Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: The God Machine (closedRP)  (Read 10847 times)

Dathiel

• First Class Poster
  • ... Always Triumphs!
Re: The God Machine (closedRP)
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2013, 06:24:16 am »

Braelyn’s words hang in the air for a moment.

“It could be that his plans changed when Hugo arrived, the two of them love to fight some times.” Rath murmurs this in a low tone to Braelyn, trying not to attract Hugo’s attention with those words.

“I never said things were under control, after all; I love chaos.” Icarus had only a passing familiarity with Hugo’s reputation, so he doesn’t fully understand the magnitude of Hugo’s statement, instead he gives the Etherite a broad grin. Rath is very familiar with Hugo’s reputation as is Cassandra the two of them exchange a significant look. Clark and Naomi only look moderately concerned. Agrippa pauses for a long solid moment.

“In the beginning when I first funded everything the facility was purely for research purposes, then I got my hands on Pierce and suddenly work proceeded much more quickly than I had originally anticipated. In the beginning I was merely looking for minor reality manipulations, nothing too fancy. But now, I came here because of this.” Icarus pulls out a silver spoon from his jacket pocket and holds it out to Doctor Easton and then shows it to Rath and Braelyn. “This is one of the small scale tests Mr. Keaton has done, supposedly the spoon was created from nothing, but… well… it smells weird.”

The first thing anyone will note about the spoon is that it is visibly hot to the touch, Icarus has fire resistance, but it is not recommended you touch the spoon with your bare hands.

Agrippa is the only one paying real attention to ARTURo, making mental notes. When he sees the spoon and the tools he pulls out a disc–like object from inside his coat, apparently ready to do some tests of his own. Instead of looking at the spoon though, instead he heads to the lab door.

NerdyCanuck

• Global Moderator
  • Board Head
  • GDH Admin/Rehab
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2013, 04:04:43 pm »

"Ah..." Braelyn whispers in response to Rath's hushed comments. He wasn't exactly placated, but as no one else had deigned to answer him he knew it would be impolite and borderline obnoxious to press the issue. Surely there must be some reason other than his issues with Hugo for Malloy to be absent but Braelyn forced himself to turn the issue aside for the time being. He would learn that soon enough, he suspected.

The talk about chaos brings a light smile to his lips, one that withers slightly at the mention of the spoon being created from nothing. "Created from nothing? That's interesting. I'm no scientist, but I'd almost wager that the presence of an odd smell might be some indication that something other than nothing actually went into creating it. Maybe...without anyone knowing?" In his experience, things weren't ever created from nothing, though being a man of the cloth he was admittedly biased in that regard.

He might have liked to touch the spoon but cut off from the majority of Sashenka as he was, his ability to resist fire was supremely diminished. He was like a regular man in that regard. He might have pouted, but Agrippa's separation from the group draws his attention. oO(The lab door? Well, well, well...) He doesn't step away from the group to follow but he does watch to see what Agrippa does.

Janus

• RPG Collector Supreme
  • Administrator
  • First Class Poster
  • "I'll explain that later."
    • Gamer's End RP Wiki
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2013, 11:47:01 pm »

Hugo frowns at the idea of "something from nothing".  While the principle of conservation of mass when an entirely Technocratic theory, Hugo did hold that there was always some sort of price being paid for the creation or destruction of a pattern.  Even Jauntspace was subject to this in some form or another, even if the exact methods were not entirely understood yet.

"I am a scientist, and I find any work highly suspect that makes such claims.  It borders on the justification that a feat was completed 'because of magic'."

The fact that there was damage to this System (even if it is a slight amount) from a past Shunt Travel from Manos Perdix already has Hugo starting to calculate theories.  Reaching for the parts that ARTURo has brought up, Dr. Easton starts attaching some sort of energy coils to a transparent cylindrical chamber.  It's not immediately evident what he is building, but the scientist has a view in his mind of past damage caused by Shunts: objects and even geographic masses leaking in from the outside inspirations or symmetries, appearing as if they had always belonged.  While the damage was not so bad here that the spoon was a likely 'leak item', what if the stability of the local reality was allowing for this machine to be taking away from the substructure... the very essence of the rules and guidelines that gave the imaginings form and substance?

((This starts the assembly of a Prime/Matter/Forces effect.  Details will come soon on mechanics, but this is an extended build to lower the difficulty of what is being attempted.  This will likely need to be treated as a Vulger effect, as there is no way the local reality would accept someone being able to 'break the fourth wall' in order to see if game rules or a writer's bible was being messed with.))
Doctor Hugo Easton - Mad SCIENCE!
Webhunter - College Student Werewolf
Azure Reg - Shadowrun Thief & British Mutant

Learn about them all by finding my links right HERE

Dathiel

• First Class Poster
  • ... Always Triumphs!
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2013, 03:02:15 pm »

“Yes it would seem so.” Icarus responds to Braelyn with a playful wink. “But what is the mystery ingredient? And why is it a secret?” Despite being a soul sucker, Icarus has his own brand of scholarly intellect. He watches Hugo as he puts together the device with open curiosity.

Rath on the other hand, looks at the spoon and grows pale. He goes over and grabs Braelyn just above the elbow, not really caring about how it looks.

“You need to leave. Right now. If you are worried about my anchor, then know that I’ll just get another one and come back to you.” Could it be? After thousands of years was Rath finally knowing what fear feels like again? Either way he doubts that Braelyn will leave after he finds out where the spoon comes from. He could stop Hugo from assembling the machine, but the others would believe a known and respected dimensional etherite. The only answer was to get Braelyn out before anything else happened.

Agrippa is openly scanning the next room, and trying to hack the lock on the lab. The disk like object he is manipulating seems to be a miniature computer with a holographic interface. Naomi soon joins him, looking over the former mage’s shoulder.

Janus

• RPG Collector Supreme
  • Administrator
  • First Class Poster
    • Gamer's End RP Wiki
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2013, 11:52:17 pm »

Hugo's assembly of parts continues with the injection of some Jauntspace Phlostigen into the chamber, sealing the swirling yellow and green gas in.  The colors never completely blend, creating an unreal effect for anyone paying close attention.

"Science of this magnitude is not some high budget version of Iron Chef, Mr. Chief Financial Officer.  Secret ingredients are for those that either wish to hide their true work, or do not have the courage to admit when they cannot explain what they have done."

The chamber is then affixed to the end of some sort of laser pointer, an audible 'click' sounding as it's secured.  The final piece seems to be a ring with three small tuning forks pointing up... this also goes on the chamber on the opposite side of the laser pointer.  When done, Hugo tests the beam and it shines straight through the gas chamber and out between the tuning forks.

"There... now, let us hope we are not walking upon the dimensional equivalent of thin ice just by standing in this room..."

Fully powering up the device, Hugo seems somewhat pleased that the standard red laser has changed to an indigo color.  There's a light blue glow from the energy coils on the gas chamber, some sort of reaction inside as the laser passes through, and the tuning forks are vibrating at a disturbingly bass tone (at least, it might disturb anyone that knows anything about the physics of sound).  After touching the beam to the spoon, the beam then splits and creats a cone that will highlight what Hugo's looking for.

((Prime 2/Matter 2/Forces 1 - Hugo is looking for a resonating trace on whatever the spoon is made up of and then looking for the source of the "stuff".  This trace is focused on the essential building blocks of the System, will highlight any forming gaps in the reality that are sympathetic with the spoon.  This is a low difficulty task, given that Hugo has spent extra time assembling the device.  Excellent Success = Hugo knows exactly what is "off" about the spoon, and can find the source of it's creation if it is within a reasonable range (GM's discretion).  Good Success = Hugo will know what price was paid to make the spoon, and he will be able to detect where that price was taken from.  Normal Success = Hugo will trace any disturbances in reality caused by the creation of the spoon.  Poor success = Hugo will know if there is a price paid, and if it damaged the system.  Critical Fail = Damage the spoon.  Paradox chance = Moderate.  Max effect is a minor backlash on Hugo, possibly causing his arm to experience temporary dysfunction.))
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 01:13:59 am by Janus »

NerdyCanuck

• Global Moderator
  • Board Head
  • GDH Admin/Rehab
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2013, 04:31:55 pm »

The response that Braelyn had for Icarus is shoved aside the moment that Rath grabs his elbow and issues his warning. His eyes widen and his attention, focused moments ago on multiple things (including Hugo's assembly of his device), are now fully on his husband. He pulls Rath away from the crowd by just a step and leans in to speak in a low voice, "Rath, honey, I love you but no. I'm not going to leave you here to face whatever this is alone. Even with your ability to just create a new anchor, I can't just sit idly by and wait for that to happen."

The expression on his face might resemble that of a kicked puppy. He continues, his voice strained but determined, "I want to be here to try and protect you. If I fail at that, I at least want to be on hand to deliver some divine retribution on the asshole responsible for all this." For the first time in months, there can be seen a glimmer of the man that had been capable of aiding and abetting in the kidnap and torture of a Guardian; his expression hardens. "Don't ask me to leave again, Rath. I won't."

He looks away then, his eyes trailing Agrippa. "In a possibly unrelated line of thinking...does this system have an ethereal plane?"

OOC: Apologies on the delay! I was out of town helping my folks move. Their internet only goes online today, thus I wasn't able to really get online on anything I can stand to type a post on.

Dathiel

• First Class Poster
  • ... Always Triumphs!
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2013, 09:59:31 pm »

Icarus chuckles in agreement with Hugo’s words and shakes his head slightly before adjusting the spoon to make a better target.

“If we were on dimensionally thin ice, I’m pretty sure Rath would fall through first.” Icarus seems confident of this as he looks to Rath, but he is thoroughly ignored by the elf.

The kicked puppy dog face has a visible effect on Rath, and he lets go of Braelyn’s arm with a hurt look of his own. If he was honest with himself he would probably do the same thing if their positions were switched. Instead of pressing the issue further Rath merely nods.

“Yes this place has an ethereal plane, just be warned, because of the batteries here it’s a little closer than normal.” It’s not the most descriptive term, but it’s the only one Rath can think of that fits.

The spoon seems to mostly be made of silver with a few other trace metals. Completely normal materials by anyone’s standards, until Hugo’s device starts the trace.

The rules of the system allow for dummy objects or copied objects, but those objects are usually destroyed within twenty four hours of creation, this spoon was lasting longer than that for two reasons; for one: it was created in an alternate reality and pulled through a relatively small rip in existence. The second reason: nineteen primitive reality batteries anchor the spoon to this reality. The spoon is hot to the touch because the system’s time limit on ‘dummy’ items has run out and this reality was rejecting the spoon, and failing.

The rip the spoon was pulled through is too small to trace the spoon’s exact origin (exact reality the spoon came from), as for what price was paid for the spoon, it was taken from both the system and the reality batteries. Damage to the system is minor, and even as Hugo runs the test he can tell, that if the hold the reality batteries has is released, the tear in existence will repair itself with no fear of instability and little in the way of repercussions on the system itself. (Being a protosystem, rules may evolve to prevent long-term-extra-dimensional duplicates from existing for long periods of time even if sufficient power and resources are used to anchor such items.)

Just as Hugo sifts through the results, everyone will notice a sudden hum in the air coming from all directions at once. If the disturbing bass tone started annoying some people, than this sound would swing in the opposite direction, reverberating with sickly smoothness.

It looks like they just started the machine up.

NerdyCanuck

• Global Moderator
  • Board Head
  • GDH Admin/Rehab
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2013, 03:45:42 pm »

Braelyn is not ignorant of what the others are discussing but he is too preoccupied with talking to Rath to really pay them more than partial attention. His gaze fixed squarely on Rath, he nods to show his relief at not having to argue further. "All right, then I have a plan. I can't imagine that Agrippa over there is going to be able to open the door to the lab from this side. But if I can slip through on the Ethereal side I might be able to help. Then these sciency types can..." He trails off, not really sure what they could do.

He waves a hand, "Well, I'm sure we'll figure that out when we get there." His trademark smile returns but not for long. It's right around now that the machine starts up. The disturbing base, which Braelyn had largely put out of his mind, switches to much smoother reverberation that was distracting enough so as to derail his current thought. He blinks once, frowning. "Ah, yes. Anyway. So, you sit tight my dearest husband. No shenanigans while I'm over yonder."

He kisses Rath lightly before parting ways. It wasn't easy to leave Rath knowing that the machine was likely now running, but he had to do something and even Braelyn had to admit that standing there watching Rath wasn't going to help anyone. Approaching Agrippa, he coughs softly and asks, "I might be able to get to the other side of that door to open it from that side. What's your best guess as to the opening mechanism?"

Janus

• RPG Collector Supreme
  • Administrator
  • First Class Poster
    • Gamer's End RP Wiki
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2013, 09:44:26 pm »

"I have bad news for you, and I have good news.  The bad news is that there is nothing 'real' about that spoon.  It is a temporary projection using dimensional phase shifting and reality buffers.  It requires a portion of this facility's power to maintain that object beyond its expiration time, and I suspect that the requirements for maintenance will increase the longer it is kept."

Amber traces of energy start to illuminate paths from the spoon to the microfissures in reality.

"The good news is that as soon as that object is dismissed, the damage it is causing to your world will repair itself."

Of course, it's right after that point that the machine starts up, and Hugo scowls even more than usual.

"Of course, if some blasted fool attempts to 'create' an entire reality from this proxy matter without knowing or caring about the costs that were being demanded, who knows what might happen.  Peer reviewed papers exist for a reason!"

While Braelyn is going to attempt to walk past the door using dimensional sidestep, Hugo is going for a more brute force approach.  It's likely his plan may take a bit longer, however... If the door does not open for anyone else by the time Hugo gets there, the Etherite will have his metal hand ungloved and will be reaching out to grasp the metal surface.  If successful, the door will appear to become the consistency of clay while Hugo pulls open a hole that he and others can fit through.  This, of course, assumes that the door has not been reinforced by some exotic method.

((Matter 3, supported by expending some of Hugo's quintessence - Moderate Difficulty (High if door is exotic matter) - The size of the opening and the speed it's created in depends on success margin.  Failure means no opening is possible.  Critical fail will reinforce the door structure.  Paradox chance is moderate, if there is backlash then Hugo's arm would be affected.))
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 09:59:11 pm by Janus »

Dathiel

• First Class Poster
  • ... Always Triumphs!
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2013, 11:04:24 pm »

Rath nods as Braelyn heads towards Agrippa. “No shenanigans…” But the machine is on now, and with the machine comes the activation of all nineteen reality batteries. The monster in him was stuck here now as he couldn’t leave without eating everything here. So not allowed to eat (read: not eating my husband and don’t want the Easton haunting me), and not allowed to just leave; he was slowly going to be cut to ribbons until the machine was turned off. Hiding the first minor cut from his husband was easy enough at the moment, but Rath was now more concerned with turning the machine off.

Agrippa looks to Braelyn and screws up his face a little, as if the idea of using magic was distasteful somehow. But never one to overlook useful skills in the face of a time limit Agrippa fishes out a small box from inside his coat and hands it over to Braelyn.

“There should be an obvious key pad on the other side – next to it should be an override box. Put this on the override wherever there is circuitry and I should be able to pop the door open.” Agrippa then turns to face Hugo in light of Hugo’s findings his face becomes a grim mask.

Braelyn will have no trouble getting around the door by using Ethereal Jaunt and he emerges safely on the other side close to a familiar looking troll; Varaka. The brute’s mottled green and brown back is to the lab door so and no one else seems to be in the immediate vicinity. Braelyn has not emerged from the ethereal plane yet though (a minute and a half duration).

When Hugo gets to and inspects the lab door materials he will find that the door is reinforced with some strange matter which will make it more difficult to transmute and will take a little bit more time.

Icarus puts away the spoon and follows Dr. Easton to the door with Cassie.

“Dr. Easton, if what you are saying is true, then interrupting the machine while it’s in a mid-test could be dangerous. I know the kind of damage I saw from the reality manipulation – the amount of energy involved is monstrous. Why would Malloy do a large scale test if the small test is so inconclusive and temporary?” she pauses a moment then looks towards Icarus and Rath. “This machine isn’t supposed to do this is it? It may have started as a reality altering device, but somewhere along the line the purpose of this machine changed. It’s the only explanation.”

NerdyCanuck

• Global Moderator
  • Board Head
  • GDH Admin/Rehab
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2013, 01:45:14 am »

It was always interesting crossing over into the ethereal plane and though Braelyn had no real experience with actual ghostliness, he tended to imagine that this was what it must be like to be a ghost. To see the corporeal world but not really be able to interact with it. It was a fascinating train of thought that he might have liked to entertain further were his mind not presently occupied with the notion of preventing his husband from being ripped apart by these forces at work.

And so it is with an inward sigh that he positions himself by the key pad and returns to the material plane. With the swiftness of someone that had dabbled now and then in slight of hand, Braelyn positions the device that Agrippa had given him on the circuitry he saw. He smiles in satisfaction at a job apparently well done and turns to the troll that he dearly hoped hadn't quite noticed him just yet.

Braelyn positions himself so that his body blocks any casual glances from spying the device, "Oh Varaka dear, what am I to do with you?" He clucks his tongue in the manner of a concerned mother, "You look just dreadful. All this temporal whatchamacallit is doing a number on your usually lovely skin." A hand goes his cheek as his eyebrows pinch together and upwards anxiously.

EDIT: Just fixed a word!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 11:19:11 pm by Faye »

Dathiel

• First Class Poster
  • ... Always Triumphs!
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2013, 04:26:46 am »

Varaka whirls around surprised at Braelyn’s sudden appearance. The giant (8ft tall) heavily muscled brute has more piercings all over his face and through his two large tusks, in one hand is a lever he is gripping tightly, his free hand is used to wipe some of his long orange hair out of his eyes. Skull tattoo on his upper arm, and while he wears no shirt he is wearing his favorite brown pants.

“Yo, yo, yo! If it isn’t my favorite Wankster! What’s a fine cat like you doin’ here without a beanshooter? I ain’t heard of no chicks allowed back here! Whatchya doin man?” Braelyn would have some experience navigating the annoying gang accent. The troll doesn’t have a weapon handy, but Braelyn knows from experience the troll doesn’t need any.

When the door slides open, the troll glares at the newcomer’s behind Braelyn.

“Hey now! This Dump ain’t for you babe’s! Go take a walk back out the way you came!” The troll seems reluctant to leave his post, one hand is still holding the lever down, but the Troll is now looking for objects close to him – possibly to throw.

((OOC: I asked Hugo if I could go ahead and post this, and he agreed. I am also cutting out and replacing a lot of swearing present in the gangster talk – you guys can us your imaginations on that.))

Janus

• RPG Collector Supreme
  • Administrator
  • First Class Poster
    • Gamer's End RP Wiki
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2013, 02:31:32 am »

As a consummate Mad Scientist, Hugo was greatly annoyed by having the door not bend to his will.  It's fortunate for Agrippa that he actually had a decent rapport with Dr. Easton, as the annoyance is not aimed at him.  Now there is an over muscled minion spouting linguistic drivel, bringing the average IQ of the room down with every syllable.  It was going to be too much to expect Hugo to act calmly, diplomatically, or even with the social dignity that Braelyn possessed.  Hugo needed to shoot something, and it was highly likely that the troll was not a reality load bearing character.

"Cease your blathering, mental midget."

Whipping out his neurolaser, Hugo winces as he pumps the firearm with a significant portion of his Quintessence stores, re-tuning the beam to alter the stunning properties into a resonating energy wave which causes the air around the troll to polymerize and harden.  There's a good chance that the neurolaser would get burnt out by the effect, considering there was little time for the proper calculations, but luckily that is why Hugo always carried spare parts.

((Forces 3/Matter 3 - Difficulty Moderate - a good level of success will encase the troll from the neck down.  Variations on this will mean only partial encasement or enhanced strength for how long it will last.  Quintessence spent is to make the effect last without Hugo sustaining it.  Paradox level is variable on GM's wishes, immediate backlash can be physical backfire on Hugo or even some mental unhinging as Hugo strays closer to his nature that gave birth to Faustus))

NerdyCanuck

• Global Moderator
  • Board Head
  • GDH Admin/Rehab
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2013, 02:44:24 pm »

Braelyn keeps himself between the troll and device; without knowing for sure whether Hugo had the power to actually take Varaka down, he didn't want to take the chance that his allies only means of entrance into this room might be disrupted. And it was so, so damn hard to stand there like a good boy when all he wanted to do was pursue Malloy and make him turn off his dreadful machine.

"I do apologize for not introducing you two sooner." Braelyn says, though the two had only met  just seconds earlier, "This here is Varaka, Doctor Easton." He has no comment on the violent nature of the good doctor's greeting; having ran with the mafia for a time, Braelyn was well familiar with such greetings. He had used some on occasion himself, though he preferred not to.

"Nasty business that..." He murmurs under his breath. Should anyone hear that last bit, he'll smile and wave a hand, "Old reminiscing. Bad time, I know."

Spells Used: 1 x 7th Level
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 05:47:07 pm by Faye »

Dathiel

• First Class Poster
  • ... Always Triumphs!
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2013, 06:05:36 pm »

Seeing the neurolaser aimed at him visibly pales the troll who lets go of the lever and puts his hands up in a sign of surrender. The polymer hardens quickly and encases the troll from the neck down, his hands are pinned harmlessly up above his head.

“Easy man! I ain’t got no beef with you.” Apparently whatever his job is, bravery is not a part of it. A least not when it comes to a potentially angry mob.

For a silent moment after the troll is encased in polymer resin not a sound can be heard, then the lever slowly moves into the upright position.

Looking around the new room, it is a lab with quite a few work tables scattered around the edges of the room, a large ‘clean’ room for potentially volatile experiments is sectioned off towards the back, and the center of the circular room is sectioned off as well with a large gap in the floor filled with the top most parts of the machine. There are three exits, including a set of stairs off a catwalk around the machine in the center. A counter counting down from 60 hangs in front of the glass that walls off the center machine, it seems to be counting down seconds.

One of the walls has the word ‘Control’ painted above a large reinforced glass window, Malloy Keaton is clearly visible on the other side of the glass. Wearing his trademark lab coat, the dark haired man is staring at the events in the main lab (where you are) blankly with pale blue eyes.  One of the exits has the word ‘control room’ on it, the door is open.

Rath has not joined the crowd heading to the inner lab, and neither has Clark.

((OOC: I’ll get a hold of you Hugo to talk about paradox manifestation.)) 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7