Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: April 1, 2013  (Read 5837 times)

Wargolem

• Global Moderator
  • Junior Grade Poster
  • HUGE and made of METAL
April 1, 2013
« on: February 27, 2013, 06:38:44 pm »

http://gamingguardians.com/ - Note that the comic doesn't say 2013. That means I'm not getting my hopes up.

Still, if it happens, it'll be nice to read new stuff. Greg has really grown as a storyteller in the intervening years. So I'm not getting my hopes up, but I am going to tell them they can only hit snooze a few more times.

NerdyCanuck

• Global Moderator
  • Board Head
  • GDH Admin/Rehab
Re: April 1, 2013
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 08:11:47 pm »

If this does happen it will definitely be nice to read new stuff. Gaming Guardians was a favorite comic back when it was active and I would love to read some new adventures of theirs. And I really hope it does happen.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 10:14:38 pm by Faye »

Relapse

• Global Moderator
  • Junior Grade Poster
  • Official neenja
    • My char profiles thread
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 11:31:40 am »

That said, the talent here has done a splendid job in keeping the universe alive.

I still need to know where Brahma is though. Damnit already.
This signature contains 400 ninja.
Relapse is one of them. Cupboard is not, and neither is Stephen.

Rhiann

• Second Class Poster
  • I'm a fox. Want to know more? Just ask.
    • The World of Sau'du
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 05:01:05 pm »

I do believe Brahma is 'tauring a dungeon--i.e. "Dungeons & Denizens"

Hey--GG has a few more characters to 'cameo' now, too. Who wouldn't want an unpredictable (cowardly?) bionic fox or savage (yet controlled) werewolf to play off his own issues? (Wonder how Dav would handle coming face to face with Greg's inner monster?)

Rhiann: Priestess of the Web and a powerful Telepath/telekinetic.
Tracker: Bionic fox from an 'alternate' Earth.
Dav: A Worgen (Werewolf) Shaman from the World of Warcraft

Will there be others?

Ashla

• Second Class Poster
  • Rifts affiendo!
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 06:25:32 pm »

Hey--GG has a few more characters to 'cameo' now, too. Who wouldn't want an unpredictable (cowardly?) bionic fox or savage (yet controlled) werewolf to play off his own issues? (Wonder how Dav would handle coming face to face with Greg's inner monster?)
There's a bunch of people I would love to see get some Cameo love Rhiann, and aside from a certain orc who has been around for a long, long time I think one of faye or rath's characters would be great to see in the comic.

Maybe we should create a new permission thread for character placement?

Rhiann

• Second Class Poster
    • The World of Sau'du
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 07:36:20 pm »

There's a bunch of people I would love to see get some Cameo love Rhiann, and aside from a certain orc who has been around for a long, long time I think one of faye or rath's characters would be great to see in the comic.

Maybe we should create a new permission thread for character placement?

Sounds like a good idea. I wasn't trying to show conceit, only open the discussion. Greg's done cameos of many different players.

Will there be others?

Wargolem

• Global Moderator
  • Junior Grade Poster
  • HUGE and made of METAL
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 08:09:11 pm »

I think that cart is waaay in front of the horse at this juncture. I'll be happy when the comic appears, then who appears can become a concern.

NerdyCanuck

• Global Moderator
  • Board Head
  • GDH Admin/Rehab
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 08:23:37 pm »

Thank you for the kind words, Ashla!

I think Wargolem has the right idea, though. Before we set up any sort of permissions thread, we should definitely wait and see how the comic shapes up first. I don't want to be a naysayer here, but we've had a few false restarts to the comics before and I would rather we not get people's hopes up on cameos just yet.

Once the comic has a good number of new strips under its belt and we receive confirmation from Greg that cameos are a possibility, I'll make a permissions thread in the comic subforum.

Regarding what you said Rhiann: I can certainly understand how you feel there. It's fun to imagine the ways that our characters might interact with the canon ones, were cameos to come to pass.

Ashla

• Second Class Poster
  • Rifts affiendo!
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 09:07:58 pm »

The way that the cameo thread functioned last time to be clear, was that everyone functionally offered their characters up for an appearance within the comic with greg and the artist determining the exact role that they would fulfil. People who signed up for the thread did so with no guarantee that they would ever be seen in the comic, merely that they were saying "If you want me I am here."

And I'll agree with everyone else that the comic has had several stall outs in the last 4 years that have hurt both the narrative and the community; I have wondered at times if greg shouldn't simply try and do an ending in order to give the fans a sense of closure.

Still, I'd rather be optimistic then pessimistic with this since the last thing we need is for the writer and new artist to feel that they lack the support of the community.

LynMars

• Global Moderator
  • Junior Grade Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 06:21:26 am »

"Cautious optimism" is a good word for it, I think. This comic is well over a decade old. The community's seen a lot of false (re)starts. While many would like to see things resume, life happens and it doesn't always pan out.

The trouble with cameos last time was a sense of expectation and entitlement in some of the cameo'd players--or the idea that if players were around long enough and active enough they "deserved" a cameo too. It's not something that should be worried about any time soon--even if the comic starts up and trucks along daily for several months--and is actually an issue I wouldn't mind keeping shelved. Some of the cameos became far more than "cameos" and there's already a decent sized cast of original characters.

Honestly, I wouldn't be adverse to a hard reboot. It'd be cool to see everything from the beginning again, getting to relearn the characters and their stories and seeing where things go with a new creative partnership and more years writing experience. From the teaser though, we look to be picking up where we left off again, or at least near it. Which it would be nice to see that story continue :)

Achelea

• Junior Grade Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 04:39:01 pm »

I'm gonna be "Cautiously Optimistic."

I'll check in on the 2nd. :P
"I may not agree with what you say, but I sure as Heck will fight to the death for your right to say it."

http://tgg.stormdragon.org/index.php?topic=133.0

Rhiann

• Second Class Poster
    • The World of Sau'du
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 05:56:29 pm »

I agree with the "cautiously optimistic" and add that nobody--but NOBODY--should approach this with a sense of expectation or entitlement. What Greg does is what Greg will do. I'm sure we would all appreciate and enjoy being selected for a cameo, but the ultimate decision to do so or not is Greg's alone. Were I he and I felt some readers felt that entitlement, I'd refuse for all just to be fair to all. We might not like it, but then nobody gets felt 'left out' either.

Will there be others?

Ryan_Galen

• Neutral Guest
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2013, 04:54:56 am »

You can be "cautiously optimistic" as much as you want. There's at least some good that will come of this restart.
People still seem to favor the mIRC while I've been gone, and even a brief restart might breath some life back into the forums.

NerdyCanuck

• Global Moderator
  • Board Head
  • GDH Admin/Rehab
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 07:16:12 pm »

People favor IRC simply because it's easier and quicker to get games going here. The investment and patience that forum games require are far more given the length of time that some games can span. That is not something I see changing anytime soon, even if we happen to get an influx of members.

[ Mod Hat ] That said, I'm going to kindly ask that the conversation steer away from cameos moving forward. I want to thank everyone for being respectful about the matter, but I think it has run its course. I will personally revisit the subject when I deem it appropriate and have had a chance to speak with Greg about it. Until then, let's focus our energies on looking forward to what may come. And while we're doing that, how about reminiscing about favorite past storylines or characters? [ /Mod Hat ]

I've long since said that my favorite scene from the old comics was the brawl between Second Edition and Radu-Radu. That was what lured me over to the comic in the first place. I love those characters and their fight was just epic and fun.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 05:37:10 pm by Faye »

Relapse

• Global Moderator
  • Junior Grade Poster
  • Official neenja
    • My char profiles thread
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2013, 10:54:58 am »

My favourite storyline remains the (ongoing) Ultima Redemption (funnily enough...). I thought it was handled quite maturely and the ongoing struggle and lack of comic-book style automagical acceptance makes for a more solid universe.

Speaking of Second Edition, I'm amused to imagine 3.5, 4, Pathfinder and D&DNext's comic analogues.
This signature contains 400 ninja.
Relapse is one of them. Cupboard is not, and neither is Stephen.
Pages: [1] 2 3