Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sign up: A Good Old Fashioned Combat RP!  (Read 2328 times)

Janus

• RPG Collector Supreme
  • Administrator
  • First Class Poster
  • "I'll explain that later."
    • Gamer's End RP Wiki
« on: July 10, 2015, 01:38:27 am »

Alright, following through with my resolution to get back online from the headache of dealing with RealLife(tm) for too long, I'm putting together a nice and simple combat-focused mission RP!

Mission System:  XCOM
The Problem:  Another video game has had a plot object intrude into the "Core Story" of the system, causing an imbalance as the System prepares to transition into it's upcoming sequel.
The Guardians:  Will enter as XCOM operatives, but have access to pre-vetted equipment from the Jauntspace multiverse
The Enemy:  Will be various baddies of the XCOM setting both past and present, with a possible end opposition from whatever the incursion is
The Stakes:  If the Guardians fail, there is a risk of System breach and XCOM natives escaping into Jauntspace.  There may also be damage to the rollout of XCOM 2 in Primary; the last time the Guardians failed to prevent damage to this System the developers of the XCOM shooter had their work wiped out and replaced with "The Bureau: XCOM Declassified".

Don't know what XCOM is?  Shame on you.  OK, here's a few links:

The Trailer for the 2012 Franchise Reboot
The upcoming XCOM 2 Trailer
UFOpaedia, a wiki the collects all info of the franchise together.

Don't want to click on links?  Fine.  The XCOM franchise of games is based on the idea that Earth is in a semi-secret war with invading aliens and there is a top secret international military organization that responds to incursions, researches the aliens, develops tech to get the upper hand, and eventually stop the invasion.  Most versions of the game are  turn-based tactical squad combat with an emphasis on planning over brute force.

I will take join requests and field OOC questions (and amusing IC questions) about the RP and it's source material in this thread for 2 weeks, and will limit the field team to 6 players (per the rules of the current games).  CMs will limit power where I see fit, but I want to limit only in extreme circumstances.

Signups:
  • Rhiann (as Tracker)
  • Kyle (as Zoey)
  • Gaddez (as Gaddez)
  • Dathiel (as Ren Thorn)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 11:04:12 pm by Janus »
Doctor Hugo Easton - Mad SCIENCE!
Webhunter - College Student Werewolf
Azure Reg - Shadowrun Thief & British Mutant

Learn about them all by finding my links right HERE

Rhiann

• Second Class Poster
  • I'm a fox. Want to know more? Just ask.
    • The World of Sau'du
Re: Sign up: A Good Old Fashioned Combat RP!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 04:06:14 am »

Not home right now, but i'm willing to bring in any one of my characters you say.
Rhiann: Priestess of the Web and a powerful Telepath/telekinetic.
Tracker: Bionic fox from an 'alternate' Earth.
Dav: A Worgen (Werewolf) Shaman from the World of Warcraft

Will there be others?

Janus

• RPG Collector Supreme
  • Administrator
  • First Class Poster
    • Gamer's End RP Wiki
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 05:13:18 am »

While I appreciate a willingness to be flexible, please list your preferred character if only so others can decide what they might like to bring to play along side you.  Thanks!

Janus

• RPG Collector Supreme
  • Administrator
  • First Class Poster
    • Gamer's End RP Wiki
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 05:36:41 pm »

A question was asked "what era of XCOM will be used?"

My answer: Any and all.  If you are familiar with the game series, you will know it has been around since the 90s and had multiple iterations.  I am choosing to have this mission happen in the "Core story" where all of the game concepts coexist.  I may not roll out everything, but I reserve the right to use whatever I like and players should not feel like they are running around on someone's screen somewhere adhering to strict mechanical or mission rules.

So do not worry about trying to sus out the mysterious clue, don't assume I will throw you into some deep role play examining heroism and morality, and do not fret about trying to follow too much of my metaphysics.

You will shoot at bad aliens, they will attack you, and you will try to get to a goal point and score.  You may lose and the universe will not end.  I may do something more story based as follow up but only if I see something to keep building on and I have no 5 year plan which will hinge on all of this.

Kyle

• Forum Recruit
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2015, 09:43:33 pm »

Ima be a sniper... All joking aside, sign me up.
Just because you're blonde and from California doesn't mean you have big breasts and live at the beach ~Mia

Janus

• RPG Collector Supreme
  • Administrator
  • First Class Poster
    • Gamer's End RP Wiki
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2015, 09:58:37 pm »

Will you be going as a System character with special powers, or would you like a CM prepared for your Primarian to gain XCOM abilities?

Gaddez

• Forum Recruit
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2015, 05:50:32 pm »

Consider me officially signed up for this as gaddez.

Dathiel

• First Class Poster
  • ... Always Triumphs!
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 03:22:02 pm »

I am signing up as well! Character sheet will be up soon!

I'll use Ren and be a Psionic Support
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 07:48:59 pm by Dathiel »

Janus

• RPG Collector Supreme
  • Administrator
  • First Class Poster
    • Gamer's End RP Wiki
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 03:50:37 pm »

Because of the forum being down, I am extending signups and questions until 7/27, unless I get a full roster before then.

Anyone that has already signed up, please tell me who you will be playing if you have not already.  I will need to know who I am sending in to provide you with appropriate loadouts.  If you want certain pieces of equipment, or have abilities not documented in a sheet here on the forums I also need to know about those so I can anticipate how things will interact.

The more info I have ahead of time, the less delay there is in posting!  Thank you all!

Rhiann

• Second Class Poster
    • The World of Sau'du
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2015, 05:11:28 pm »

While I appreciate a willingness to be flexible, please list your preferred character if only so others can decide what they might like to bring to play along side you.  Thanks!

Ok, Tracker the bionic fox is my choice. Probably the closest match to the system than either magic-oriented one.

I might note I'm not familiar with the XCOM system, so will need coaching from any experienced players. (Based on the videos, Tracker's a good choice.)

(Note: While Tracker does have his force field, effective against most anti-personnel weapons to some extent, he would be quite interested in the invisibility and a sword patterned after his own katana built to XCOM specs for easy use. I don't know how effective his own belt laser pistol would be against the foe nor how long his implanted nuclear 'batacitor' (think Tesla's Model S batteries with a self-recharging capability) would hold up under heavy drain, so some easily-carried weapon or perhaps a control for the 'drone' as shown in the XCOM 2 video linked to his bionics could be an effective choice. Most of his specs are in the available character roster.)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 05:54:34 pm by Rhiann »

Will there be others?

Kyle

• Forum Recruit
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2015, 09:58:53 pm »

I will be playing Zoey for this one.
Just because you're blonde and from California doesn't mean you have big breasts and live at the beach ~Mia

Janus

• RPG Collector Supreme
  • Administrator
  • First Class Poster
    • Gamer's End RP Wiki
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2015, 06:12:50 pm »

Okay folks, I am getting geared up to start running.  I have been experimenting with some ideas for forum role play mechanics, and instead of dice I will be using a deck of cards to represent results from 1 to 10, with face cards producing "stunt" effects.  You don't need to know all the details, but what this means is you will know at any time what is left in the deck if you track the cards, as I will not reshuffle unless I draw a Joker.

In the end I will want a list of 3 things your character is good at in combat, and 2 things they are not.  Anything beyond these items will be handled on a case by case basis, or simple GM fiat.

Gaddez

• Forum Recruit
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2015, 07:03:37 pm »

Intriguing idea, lets see what I can come up with

Gaddez strengths
Veteran: Hailing from rifts earth and being one of the senior most guardians, Gaddez has seen a lot of combat across dozens of missions with myriad parameters and as such either knows or can addapt to most situations in short order.

Tactician: Long before he ever woke up with a hang over on a couch in the Lounge, Gaddez was leading a successful independant mercenary company in one of the most chaotic, violent and lethal systems ever created; Knowing how to read battlefields, predict the movements of his enemies and utilize the diverse skills of his team made him one of the most fearsome commanders in North America.

Demolitions expert: There is perhaps no one who understands explosives more then Gaddez anywhere; whether it's salvaging materials from a dumpster to build an IED, disarming a nuke, planting charges for a precision drop of a building, guesstimating the requisite power to penetrate an armored vehicle or just lobbing a grenade really well the orc knows what he is doing.

Weaknesses:
Reputation: Rightly or wrongly, gaddez has a reputation for being difficult to work with, particularly from a management position. This can result in perfectly reasonable (to his mind at least) requests being either flat out ignored or countermanded by others.

Team first: Whether it's an artifact of his orcish nature or having been left for dead himself, Gaddez refuses to abandon team mates while their is the slightest chance they draw breath. Further, Harm to them can and does have a tendency to make him fight "dumb and angry" as opposed to smart and precise.

No Fisiticuffs please: Gaddez like most orcs is a big guy and can usually handle himself in a bar fight, but growing up in a setting with beings that could shatter his skull with a finger flick, he never saw the point in learning how to properly fight in hand to hand; Against most people/things with either formal training or predatory instincts the Merc is in trouble.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 08:28:59 pm by Gaddez »

Rhiann

• Second Class Poster
    • The World of Sau'du
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2015, 05:40:22 am »

In the end I will want a list of 3 things your character is good at in combat, and 2 things they are not.  Anything beyond these items will be handled on a case by case basis, or simple GM fiat.

Speed, scouting and Japanese-style swordplay are what Tracker's probably best at. While he can handle a firearm/laser weapon, is accuracy is not the best unless he's in a braced position such as prone or against a stationary support. He can also go off a bit half-cocked if an innocent bystander or animal is at threat--to the point of attempting a rescue depending on circumstances or avenging the innocent if wounded unnecessarily.

Will there be others?

Dathiel

• First Class Poster
  • ... Always Triumphs!
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2015, 03:07:50 am »

Three things Ren is good at in combat:
1 Ren is good at mobility (running and endurance)
2 Ren is good at physical maneuvering (climbing jumping etc)
3 Good aim with range weapons.

and 2 things he is not good at in combat:
1 Anything that relies on a large amount of physical strength (pushing, pulling, lifting) could harm him.
2 Knows basic tactics only and can be caught off guard if situation changes too quickly.
Pages: [1] 2