Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Teamwork 101 (open RP)  (Read 7256 times)

Dathiel

• First Class Poster
  • ... Always Triumphs!
Re: Teamwork 101 (open RP)
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2012, 05:14:35 pm »

Rhade’s eyes go wide as Gaddez mentions failure could mean leaving the guardians. His panic is diverted only when he listens to Tracker and then Faye.

Rhade’s disposition brightens considerably when Faye smiles and offers some training help.

“I would definitely like some training, with weapons, without, both would work better for me than simply not having any skill at all.” Maybe he should look at daggers as a weapon? It’s a thought he files away under ‘later’ in his mental filing cabinet.

Picking up a vest he’ll put it on, he is not a stranger to technology but the room is massive and Rhade can’t help but feel a little scared at the prospect of failing the battle ahead.

"I'm as ready as I'm going to be." Mentally speaking this was true, but maybe he wouldn't fail the course after getting some help with melee combat.

Ashla

• Second Class Poster
  • Rifts affiendo!
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2012, 05:30:00 am »

"Faye has the right of it Tracker. If you get hit by a Holographic arrow you will feel it mostly due to the sensor vest. When you make contact with one of the holographic critters, you will feel comparable density to whatever the object is thanks to the hologram's force field endostructure. It isn't perfect of course; critters feel more or less the same in terms of texture and we're still working on getting smells down right, but short of actual fieldwork this is as close to the real thing as we can get and maintain safety.

"And Rhade: No one will boot you. Even if we weren't seriously down in active membership the guardians work entirely on a volunteer basis. And if someone from up the food chain tried it I would fight it with everything I could bring to the table because I take care of those under my wing. My point of earlier commentary was that fieldwork may not be your cup of tea if you can't handle the stress of a combat scenario."

Gaddez waves to the room up on the overhead beams, and the trainees will see it begin sliding down the beams (or rather, the beams begin shifting their cross section) while lowering a chain link ladder.

"Your first test will begin as soon as I'm up the ladder. You have 15 minutes to complete the test and.... that's about all I'm gonna say. When I see how well you perform and respond to the scenario, I'll know how to plan and run future tests. So if you do amazing, we can skip a bunch of stuff. If you wipe then I know I gotta go through remedial stuff."

As gaddez climbs up the ladder, something of a transformation begins inside the playground; the walls seem to fade away and a city begins to appear around the guardians. A city which seems to have expierienced some sort of calamity since the buildings are damaged (and in some cases burning) and some sort of siren can be heard in the distance.

Not too far away, near an intersection the team will be able to see a trio of men sprawled out, unmoving near a newspaper box.

Rhiann

• Second Class Poster
  • I'm a fox. Want to know more? Just ask.
    • The World of Sau'du
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2012, 06:39:44 am »

Tracker nods at the explanation of the holographic/tactile effects of the system. As Gaddez climbs the ladder and the chamber begins resolving the cityscape, he dons the vest, making sure his cape hangs outside. He seems to take an unusual amount of time getting it settled, but once done it almost looks custom-fit for him and all the fur visible around the edges lies smooth and even. With an extra full-body shake to test its fit, he takes an alert combat stance not too different from the stereotypical "Kung-Fu Master". Strangely, his paws almost look as though his toe claws have extended and are gently flexing against the flooring.

(Quick question for GM: Does the flooring also try to emulate the texture and 'feel' of the holographic environment?)
Rhiann: Priestess of the Web and a powerful Telepath/telekinetic.
Tracker: Bionic fox from an 'alternate' Earth.
Dav: A Worgen (Werewolf) Shaman from the World of Warcraft

Will there be others?

Ashla

• Second Class Poster
  • Rifts affiendo!
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2012, 07:15:34 am »

((The floor under your feet has taken on a different texture; feels like asphalt or concrete depending on whether the characters are standing on street or side walk. I'll let you guys decide which side of the curb you want to be on :P)

NerdyCanuck

• Global Moderator
  • Board Head
  • GDH Admin/Rehab
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2012, 05:12:53 am »

There isn't much time for Faye to comment before the scene around her shifts to ruined city. Having experienced the training rooms before, the change wasn't an unfamiliar sensation to her. However,  the distraction she had been suffering these past few moments is enough to ensure she doesn't notice the sprawled figures right away. When she does see them, a brief surge of panic flares through her.

oO(...how long have they been there for? In the time it took me to notice them I...) Gritting her teeth, she pushes that thought side, oO(Gods, get it together Faye. You won't get through this basic round of training if you keep letting yourself get distracted like this. For now, the training is all that matters.) Internal pep talk done and over with, Faye tries to focus her thoughts on the task at hand.

Bodies nearby, which said to her that there was probably a nearby threat. Exactly what that threat was remained to be seen. "...whatever took them out is more than likely what we need to defend against...or attack, maybe. Might help to inspect the bodies." She takes in the scene around her, looking for signs of an ambush or evidence of someone having fled the scene. "...can you two cover me?"

Rhiann

• Second Class Poster
    • The World of Sau'du
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2012, 06:28:28 am »

Tracker notes the bodies just about the same time as Faye and draws his sword--displaying a gleaming blade of almost pure titanium. He stalks forward, letting Faye lead but using nose and ears to try and sense any nearby beings having already catalogued the scents of his companions.

"Go ahead, but be careful, Faye. Rhade, can you cover our backs? I may be able to handle the fighting for us, but I don't have eyes in the back of my head."

Will there be others?

Dathiel

• First Class Poster
  • ... Always Triumphs!
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2012, 05:25:16 pm »

He felt greatly relieved at Gaddez’s clarification... and apparent ability to read the nymph’s face precisely – not that he had tried to hide his fear at booted from the guardians. He smiles a bit more easily now.

When Gaddez leaves and they are left with the city ahead of them. When Faye and Tracker finally notice the bodies Rhade just turns pale – not saying anything. When Tracker asks for him to guard the rear he’ll nod, thankful he has something to do other than examine corpses.

He calls for his Unreal tome, and Microphone, both appearing out of thin air instantly, he leaves the microphone floating while grabbing the book and focusing his attention towards potential enemies behind them. While his combat skills may be somewhat lacking, his scouting skills were not.

Long used to ‘looking out’ for others he was good enough in the department, part of him realized this was foolhardy confidence.

Opening the book he flips through the pages until he finds what he was looking for. He keeps it handy, no use wasting the energy on a manipulation they may not even need.  All the same he looks for fire hydrants, and open puddles of water – any water really – the more water on hand that he doesn’t have to create, the less useless he would be.

((OOC: So sorry for the late post!))
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 05:27:33 pm by Rath »

Ashla

• Second Class Poster
  • Rifts affiendo!
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2012, 09:40:10 pm »

Control Room
Gaddez entered the cramped control room and nodded to the two techs who had been assigned to help operate the playground.

"Everythings ready to roll Gaddez. Team's vitals show that some of them are nervous but they're in control. We're ready to get this ball rolling whenever you're ready."

Gaddez nodded to the first tech before leaning over the shoulder of the second one, and scanned some of the notes on the environment.

"Get some water flowing in some of those buildings Mike. The terrain is urban combat and the civilians here would have access to modern plumbing."

Mike turned and looked up at Gaddez, annoyance plain on his face. "Why didn't you tell me that you wanted water flying all over the place when you gave me the specs in the first place?"

"Didn't know that 2/3rds of my first team would be this closely associated with it as an element. Make the change."

Grumbling for a bit mike hastily begins punching in some new code for the program.
Playground
Faye, as you approach the 4 bodies you notice that they're all dressed in similair suits of body armor that have a much more modern look then you would have found in you would have found in your home system. Scattered around them are a handful of firearms including 2 assault rifles  a satchel full of some sort of grenade and what would appear to be a 3 pistols of some sort. On their sleeves, all of them have a pair of patches:
and

The bodies of the men all seem to have suffered multiple gun shot wounds and appear to be very dead.

Control Room
"Faye and Tracker are at the bodies."

"Cue the critters."

Playground
Overhead, a small jet aircraft goes hurtling overhead, and as the dull roar of it's passing recedes you can hear what sounds like something huge walking from a side street down the street from the intersection you are currently occupying.

Rhade, it's the dammedest thing. One second theres no water to speak of beyond some trace humidity and bodily persperation, and then suddenly you can feel it coming from cracked pipes in some of the buildings nearby and the fire hydrants lining the streets. Barring some biblical scale uses of water, you should have all the dyhyrogen oxide you could want.

Rhiann

• Second Class Poster
    • The World of Sau'du
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2012, 02:23:59 am »

Tracker's ears dip at the roar of the jet as it flies over, but he lifts his nose long enough to hopefully get a glimpse of the aircraft and try to determine its type (other than 'fighter'. Any external weapons mounts would imply air-to-surface mission.) From there, he keeps one ear tuned to the jet to see if it's circling around while quickly keying on the sound of too-heavy footsteps that encourage a quick around-the-corner glance at the source. With a quick glance at Faye and Rhade and beyond to check for other potential hostiles, if he sees nothing imminent, he dashes to the nearby corner and slams himself against the wall, edging his blade at such an angle to use it as a mirror to scan the street.

The move looks like a well-practiced one that also shows off the speed of his bionics and the agility of his canid legs even when upright. His tail lashes with sharp jerks while the rest of his body appears rock-steady in what should be a rather unbalanced pose.

Will there be others?

Ashla

• Second Class Poster
  • Rifts affiendo!
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2012, 04:51:14 am »

((The fighter aircraft looked a bit like this:
))

Dathiel

• First Class Poster
  • ... Always Triumphs!
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2012, 05:06:59 pm »

No stranger to unreal occurrences the sudden presence of water does a lot to ease Rhade’s mind.

The fighter aircraft was a sight to see, but when Rhade sees Tracker focusing on it, he leaves tracking the vehicle to the bionic fox.

He continues his vigilant scan of the terrain, while part of him keeps close to the nearest available water source he can find. Normally he would just open it up and start drenching the area, but since he wasn’t alone he was assuming his allies wanted to look for clues, and water could wipe all of that away.

He releases the book and lets it float in mid-air open to the page he wanted, freeing up his hands.

NerdyCanuck

• Global Moderator
  • Board Head
  • GDH Admin/Rehab
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2012, 06:39:59 am »

The satchel of grenades are in her hands the moment that the aircraft flies overhead. The patches are noted and filed away, though neither are of particular concern for the moment.

To that end, she follows Tracker's lead. Light are her footsteps as she springs behind him, her back pressed to the wall. While Tracker kept an eye on the street with his blade, Faye activates her comm:

<< PC Team: Not sure if everyone saw the crests on the bodies' uniforms, but they're worth noting. One is a crouched rat holding a sword while the other is a black serpent on red background. Mean anything to anyone? >>

That said and done with, she turns her attention first to Rhade, and then back to the source of the incoming noise. Certain that her water-friendly companion had some sort of way to defend himself where he was, she felt safe to focus more on the threats.

Instinctively, she preps herself to summon a shield with which to protect her and Tracker, all the while she keeps her eyes peeled for whatever was coming from that side street.

OOC: I apologize profusely for the delays in posting this week. As stated in the OOC thread, it's been incredibly busy for me and isn't likely to abate before the new year. I can promise a post a week, but more than that may be difficult.

Also, I finally added some information for Faye's powers to her character sheet under the "Sabre" posting here. I'll try to tidy it up and remove her old powers; for now, ignore the "racial abilities" in the first post.

Ashla

• Second Class Poster
  • Rifts affiendo!
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2012, 06:36:57 pm »

Control room
"They're checking out the bodies."

"Good. Contrary to popular phrase dead men can be just as chatty as live ones if you know what to look for. How are there vitals Gary?"

"Stabilizing. You adding water to the environment probably did a lot to calm down Rhade since he seems less nervous."

"Give the radio a squawk on on of the bodies Mike."

Playground
Tracker:
The stomping sound continues for a few seconds, and then you see something that would probably take you (a resident of a superhero system) by the least amount of surprise: A 9 meter tall robot that is turning down the street and coming towards you and your companions.

Said robot Looks like this (also it has an emblem on it's chest):

At present, the robot probably hasn't seen you or Faye yet, due to the fact that you are just a little ways around the corner of the intersection, but it's long strides will bring it there very quickly.

The Jet, for its part makes a looping motion a ways out and begins doubling back but if your hearing is correct, it won't be passing directly overhead again. Rather, it will pass somewhere behind you.

Faye:
You pick up the grenades and notice that there is a set of bilingual labels on the satchel; the first set would look something like this:

Though the second set is mercifully in english and says something about them being smoke grenades.

Suddenly, faye will hear a static noise come from the helmet of the nearest body. Tracker might recognize the sound as being from a radio.

Rhade:
You will have quite the eyeful as the robot begins walking down the street towards you. You can't be sure if it's noticed you yet seeing as it hasn't changed it's speed or what not, but if you stay where you are it will probably come up on you in short order. Assuming it doesn't see your companions first...

Rhiann

• Second Class Poster
    • The World of Sau'du
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2012, 10:21:14 pm »

Tracker doesn't take the time to study the mecha-strider (You would be putting Marik against Kurita here, wouldn't you? Or is it the Suns?). Instead, he quickly glances down the street, checking the opposite side for any open doors. Since he's standing at a corner, he also checks the cross street along the side towards the oncoming mech. Estimating its pace at about 30mph, he figures the group has about 10 seconds before the flat have to move and he wants a destination in mind before he hits sprint mode. However, he can do one thing right away:

"Rhade, Faye, get ready to MOVE!"

Will there be others?

Dathiel

• First Class Poster
  • ... Always Triumphs!
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2012, 06:57:54 pm »

Get ready to move? No the time for getting ready was past... Now it was time to move.

Though the walking mech does make Rhade a little on edge, he can’t help but thank every ancestor he has -that it’s moving slowly (much slower than he was used to Mechs walking) and hadn’t seemed to notice any of them yet.
Thinking quickly he’ll run full speed towards the closest building. The mech didn’t look friendly, but no one said it was the threat they were supposed to take down either... So option three comes to mind; Distract and conquer.

Faye and Tracker may not believe their eyes, but directly behind the giant mech, a rock band appears.  Leather clad with punked out hair and piercings everywhere, they take a moment to ready their instruments. After a heartbeat they start playing... and loudly, though there are no vocals accompanying the band.  (The song that is playing .)

It is Rhade’s sincerest hope that the mech turns around to look at what the racket is behind it. If and when it does, it will buy time for the three of them to come up with a plan... correction... for those two to come up with a plan that does not involve them getting caught and trounced on out in the open. Rhade was going to hide if at all possible.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5