Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Cascades (Closed RP) - Finished  (Read 6111 times)

Dathiel

• First Class Poster
  • ... Always Triumphs!
Cascades (Closed RP) - Finished
« on: March 25, 2013, 03:18:22 am »

For the last two weeks Tiernan Barimen has never worked so long and hard in his entire life with so little sleep waiting for him at the end of the day. There was no lazy way out, and he foolishly volunteered for the long haul.

Everwish started collapsing halfway through week one when the diplomatic route with Gamer’s End seemed to hit a stall. That’s when other true Chaliceborn arrived to help the failing pillar. Their names were always forgettable and generic, one even went by the name ‘Bob’. Their faces were even more slippery, Tiernan could never remember what they looked like after they left, only that they were familiar when they came around again.

Between the Gamer’s End, the Gaming Guardians, the Chaliceborn (who never stayed to interact with Guardians no matter how diplomatic Tiernan tried to be), and a forth black-clad group that never identified themselves (but always remained polite to Tiernan) the inhabitants of Everwish were evacuated in little over a week.

That’s not to say things had been easy though. Avenger started visiting daily, at first he was trying to convince the Pillar to join with his Scribe. Then other false Chaliceborn came, then there was always violence from that point on. Inhabitants of Everwish, true Chaliceborn, and some volunteers from the Outpost always managed to turn the enemy away – but the strain of supporting Everwish grew with every assault.

Even other Amberites present in the system were no help. Tiernan slowly realized a difference between himself and the amberites that were a part of Everwish… maybe it was the training he received from Rath, maybe it was his time among the Guardians, maybe it was how the Pillar used him to stabilize Everwish. Whatever the cause, Tiernan was able to do things the other amberites weren't able too, and he was beginning to see things.

Strange visions, silly might-have-beens and never were’s – not just with himself but other people, other stories. Each became another weight pressing down on him.

Towards the end of the second week, when most inhabitants left Everwish, the system crumbled at an increasing rate. Those who refused to leave the system were now doomed to fall with it.

Throughout it all, the Pillar has barely said more than a handful of words. Born Bethany Williams, she’s insisted Tiernan call her Betty. At the end of the second week, when most of the inhabitants are gone, she turns to Tiernan, “Time to let this go now, isn’t it hun?”

Even as she speaks to Tiernan he can feel parts of the world start to fade away. It’s only the two of them in the former temple where they first met, and after an exhausting two weeks the idea of letting go may be met with no small degree of relief.

OOC: Short Sequel to the Everwish Thread

« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 03:47:16 pm by Rath »

NerdyCanuck

• Global Moderator
  • Board Head
  • GDH Admin/Rehab
Re: Cascades (Closed RP)
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 01:24:05 pm »

With eyes more tired than he'd ever remembered them being, Tiernan turns to Betty and offers her a wan smile. "Yes, I guess it is. We both know what that means, though. For Everwish...and you." He kneels down beside her and gently places a hand over one of hers. "Are you ready for what's coming?"

The fond tone of his voice is not at all forced. Here, there was no one he needed to lie to or fool with his endless charm. Having spent the past two weeks with this frail, failing woman, Tiernan had found himself developing a deep appreciation for her resilience and determination. Very few would have the strength to stick it out two more weeks, let alone the stretch of time which saw Avenger visit them.

He thought about offering her a quick way out, though he dismissed that thought as quickly as he formed it. In her state, it was more than likely that she would within moments of his departure. There was no need to waste even the minute amount of energy it would take to end things sooner. And besides, it would hurt...and the 'natural' way was likely painless.

"I know I'm ready, Betty."

Dathiel

• First Class Poster
  • ... Always Triumphs!
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 04:46:04 pm »

“The thing is, I’m not ready. You are your friends have a lot on your collective plates, and I’m not the type of gal to just leave something unfinished.” She pauses a moment and then looks at Tiernan’s face with blind eyes. Not really seeing him, but the pattern that was him. “I never told you how I came to be here did I? Suppose Nevon must’ve given you guys the short story.”

“Scribes and potential scribes… well… almost everyone back home, they have this thing called a cascade. Everything we do comes from our minds and cascades down through our pens and into the worlds you see out here. I polluted my cascade when I saved this world and the inhabitants of another world from dying. When a cascade is polluted nothing ever comes out right again. The reason why I won’t be able to survive the death of this world is because I sacrificed my cascade ages ago. Don’t be concerned… I’m just saying that looking back on everything I’ve done; the end really did justify the means I went through to get here. Everyone had a peaceful life… more or less, I don’t regret any of it.”

“I know I've rambled on now more than I have in weeks, but … I have a regret now. I regret that there isn't anything I can do to help the Chaliceborn out, or your friends. One of my own is going on a tear and I can’t do anything about it here and now without taking a long hard look at things and deciding if the end would justify the means to get there.”

“So Tiernan my lad, if I told you there was a way to help stop the scribe, the false ones that follow him, and everything he’s doing, put some order back in the worlds, and help do a little good at the potential cost of one person’s life… would the end justify the means?”

NerdyCanuck

• Global Moderator
  • Board Head
  • GDH Admin/Rehab
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 02:22:44 pm »

Tiernan nods, "The short story sounds about right." As Betty goes into length as to how she ended up in the here and now, the Amberite falls silent and listens. What she ended up saying made quite a lot of sense to him and he found himself agreeing; generally speaking, and especially for one that had as few morals as he did, the ends tended to justify the means. "I wouldn't regret any of that either, Betty. You did what you had to."

Her question makes him smile, though she couldn't possibly see as much. "There are so many things you don't know about me, my dear. I look at things very differently than most and don't have issues with sacrificing a life in this case, provided that the life in question isn't my own." He chuckles softly, "Selfish as that might sound, I'm not really a hero. Not that kind of hero, anyway. But to answer your question, yes. I think the ends do justify the means in this case."

A part of him that he hadn't had a chance to exercise in well over a year stirred just then. The old part, the one that his old Master had ingrained in him in his teenage years, the part of him that he occassionally missed being able to exercise. With a tone of voice long out of practice, he inclines his head towards Betty and asks, "Who did you have in mind?"

Dathiel

• First Class Poster
  • ... Always Triumphs!
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 03:29:37 pm »

“Cutting right to the chase I see.” Her tone is warm as she reaches into her pocket.

“It’s a ‘what’ more than a ‘who’, I had an old friend of mine make this before he left us a few days ago.” She pulls out a photograph from her pocket, though Tiernan can see it’s more like a trump in that it’ll give an exact location.

The photograph is of a man with a long black beard, tanned skin, and black eyes. He’s clad in yellow and red elegant robes. Over his beard is a simple rough cut ruby on a gold chain. He seems to be in a desert of some sort.

“I would like it very much if you could go after that necklace, the current owner doesn’t know what he has, but he’s pictured right there. Don’t know name or details, only that he may not want to part with his necklace. It’s a Dark Sun world, magic items – especially one of that power – tend to be rare there.” She pauses a moment looking concerned. “Hun, if you do have to kill him, make sure he isn’t wearing the necklace when it happens.”

Despite her resolve she looks a little sad that her request may end someone else’s life.

“I’d be very grateful if you could get this for me as quickly as possible.”

NerdyCanuck

• Global Moderator
  • Board Head
  • GDH Admin/Rehab
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 02:38:35 pm »

Tiernan's eyes narrow as he stares at the Trump. Given the way it was constructed, he would have surmised based on its appearance that it would have allowed him to contact the individual depicted on it, but the sense he got from holding it told a different story. This would more than likely take him to the desert. oO(Oh good, some place that isn't wet. I like that.)

He switches his gaze back to Betty for a brief moment, searching for nothing in particular before turning back to the Trump. He eyes the necklace and wonders. oO(Might be unlikely, but I wonder if this necklace might be similar to the Jewel of Judgement. This is no true Amber, but there were enough like us around here that something of its nature isn't out of the question. Guess I'll see when the time comes.)

"Magic items being rare there will make my job all the easier." Despite saying that, he realizes that there may well be challenge enough ahead of him. Smiling in anticipation of the fun that was just ahead of him, he finishes, "I'll try not to kill him." Though it didn't matter to him one whit whether the man on the Trump lived or died, Tiernan sounded sincere enough. How hard he tried to keep to that statement, however, was another matter entirely. "Well, I'll see you soon."

And with that, he focuses the entirety of his concentration on the landscape on the Trump...
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 09:41:08 pm by Faye »

Dathiel

• First Class Poster
  • ... Always Triumphs!
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 10:19:00 pm »

Bit by bit, the world folds shifts and changes around him as he walks through shadow in order to arrive at the place depicted in the photograph in his hand. The first thing he’ll notice about the world of Athas is the unforgiving heat under the blaring light of the sun. The desert sands seem to fly around at the slightest breeze – taking every opportunity to sting the amberite as if moved by some malevolent hand.

Behind the amberite is a lone tower made of obsidian rock, all vegetation in the area is withered or dead. There are more than a few small dead animals in the area around the tower, he can even hear anguished screams from inside the tower itself; but a look at the pattern reveals that something seems to be siphoning energy from Tiernan’s surroundings.

With Pattern Sight he can tell that the tower is mostly a hollowed out shell, there are a few magic traps laying around, and a large construct laying in the shadow of the tower. At first glance it looks like crystalized darkness, but as it starts to move Tiernan can hear a loud shriek of glass. Sharp jagged edges protrude from every part of the creature, black powered dust drift slowly from the joints as it starts to move – reacting to Tiernan’s presence. It’s animated but not alive, and it’s quite large. When it stands to its full height, it’s about 14 feet tall with a reach to match it.

Though it is moving, Tiernan still has time before the creature starts charging towards him.

NerdyCanuck

• Global Moderator
  • Board Head
  • GDH Admin/Rehab
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 02:52:36 pm »

Ominous black tower? Check. Glass construct whose goal is likely to eliminate intruders? Double check. "Well then. This seems like the equivalent of the fire that follows the frying pan..." In case he needs it again in the future, Tiernan tucks the Trump inside his vest.

He chuckles softly, "Now...what to do..." His options are woefully limited just then; there isn't much by way of cover save for various sand dunes scattered about. Heading for the nearest one that might shield him from view, he climbs with as much speed as he can muster.

Once he has secured some measure of cover, he puts his mind to good use. oO(All right. That thing's not alive but can more than likely be disabled or killed in some way. I might even be able to convince it not to harm me if I can just touch it but...that requires enough surface area that won't cut me to ribbons..)

His brow furrows into a frown, oO(I have options, but the most effective involve the Pattern and some amount of rule breaking. It might be best to wait on those just so I can at least claim I had no other choice. For now...) He reaches into his outer layers for a handful of his throwing knives; they were a meager defense, to be sure, but could possibly serve to jam critical joints.

Dathiel

• First Class Poster
  • ... Always Triumphs!
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 03:44:03 am »

Tiernan moves as swiftly as possible over the dunes, and out of sight of the construct. When observing the contrast he can see it seems to react to movement. As soon as nothing is moving near the tower, the construct melts back into the shadows becoming still once again – suggesting a range that the construct operates in.

Also, while the land scape seems devoid of hills or foliage, there is a small rocky outcropping behind the tower.

The screams pause for a moment before continuing a moment later. If the loud movements of the construct was noted by the inhabitants of the tower, there is no outward sign of it.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 03:46:08 am by Rath »

NerdyCanuck

• Global Moderator
  • Board Head
  • GDH Admin/Rehab
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 03:29:46 pm »

oO(Reacts to movement...likely within a range of sorts...) Tiernan muses from behind the cover of his sand dune. For the moment, all but one of his daggers are returned to their hiding spots, oO(I can probably trick the movement part for a bit, but eventually I'm going to have to get close...well, we'll see what happens for the time being. For now...)

Smiling to himself, he begins re-visualizing the Pattern in his mind. As he envisioned himself walking it, he reached out to the system in an attempt to convince it that it was very likely that he would be no less notable than a speck of sand as blown by the wind across the dunes. By the time he finished, he could only hope that his attempt at probability manipulation had worked; without moving, there was no way for him to tell.

And so he breaks cover; slowly at first, his eyes never moving from the black spot he knew to be the glass construct. If it showed any sign of movement, he intended to throw himself to the ground and cease movement at once. Of course, throughout this he keeps his other senses attuned to his surroundings. Though he's wary of any natural dangers that might well try to surprise him while his attention is largely fixated on the construct, he's also interested in any wildlife (that may yet crop up) that he could use as distraction if his manipulation had failed.

oO(I do like having multiple plans, after all...)

Dathiel

• First Class Poster
  • ... Always Triumphs!
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 04:03:27 am »

As Tiernan pokes out from the dune and starts moving slowly, the construct does not move.

Looking around there seems to be no sign of animal life. Everything around the tower seems to be dead. Checking with his pattern sight Tiernan can see that energy is being drained out of the land itself. It’s very unlikely that animals will survive near the tower for very long.

Also to keep in mind are the various magical traps lying about, looking at them Tiernan can see that some will spout off some very destructive effects when something gets close to it.

NerdyCanuck

• Global Moderator
  • Board Head
  • GDH Admin/Rehab
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2013, 03:25:44 pm »

His ultimate goal being the tower itself, Tiernan moves excruciatingly slowly in its direction. More than once, he considers shedding some amount of clothing in order to increase mobility but discarded such thoughts almost immediately. Exposing too much of himself to the direct sunlight of Athas would prove to be hazardous even to him, moreso than even the slight chance of him overheating.

Those thoughts are pushed aside quickly enough each time they cross hid mind; he truly couldn't afford such distractions, not with everything he had to keep track of. Between the dangers posed by the various magical traps he knew to be lying about as well as the glass construct, Tiernan had his hands full with regards to attention. Slowly and steadily he crept through the sands, his destination firmly in both sight and mind.

Dathiel

• First Class Poster
  • ... Always Triumphs!
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2013, 08:42:39 pm »

Although it will take a few minutes, Tiernan manages to work his way towards the Tower without upsetting the construct.

However, halfway to the crumbled doorway of the tower, the screams stop. A few heartbeats later Tiernan can hear someone moving inside, heading towards the tower entrance.

Cover is almost non-existent; he is too far from the sand dunes, but there are some pieces of debris that may be tall enough for him to crouch behind. Also he could make it to the door quickly, and surprise whoever is coming. The Construct will probably notice the movement.

NerdyCanuck

• Global Moderator
  • Board Head
  • GDH Admin/Rehab
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2013, 03:53:26 pm »

Despite his considerable strength, Tiernan was well aware that his talents were more focused towards the art of stealth. That was what years of training had focused on, way back. As such, the moment he realizes what is about to happen he ducks behind one of the taller pieces of debris. At the same time, he reaches into one of his many pockets and pulls out a paralytic poison.

oO(Given the nature of this place, it'd be just my luck that whoever's coming has a mask of sorts on...but if not, I should be able to immobilize or distract them  with this...)

The sachet of poison is clipped onto the sole throwing knife he'd kept at hand and held at the ready. The dagger would give it enough momentum to cross the distance to the entrance and give the needed impact for bursting and dispersal. All in all, he thought it was a clever enough plan and one that he hoped would result in minimal difficulty in gaining access. As soon as the individual exiting the tower comes into view, Tiernan intends to send the poison+knife combination flying his or her way. oO(And if that doesn't work out, there's always Plan B.)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 03:55:01 pm by Faye »

Dathiel

• First Class Poster
  • ... Always Triumphs!
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2013, 04:30:25 am »

The construct also reacts to the movement, and while the misshapen Mul (half-dwarf) that shambles out is not wearing a mask, the brutish creature is wearing leather armor.

“Tha master wants…” The Mul’s words are cut short as an expertly thrown knife with a satchel of poison attached - smacks him on the shoulder, the puffy cloud of poison immediately bursts into the air around the Mul’s head, and a heartbeat later the Mul crashes face first into the sand with a minimal amount of noise.

The construct shambles over to the Mul, and then waits. It seems the construct has a way of recognizing the Mul as a friend, and can track the Mul’s location even without movement.

The Mul only makes a grunt, now fully realizing what’s happened. Plus he has a face full of sand and can’t look around.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 11:29:20 pm by Rath »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4