Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14

Author Topic: Les Enfants Terribles de l'Empereur [Finished 2011/06/16 ]  (Read 23734 times)

NerdyCanuck

• Global Moderator
  • Board Head
  • GDH Admin/Rehab
Les Enfants Terribles de l'Empereur [Finished 2011/06/16 ]
« on: January 17, 2011, 04:26:54 am »

Dechaine, Province of Doré, Montaigne
It was the end of another unsuccessful day of fishing for Evaline Pêcheur. Another in a long line of such days. There were no fish, at least not for her. Without fish she had no profit, and without profit she had no means by which to support herself. If this kept up, she would soon be forced to close down her business. With that to look forward to, what did she have left? oO(Nothing.) She thought, bitterly. oO(Nothing but my name and even that's worth nothing these days. Not since...) With a sigh and a shake of her head, she puts those thoughts aside and looks out past the bow of her ship. There lay the horizon and with it her final net of the day. Perhaps she might get lucky with this one, perhaps she'll find herself and her crew a meal if nothing else. oO('And perhaps Theus himself will rise from the sea and carry me away. Ha!')

With a determined look in her face, she barks some orders to her few loyal crewmembers. They run to obey her and soon she hears the satisfying sound of rope being run through pulleys. They creak and groan under the weight of the heavy, wet nets and Evaline, expecting them to be as empty as her belly, is surprised when she sees the pulley's support beam buckle and strain. It only did that when the nets had captured something. oO('That's encouraging...maybe...') She snorts and chides herself for her hopefulness; she couldn't allow herself that luxury. She was probably setting herself up for disappointment; for all she knew it was simply rocks again. Still, try as she might, she couldn't entirely swallow her hope, nor the excitement that threatened to follow it. This had to be more than rocks. Surely she had to hit a stoke of luck at some point and find something, anything, to make up for this profitless week.

Seconds begin to feel like minutes and minutes like hours as her crewmembers raise the nets. Eventually, after what felt like an eternity, something breaks the surface of the water: a large, squarish form in the midst of her hand-woven netting. It looked vaguely like a box, though like none she'd ever seen. Through various holes she could make out strange, unfamiliar markings. Could she have uncovered something left over by the Syrneth? "Get that on board!" She calls out. The order was largely unnecessary as her crew was already doing exactly that, but she felt she had to say something, though she couldn't say why. Perhaps it was the excitement or the growing sense that this might be the single greatest discovery of her life. It didn't matter. Nothing mattered just then except opening up that box.

The net and its precious catch are soon deposited on the deck. With eager hands, Evaline brushes the sopping wet net aside. She'd been right; the box, a perfectly square thing made of a metal she'd never seen before, was covered in unusual markings. It was language, to be sure, but she couldn't make it out. Even during that time, she'd never had the greatest grasp on anything but her own. That didn't matter to her, though. Not then and certainly not now. "Jean-Sébastien! Aidez-mois!" She barks as she looks for some means to get into the strange metallic container. As the named man moves to join her, she spots some latches and pulls on them. Surprisingly, they weren't rusted in the slightest and gave easily at her touch. With a hiss, the seal on the contents breaks. Evaline slides the opened lid fully open and gasps sharply.

Gaming Guardians Outpost, Primary City, California
Days later in Primary City, an anomaly is detected in a recently formed 7th Sea system. It's quickly determined that Guardians are needed to investigate and remove the cause of the anomaly. As the resident expert with regards to 7th Sea was otherwise occupied, direction of this mission is given to GSS Val Cesoerdo. Much to his chagrin, of course. Despite his reservations towards commanding this, the half-elven staff sergeant announces an outpost wide call for available guardians. Five answer his call and, satisfied with that number, he directs each of them to meet him in Briefing Room 2.

It is in that briefing room where Val soon finds himself sitting at the head of an oval conference table. Wearing his usual frown, he looks down at the notes he'd printed off and sighs heavily. oO(I do not like this, not one bit. Just as I am learning how to cope with my time there, this damnable system rears its ugly head again. Of course there is an anomaly in a Seventh Sea system...there always is.) He puts the papers down and rubs at the bridge of his nose, oO(I doubt Maren is involved in this - that woman is too damned clever - but I wonder if I should have Elwood investigate her for good measure. This may simply be me being paranoid, but one never knows...)

OOC/GM Notes
Welcome to the latest 7th Sea game, Les Enfants Terribles de l'Empereur. It's been a long time since the last adventure wrapped up and saw us part ways with GDH Shutter, Drathari's predecessor in Operations. A lot has happened and I haven't ran any serious forum games since then. In any case, thank you all for showing interest. I really hope that I can live up to the standards set by previous games in this series. Whatever the case, this series has a long history of awesomeness brought on by its players. I'm looking forward to playing with you all. For the sake of keeping this game going at a reasonable pace, please post within four days of a GM post. If you cannot do so, please let me know via PM. I may choose to give you more time, or I may move the game forward. Either way, let's keep things going and happy posting! (Edit: Typos...)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 04:23:31 am by Faye »

carp

• First Class Poster
Re: Les Enfants Terribles de l'Empereur [ Closed RP - Updated 2011/01/16 ]
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 04:41:35 am »

Vic was so excited.  He hadn't finished filling out his paperwork to become a recruit (and he had been waffling on whether he really wanted to anyway) but he was being given the opportunity to try some missions on a probationary basis.  He hadn't had a chance to find out what a 7th Sea system was, but he liked the sound of it.  So he makes his way to the briefing room, all smiles as usual, and barely containing his giddiness. 

He waves when he sees Val, his long, leonine tail wagging like a dog's tail.  "Hiii, Val.  How nice to see you as my commanding officer."  He takes a seat near the front of the room, crossing one knee over the other.  He's being good, for once, and not trying to get his hands on the half-elf.  Instead he preens himself, putting every strand of his hair into place, as he waits.  He wouldn't admit it, but he was nervous.  He wasn't sure what came next, or what exactly was expected from him in a situation like this.
carp uses they/them pronouns please and thank you

Scrae | Jack | Gabriel | Vic | Amalie

Nekane

• Second Class Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 10:41:35 pm »

Another day, and finally something Ktaos can do. The Disciple's work against the D'Twenty had stalled somewhat, leaving the spellsword in a dreadful period of inactivity. Inactivity to be broken by this assignment.

Ktaos still wasn't used to the cold of winter, even moderated by California's proximity to the Pacific Ocean, so the Disciple's bundled with a black wool coat, white scarf, and thin gloves. Ktaos offers Vic and Val both a half-hearted wave of the hand and a weary smile before taking a seat. "Hey."
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 08:45:22 pm by Nekane »

Tellana

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Recruit
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 01:55:19 am »

Tellana Silveroak, chief medical officer for the Guardians, considered the summons and what it implied carefully. While she had not yet partaken directly in any of the incursions into the 7th Sea systems, only dealt with some of the fallout, she was well aware of the danger it presented. She was now determined to make sure no major debacle occured on this trip.

Tellana arrives in the briefing room, bowing briefly and graceful to Val before taking a seat. She offers the two recruits a polite nod each before sitting down. The elf has her long black hair fastened in a long ponytail, and is dressed in one of her casual medic outfits. She is convinced that suitable clothing will be required at a later point, of course. Idly, the wood elf wonders how she will be considered in the 7th Sea system, as the "elves" of that setting are something far far removed from her own kind. She leans back in her chair with a faint smile, and decides to simply wait and listen for now.

Balance

• Guardian Archivist
  • Junior Grade Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 06:35:57 am »

Quar sets down his well used notepad and pen after hearing the call. He quickly makes sure that they ink is dry enough so as to not smudge his drawings before he closes the notepad, puts it away and heads off.

Quar arrives shortly after Tellana appear in his usual outfit of white, as well as wearing his ever present charms. He quickly takes a seat, nodding to those in attendance.  Quar also made a mental note to do a quick search on 7th Sea if he needed more information on this system before leaving.

Dathiel

• First Class Poster
  • ... Always Triumphs!
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 06:57:02 pm »

Rath was still very new to everything, it had only been a few weeks since his life had turned upside down and he had been ‘rescued’ from the Fate/Stay system.  In almost four hundred years he has been alive he has never learned so much in such a short amount of time.

Turning the corner he spots the door to the briefing room. .oO(One Foot in front of the other, it’s not like they are going to roast you alive for making mistakes...) Taking a deep breath he steps into the room only to see he was the last to arrive. Perfect.

Hurrying to his seat, he nods at everyone and waits patiently.

NerdyCanuck

• Global Moderator
  • Board Head
  • GDH Admin/Rehab
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 03:41:19 am »

GM Post - Briefing Room 2

Val lowers his hand and turns his attention to the door as people start filtering into the briefing room. He peers at them each in turn, seemingly indifferent and only marginally betraying his annoyance with Vic's eagerness. Given that the doberlion wasn't getting handsy with him, the half-elf was rather satisfied. To both Vic and Ktaos, Val nods and offers them a curt, "Good Afternoon." in response to their greetings. He might have said more, but then Quar, Tellana, and Rath each arrive in turn. With everyone assembled, it was time to begin the briefing.

"I am pleased that you all responded to my call as quickly as you did." His tone is even and controlled, though those familiar with the half-elf may detect a slight edge to it. "As I stated in the summons, this is a mission to a newly formed Seventh Sea system." As he talks, Val grabs a stack of briefing materials that he'd had in front of him and passes a folder to everyone present. Each contains information detailing various aspects of the gaming system, including its origins, history, and evolution. "Now, to get the obvious question out of the way: It is not believed at present that Maren Colson, a former Seventh Sea Game Master, is involved with this particular system." There's a slight trace of disbelief in his voice. "Having said that, Tellana, I believe you are familiar with Maren's old system. Please keep your eyes open for any...similarities."

He pauses to allow his team members to absorb his words. When he continues, he looks appraisingly from one Guardian to the next. "Seventh Sea is a gaming system whose setting is heavily influenced by seventeenth-century Europe. Each country has an equivalent in Europe, though none are exact copies. For example, unlike Primarian Europe, Théah has magic and its religion centers around the god Theus." He frowns slightly, "As far as this particular system, it is host to an ongoing campaign set in the Midnight Archipelago, which is likely inspired by the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie coming out later this year. Far from the events of the campaign, in the country of Montaigne, is where Guardian sensors detected a disturbance."

"That is is where you all come in." Again, Val pauses, this time to allow digestion of words and to give an opportunity for questions.

OOC
For quick reference, here's the information that Val would have copied for the briefing notes:Also, I will be using bolded headings to indicate the locations that my GM posts take place in. It's not necessary for you to do the same unless the party splits up for any reason. I will also use bolded names to draw attention to information specific to a given character.

carp

• First Class Poster
Re: Les Enfants Terribles de l'Empereur [ Closed RP - Updated 2011/01/19 ]
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 04:15:06 am »

As people file in, Vic looks each of them over, being especially careful in his examination of the men.  Ktaos gets an even more thorough examination than everyone else, only interrupted by the entrance of Rath.  Vic waves to Rath cheerfully, but he doesn't have time to say anything before Val begins speaking.  And when Val is speaking, he gets Vic's full attention.

"Oooh, swashbuckling!"  Vic grins even more widely and his tail wags with more feeling.  "Are we going to be pirates?  I think I'd like that.  As long as we're the fun, cheerful kind, and not the bloody, dirty kind.  Oh, I think I know some sea shanties."  Vic suddenly thinks of something and his ears droop.  "Wait.  Are we going to have to go on... on a boat?"

Dathiel

• First Class Poster
  • ... Always Triumphs!
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 09:14:10 pm »

Rath looks at the scary half elf in charge of briefing them and looks over the material diligently once he gets his hands on a copy.

“It’s called ‘7th sea’ Vic, I imagine we will be on a boat at some point.” He says to the furry creature. He was still getting used to them – animals that walked and talked like every other humanoid. He likened them to more creative versions of the gnolls.

“Do we know what caused the disturbance? Also who is Maren?” Rath looks through the material again to make sure he did not miss a reference to ‘Maren’ seeing that he did not he waits patiently for an answer.

Nekane

• Second Class Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 11:12:30 pm »

Ktaos just gives Vic an amused look as the lion-y person performs the examination. The Disciple was used enough to anthromorphs and their various eccentricities, given the home system, so Ktaos doesn't think much of Vic's antics.

"Yeah, fuzzles. Pirates and boats kind of go together, you know?" Ktaos smirks, glancing half to Rath. The Disciple honestly wanted to know the answers to the same questions, and Rath saved the trouble of asking. Ktaos settles in theseat, folding arms and giving the briefing officer proper respectful attention. Inwardly, though the Disciple wouldn't admit it, wasn't a huge fan of the sea either. Coming from a desert culture gave Ktaos minimal prior contact with water and cold, and that fire affinity made water even more uncomfortable, although Siflige's proximity to a watery swamp did lead to some acclimation.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 08:47:33 pm by Nekane »

Tellana

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Recruit
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 03:03:12 pm »

Tellana nods to Val when he adresses her. "I do have some familiarity with the previous goings-on surrounding the systems based on the ruleset, yes."

She turns to Rath at his query. "Maren Colson is a primary-born Games Master who was heavily involved in a 7th Sea campaign which eventually led to her villain, a sidhe lord named Evarryn, becoming aware and causing no end of problems for both the Guardians and the systems in general. Although she was at one point an accomplice to her creation's villainy, the last I heard was that miss Colson was still quietly going through her rehabilitation."

The elf leans back in her seat, content with letting Val continue speaking for now.

Balance

• Guardian Archivist
  • Junior Grade Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2011, 06:59:56 pm »

"I have never understood the urge to sail across the open seas." Quar says quietly while shaking his head.

Quar sits quietly as most of the questions he was planning to ask were already asked. He was thinking this should be an interesting experience due to the fact that he's never done any sailing before, and his home system ship travel across the seas was unheard of, as most travel was done by portal in his home system.

NerdyCanuck

• Global Moderator
  • Board Head
  • GDH Admin/Rehab
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2011, 03:33:01 am »

GM Post - Briefing Room 2
Although Val is very annoyed at the excitement over swashbuckling and pirates - especially the pirates bit - he manages to keep his expression from turning too sour. With only the barest hints of irritation in his voice, he says to Vic, "It is not exactly advisable to be walking much of anywhere in this system as a pirate. They are regarded rather unkindly throughout Théah and for good reason. As far as boats are concerned, it is unlikely that you will be using one, though do not rule it out as a possibility."

He turns to look directly at Rath, "Command and Control initially detected the disturbance in the northernmost part of Montaigne, in a fishing city named Dechaine. It has since moved south and was last detected in the city of Crieux. As for what it is, we only know that it is some form of technology not native to Seventh Sea. Its signature is familiar to our sensors, which leads me to believe that it is something we have seen before. As for what the technology is, exactly, we cannot say as yet." He glances over at Vic, "Crieux is a port city that is, at present, somewhat vulnerable to the bad sort of pirates."

Feeling pleased with the way the briefing was going thus far, Val relaxes somewhat. The questions and and attentiveness from all five Guardians was a good sign to him and helped stave off the worst of his annoyance regarding the dreaded 'P' word. "As far as Maren Colson goes, I believe Tellana covered all that needed saying about the woman." He nods at the wood elf, "My thanks for that, Tellana. I debated bringing her up, but decided that it was best to say something rather than take a chance." Val would know; he'd learned the hard way - a direct result of his last 7th Sea encounter - what happened when you did that.

To Quar, Val comments, "It has never been a huge draw for me personally, but I can understand the urge. For some, it is simply a way to make a living. Others, it is to join the navy and protect their homes. Still more...freedom." He shrugs and then returns to discussing the mission, "You are to go into the system and retrieve the technology that has found its way there. It cannot be allowed to leave Crieux. Whatever it is, if it finds its way to the capital, it is believed that the system will begin to destabilize as a result of the imbalance of power that will result."

OOC: There is, of course, more information to share. I'm just looking to break up the dispensing of information across a few GM posts. Edit to correct a mistake: Dechaine is a city, not a town. :)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 01:23:01 am by llemaire »

Dathiel

• First Class Poster
  • ... Always Triumphs!
Re: Les Enfants Terribles de l'Empereur [ Closed RP - Updated 2011/01/22 ]
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2011, 03:51:29 am »

Rath does his very best not to shudder openly at the word ‘Destabilize’. What had happened in the Fate system had been his fault; he still firmly believes that even with guardians telling him otherwise.

“So we are—and I am assuming some things— looking for a fisherman or merchant from Dechaine in the city of Crieux looking to sell something valuable. Whoever found the ‘technology’ is looking to take advantage of it, which usually involves money. At least where I am from. It might help if we look at fisherman and other seafaring folk first when we get there right?” He looks around uncertainly. There was also the possibility that this person finds out how to use said technology and starts murdering people. He does not want to broach that possibility until there is some evidence supporting it.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 03:53:03 am by Rath »

carp

• First Class Poster
Re: Les Enfants Terribles de l'Empereur [ Closed RP - Updated 2011/01/22 ]
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2011, 07:23:54 pm »

"Aw, the nasty kind of pirates."  Vic looks disappointed, but his ears perk back up when he hears that boarding a ship won't be required, at least. 

"I like Rath's plan.  You're a very clever man, aren't you Rath?" He says sweetly, and then feigns embarrassment and adds, "I mean Eladrin.  A very clever Eladrin."

He looks thoughtful a moment and then says, "I wonder, if we think someone's looking to sell whatever we're looking for, maybe we could find it faster if we advertised that we were in the market to buy some unusual items."

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14