    • The World of Sau'du
Re: What if...
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 01:07:34 am »

An interesting concept, certainly. Even the reboot would carry questions and challenges, such as...
Does the PC take on the form of the most recently played character, the most recently created character or the one they consider their 'prime' character? That would right there hit me with three possibilities.

Or, would each character get generated, each with an exact duplicate of the mind and personality of their creator, rather than the personalities that creator developed for them?

What if the PC is male, but the creator is female... or vice-versa? How would they react to not only finding themselves in a furry form but also potentially of the opposite gender?

Would they keep that character's abilities, or would they have to learn them from scratch?
Rhiann: Priestess of the Web and a powerful Telepath/telekinetic.
Tracker: Bionic fox from an 'alternate' Earth.
Dav: A Worgen (Werewolf) Shaman from the World of Warcraft

Will there be others?

carp

• First Class Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 04:44:59 am »

I'm not sure I understand the questions.  Are you thinking that when things are rebooted the player and character could somehow get switched?  I hadn't considered that.  But why not?  It's a reboot all kinds of wacky things could happen.

but also, since it's a reboot, the rebooted character/player/whatever could be any gender/species/etc.  I mean, except that people from Primary are still all human, obvs.

I'm thinking of a reboot like with comics.  Like, original Wonder Woman can't fly she has an invisible jet.  But (at least one version of) rebooted Wonder Woman can fly and she has an invisible jet.    And her history has changed too.  Also, one version of Wonder Woman was made out of clay and had no father.  But in a reboot, she was the daughter of Hippolyta and Zeus.  Also, the whole world was changed, and that changed her history and potentially her personality.  But Wonder Woman isn't aware of the timelines that existed prior to the reboot.  Only some characters in comics seem to have awareness of reboots happening.

PS: there's no such thing as "opposite" genders because there's more than two genders.
carp uses they/them pronouns please and thank you

Scrae | Jack | Gabriel | Vic | Amalie

Rhiann

• Second Class Poster
    • The World of Sau'du
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 03:48:21 pm »

Ah. That kind of reboot. I misunderstood your first posting.

Hmmm... you give me ideas....

Will there be others?

Gaddez

• Forum Recruit
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 06:43:17 pm »

After a fashion, It kind of feels like me and Rhiann have been working on a bit of a reboot for the past few months; ATM the once mighty rosters of active guardians has been reduced to two and a millenium tree from rifts earth seems to have grown in the middle of the Courtyard.

But yeah: I'd be down with trying some alternate stuff (Katt did wind up in a corner story wise that allowed only one way forward and lord knows people would have only interpreted it as a giant flip off...).

Rhiann

• Second Class Poster
    • The World of Sau'du
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2016, 10:45:47 pm »

I don't know... Could you imagine a warrior Sa'uk with Rhiann's powers? Lightweight blade that somehow chops with the force of five tons per square nanometer? A mental force-field that deflects any kinetic attack more than 5 away from dead center on the sphere and even then could slow the projectile to sub-lethal energy on anything up to shoulder-fired weapons? When you consider some of those reboots from DC and Marvel, the characters somehow seem to become even more insanely powerful and less 'sane' at the same time. Maybe they're becoming more 'human' in some ways but they are becoming less human in others. Rhiann does have a Goddess aspect on her home world but even at her most powerful, some of these reboots make her look like a child.

Will there be others?

Gaddez

• Forum Recruit
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2016, 10:09:11 am »

The way I'd look at doing a reboot for a GG character would be to go back to an important point in the characters past and alter it so that you can see how things would have turned out otherwise.

Like, Gaddez hasn't exactly enjoyed a carefree and harmonious time with the guardians; He's headstrong and doesn't care what people's ranks are so much as what they are capable of and this has gone over like a lead balloon at times. As such, I could easily see a point where he flipped the department heads the bird and quit, only to turn back up as an independant third party in the system's who sits in a murky grey area between friend and foe.

Alternately, look at Rhiann's iterations; I'm given to understand that their were differences between her NCD, GG and PG iterations not merely in power but also temperment.

Rhiann

• Second Class Poster
    • The World of Sau'du
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 03:59:01 am »

Alternately, look at Rhiann's iterations; I'm given to understand that their were differences between her NCD, GG and PG iterations not merely in power but also temperment.

And nobody ever really got to know Hsaarra, Rhiann's adversary. Innocent? Never. A killer from day one when it came to the Sa'uk.

Will there be others?