Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Voices in the Cold Dark [Closed RP]  (Read 8426 times)

Taross Blackburn

• Administrator
  • Thread Staff Sergeant
Re: Voices in the Cold Dark [Closed RP]
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2013, 10:10:28 am »

Taross mmmhs and nods... "First time through Jauntspace is usually the worst." she notes "Granted, usually it's when you're being expelled from your home system and unceremoniously deposited on the streets somewhere near the Outpost... or worse."
She pauses a little but quickly returns to the present again. "Anyway... crunch time, I can do... and yes, she's mine." She answers with regards to the question about the airship.

Usually she'd be the mood to give a little spiel about how she's the fastest ever made or the best in luxury and functionality, but now is not quite the time for that. "I had the idea that she'd ultimately come in handy, do you need to be going anywhere?" she asks.

She ponders a little something after the question, regarding the comment that Architect made about going into Jauntspace "Just... one thing... Jauntspace isn't empty. What would happen should the Azuredawn bump into another system on its drift or fall through it?"

Dathiel

• First Class Poster
  • ... Always Triumphs!
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2013, 04:42:35 pm »

“If the Azuredawn bumps into something, it will get eaten. When it falls, there will be minimal fuss in this reality. One moment it will be here then next it will be gone – or so I’ve been told. On our side there will be a lurch, and then for who-knows-how-long nothing that flies will climb too high up into the sky for fear of getting thrown off.” Architect starts heading towards the airship.

“Yes I do need to go somewhere, I’ve locked down stable parts of the weave.  Well as stable as things can possibly be made. I need a lift to my place, and with the shutdown of all the timelines my main method of travel is not working.”

As the fox leads the way back to the airship, he pulls out a strange crystal from his pocket, over the next few minutes he is issuing orders - most likely to his subordinates.

“Well I have some good news for you, Engineer is in the Golden Hall with most of your followers, and will be told of your arrival.”

Taross Blackburn

• Administrator
  • Thread Staff Sergeant
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2013, 01:39:20 pm »

"I see..."  Taross answers to the explanations given "Well, no worries. Just lead the way and I can pilot you over." She then smiles at the news of Engineer and nods again "That's at least good to hear... Also explains why all the calls for me to come over here were so extremely numerous." she chortles at that and then mms before growing a bit more serious while keeping up the pace.

While moving, she's checking whether or not her standard communications line to the Outpost works, at least before the Azuredawn actually does fall. If it won't work, she'll probably already have to call Draven on his supplied number on her 'special' phone.
"Just give me a second or so while we keep walking. I got one thing I need to take care of and satisfy a whole different responsibility..."

Dathiel

• First Class Poster
  • ... Always Triumphs!
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2013, 03:52:56 pm »

Her standard communicator doesn’t seem to be working properly, but this has been the case every time she has come here (when the Azuredawn itself couldn’t be bothered to provide a stable connection) so it wasn’t too much of a surprise to Taross.

Architect doesn’t seem bothered by the slower goddess, and continues onto the airship at a hurried pace. If he reaches the ship first he’ll pull out a blue print and examine it while the Goddess tries to make another call.

Draven picks up after the second ring.

“That didn’t take long Darling, miss me already?”

Ooc: Sorry for the late post

Taross Blackburn

• Administrator
  • Thread Staff Sergeant
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2013, 07:34:51 pm »

Taross chuckles a little when she can hear the voice on the other end. She was half worried she was going to have to plead with Cockroach for a favour to get patched through.
"Keep that up and I might once the lines do go dead." She answers the man, "But I have a good reason to call... On top of everything you have to do already, I need to ask something."

She pauses a second and then continues "I'd need you to call the following number and use the following passphrase and warn the folks who answer the call that something very nasty is going to appear and float -probably aimlessly- through Jauntspace. That they can not, under any circumstance, get in its way and just do their best to evacuate any Awares from any system it might bump into. And if they DO try to get in the way and they get eaten, it's all on their head." She proceeds to give the number and the code "Also, I'm pretty sure they'll try to ask you where you got all this, but just deliver the message and end the call. Its not worth your trouble to answer all the questions..."

With that said, she picks up the pace again while waiting for Draven's answer. To Engineer, when she gets close enough again, she nods and smiles "Welcome on board... we're at your service to fly you to your destination." Whether or not she's still on the line with the former.

(( Sent you a pm, too))

Dathiel

• First Class Poster
  • ... Always Triumphs!
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2013, 09:00:14 pm »

“This line will not go dark darling, even if your phone is broken, as long as you can dial the number it will always connect – paid extra for that feature.” While he says this you can hear him fetch a pen and paper on the other end. After double checking the pass phrase he pauses for a moment. “Since this phone will connect and you are obviously worried about your comrades, would it just be better if I spied on them for you? Give them my number as well so they can contact you in an emergency? I mean there will be no way to physically see you once the marble drops but I could certainly offer my phone up to your pals if things there get truly bad.”

When Taross speaks with Architect he acknowledges with a distracted nod, and then slowly… he realizes she is talking to someone on the phone. For Architect these devices are unreliable at best in the Azuredawn and shouldn’t get a signal to anywhere without the Azuredawn eating it. He folds the plans away for the moment and suddenly seems very curious about Taross’s conversation.

Taross Blackburn

• Administrator
  • Thread Staff Sergeant
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2013, 09:12:09 pm »

Taross chortles a little "Well, there's worry and there's giving fair warning. Guardian's a too dangerous job to constantly worry about folks." She then pauses "That... that is totally at your own risk. Won't stop you, but if you keep tabs on them, they'll eventually come constantly bug you over and over."
She eventually ends the call with Draven and then looks at Engineer when she puts the phone away. She realizes at that point that she may have given away a rather tactical advantage in showing she may be able to 'connect out' and puts on her best pokerface as she pretends that this is the totally most normal thing ever for her...

After all, she's supposed to be a god right? God things are mysterious ways and all that. "Alright, where to then?"

Dathiel

• First Class Poster
  • ... Always Triumphs!
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2013, 01:26:58 am »

“Will do, darling, have a safe trip.” And with that Draven hangs up the phone.

Architect narrows his eyes slightly, but there were only so many people that could pull off a cell phone call when the world is getting ready to fall, and even if Taross wasn’t one of them, she was the one who was here and trying to help.

“Let me just say this now: It doesn’t matter if you were talking to the paladin, the cleric, or someone else… keep in mind that while you may have made a commitment to the people here; they haven’t.” With that architect heads deeper into the airship looking for the bridge type area and awaiting liftoff.

Taross Blackburn

• Administrator
  • Thread Staff Sergeant
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2013, 12:42:34 am »

Taross then nods to Architect, letting the issue slide of the communication and then grins at the fox "Well, I suppose that's the others problem then if it comes up, right?" she notes before taking to the helm. There might've been a bit of a finality in her statement just then "After all, as you said, my commitment's to the people here and only one of the branches."

In her hurry to get that call out, she almost forgot her maul, still sitting as a sentry down at the bottom of the walkway up, and she takes a second to call it back to her side before starting up the airship.
It's business time, and piloting takes a bit of concentration. So once in the air, she turns her head towards the fox and gives him her best smile with that last statement still somewhat fresh in the air before she nods "Whereto?

Dathiel

• First Class Poster
  • ... Always Triumphs!
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2013, 05:12:13 pm »

“Draven and Conrad can be very destructive.” Architect is likewise done talking. He had warned her and that was enough for now.

Architect takes Taross to what he calls the ‘eye’ of the Azuredawn, but really it’s just a place where the curse is concentrated and most of the weave can be directly accessed all at once. It’s a simple floating platform with a square stone building on one end and a pulsating crystal in the center. The rest of the platform seems to be well worn, and Architect will tell her that a lot Branches use the eye when they need to influence large parts of the weave at once.

Taross’s first lesson in weaving actually occurs when Architect create a large glass dome overtop the Black Chocobo, anchoring and protecting the airship before the fall. He also shows her how to undo the weave herself.

Weaving is a particularly emotionally draining experience. Just when she may have doubts as to how much she’ll be able to help Architect shows her exactly how he’s going to use her luck influence to save crucial areas of the surface of the reality marble. A minor luck manipulation at a key moment and the weave holds steady instead of being crushed by exterior dimensional tides.

And there are a lot of dimensional influences over the next 5 hours. The precise moment when the weave first fluctuates the Azuredawn starts eating something, huge amounts of dimensional energy pulsates and cracks most of the ‘skin’ the Azuredawn has.  Most of the pieces that fly away from the destroyed skin gets devoured as the world Taross is on tries to eat something… anything to gain purchase.

That’s when Taross will see what it looks like when the Azuredawn emerges from the curse and devours something.

The weave of the Azuredawn lights up, a strange blue glow and then it splits, just by looking at the eye she can tell it splits across the whole marble, and as the weaves parts, the Sky parts with it andwhen it does, Taross can see a tiny world trapped in between the system it came from and somewhere else. As she watches she can see the world shudder and start to break apart – small pieces of it float into the Azuredawn’s maw – right past the Golden Hall.

“That world is far heavier than it should be…” Architect mutters before trying to stabilize the weave around the gap in the weave the Azuredawn is trying to pull the world through.

Black tendrils snake out of the maw and strike the planet, burrowing into the surface, dragging the Azuredawn closer…

Taross Blackburn

• Administrator
  • Thread Staff Sergeant
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2013, 01:07:46 am »

In all honesty, Taross doesn't quite know what to do at first. But she has at least learned to shut up and take instructions from someone who knows better than her in important things... like Weaving and, well, trying to keep this reality as stable as she can.
She's mostly happy for those she came along for to be able to help, and although her manipulation at certain points is a little more than she normally feels comfortable with (she usually likes to only give people enough 'luck' to succeed at tasks if they are willing to do the hard work themselves), she takes her lumps with that and just offers as much as she can. That, or tilting chance the other way for pieces that have to go to preserve the whole.

When the Azuredawn starts to devour an actual, captured world, she takes a deep breath.
This goes against everything she's actually done as a Guardian for years now, and all she can do is hope that her warnings weren't in vein. She mentally chastises herself for thinking like this, but if at least all the possibly aware folk might've been evacuated if there were any present, there's always a chance some creative game-master or group of players will pick up and recreate their game from when they 'lost' their pace.

"Heavier?" she eventually asks, turning her attention back to Engineer "No wait... nevermind, questions after. What do you need me to do to try and help fix this?"

Dathiel

• First Class Poster
  • ... Always Triumphs!
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2013, 07:20:16 pm »

“We’ve materialized inside a system, the planet is what we are supposed to anchor, but it seems it’ll be destroyed regardless. Here… pick a future and pour whatever influence you can into the one you want. I’ll concentrate on stabilization, but when the planet is gone we are going to fall – prepare for it.” Then no more words come from Architect, he manipulates the eye until Taross can see two paths before the monstrosity.

When Taross looks at the paths in front of her, she can see a few things more clearly, like the planet in front of her is actually a scientific facility. The number of people on that facility cannot be more than a dozen, two of them have red flags , one of which is Braelyn Renvares – Rath’s husband with a ‘do not eat’ flag, and …Hugo Easton with a ‘giant headache’ flag above his name. Even as she looks a new ‘giant headache’ flag appears with the name ‘Jessica Easton’ attached to it. She barely has time to look at the other names (enough to know no more guardians appear to be around) before the differences become apparent.

One outcome has the Azuredawn devouring the planet and falling immediately after; however the damage to the surface of the Azuredawn – the weave – will be considerable. Enough damage where one… even two ‘safe’ zones will have to be sacrificed and millions of inhabitants of the Azuredawn’s skin will be destroyed. Minimal damage will be dealt to the system though, gravitational forces will have minimal effect on the extremely flexible system.

The second outcome has the Azuredawn eating the facility and ‘a bit’ of the system the facility is in, but the damage to the Azuredawn will be minimal. Since there is no more anchor at the end, when the Azuredawn is finished eating the world it will fall before too much damage to the system occurs. The weave will have a surge of material added to it, repairing stabilizing and even strengthening it. None of the ‘safe’ zones would have to be sacrificed. The system however will experience severe casualties as other planets even rules will be devoured.

As the paths start fluctuating she can tell some details are changing the longer she waits, as the Azuredawn starts eating the facility the chances increase that the Azuredawn will simply eat as much as it can while trying to hold the facility in place. A third more disastrous path emerges where the Azuredawn gains enough strength to eat the weave, the curse around it.

It may beg the question ‘What on Primary is on that damned plant?’ because under normal circumstances a horrific path that leads to the freedom of the Azuredawn would never be attainable.

Architect is not weaving these futures, he is trying to stabilize the fluctuating futures swimming around, but even he can only do so much as time slips by.

OOC: Just because there are three paths to influence doesn't mean Taross cannot try for a different option, and she may not get all the details in the option she tries to influence. The Azuredawn will fall in 2 turns.

Taross Blackburn

• Administrator
  • Thread Staff Sergeant
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2013, 11:09:16 am »

The first thing Architect can hear is Taross swearing. Most of it might not be reckognisable to him but the words 'Easton' 'Insufferable' and 'Idiot Genius' might be pretty clear. For a few moments she actually entertains the thought of letting the Azuredawn eat it all, spit out Braelyn and let it eat the one probably responsible for putting this in the path of the Azuredawn... Then though she realizes that this can most likely lead to a Branch appearing that IS Hugo and she does not want to make the Azuredawn suffer through that; Jessica being only a marginally better change to the situation.

Eventually she settles onto an idea... "Architect... Can you help me try and trick the Azuredawn into thinking that that entire building and everything in it belongs under the 'Braelyn' flag and has to be spat out? I'll explain later..."

With that, Taross starts to manipulate chance that puts Braelyn close to any part of the facility that the Azuredawn is trying to eat, hoping to make it so that it will decide that just ejecting the entire building is a less time and energy wasting process than trying to 'eat around' the thing it's not allowed to consume. She's aware that she's going to condemn basically everyone else on that world -and for that matter many, many more in the system- to being devoured...

"I gave them one... easy... warning..." she mutters while breathing deeply in concentration. Stay away... that's all... Should've told them to just rush headlong into their doom instead..."

(( Choices... choices... :D ))

Dathiel

• First Class Poster
  • ... Always Triumphs!
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2013, 03:55:42 pm »

When Architect begins work on the path suggested by Taross; soon red flags start popping up all over the place. Taross can see the Azuredawn start eating the path they are working on.

After a moment Architect finds the reason why and pulls it up for the Goddess of Luck.

The title of the device is called “The God machine” several of the names she saw before all pop up in relation to the creation of the device (none of those names are Braelyn, Jessica, or Hugo – they seem to be innocent bystanders).

Architect shows a recording of someone looking a lot like a torn and ragged Braelyn Renvares; ‘You need to eat this entire facility once we are all gone – every last part of it, including the machine that set all this madness in motion. There can’t be any trace of it left.’

“Apparently we can’t spit the planet back out. It’s not up for negotiation, the planet, the machine, it’s gone as far as the Azuredawn is concerned. What I’m worried about is this…” At this Architect sifts through paths until he shows the one with the Azuredawn escaping the curse. “If you look closely, that happens when we land. As a direct result of eating this thing. The weave continues on from there though. Apparently this won’t kill us, which means whatever we can influence on that event we still have time to find.”

Even as the paths solidify around Braelyn’s order Taross can see something strange happen. The Azuredawn abandons all interest in the FARCE system; it focuses everything on reaching out and enveloping the machine crunching the weave further. Anything eaten in the FARCE system is as a direct result of the Azuredawn attacking the facility – and thankfully no planets stand in the way, it's mostly just the vacuum, radiation, dust of the space between the Azuredawn and the facility.

Taross Blackburn

• Administrator
  • Thread Staff Sergeant
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2013, 04:41:45 pm »

Taross shakes her head and then sighs... "If I make it back to those people... I'm going to have to sit them down and explain why using an unstoppable force of destruction as a wastebin is not a good thing." she says, sounding a bit exasparated. "But I guess there's nothing to it now, it's being eaten anyway..."
She nods to Architect "I know, I saw that too and that's exactly what I wanted to prevent by NOT eating that damned device. "

Taross mms, rubbing the back of her neck a moment as she thinks on this "Now... correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't I put the only person away in my Hall who could make this happen?" she starts "IF she gets eaten, the 'prison' breaks and it's free... So what we might want to check is how that device might influence her getting out?"
It's just a train of thought she had right now, but before she can wait for an answer proper, Taross 'uh-ohs' and looks for somewhere to brace.

"Does look like it's almost done eating and falling again... "
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7