Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Current state of the forums.  (Read 2222 times)

Taross Blackburn

• Administrator
  • Thread Staff Sergeant
Current state of the forums.
« on: October 19, 2010, 10:37:10 pm »

Hey people.
I know the forums may look a little iffy right now, but we're running on a release-candidate for the Simple Machines Forums right now and the themes have to be wrangled into behaving properly.

Please bear with it, since the diminished looks have the trade-off of a tighter forum security. We should be seeing the end of the 15+ spambots signing up per day.

Thank you.

pegla

• Painter of Stripes
  • Administrator
  • Neutral Guest
    • Lore Wiki
Re: Current state of the forums.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 04:09:14 pm »

Allright, going to tinker with the forum, expect some oddness about.

NerdyCanuck

• Global Moderator
  • Board Head
  • GDH Admin/Rehab
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 08:35:45 pm »

Looks like there are some theme issues that have arisen recently. These came about after work was done to strengthen the forum code to deal with the recent virus that hit us. If you run into any oddness with the theme, such as overlarge text entry boxes, don't be alarmed. They will be fixed soon enough. We ask for your patience as these bugs are worked out.

Taross Blackburn

• Administrator
  • Thread Staff Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 08:41:33 am »

What Faye said.

Currently the forum code behind the shell has been upgraded and fixed, but that means that the current theme used is incompatible for the time being. Pegla's been notified of this, but he'll have to find room to update the theme after work and such.

Any oddities and 'broken' things found are welcome.

Taross Blackburn

• Administrator
  • Thread Staff Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 12:28:39 pm »

A quickly needed update here.

It appears that some of the people who also host their site on "Stormdragon" are very intent on using a rather security-hole prone piece of gallery script called 'Zenphoto'.
The server admin keeps removing it, but users are apparently thick.

As a result, it may happen that once an attack manages to get into the administration parts of the server by injecting code through Zenphoto, it will try and put stuff in any of the other sites that appear to be using php scripting, like our forum.

Until we can beat the stupid out of these users, I would want to suggest to increasing some of your PCs virus-scan schedules, change forum password to something you ~definitely~ don't use anywhere else and just practice a little more caution.
Chances are, when your PC does flag the site as unsafe, it has been fixed by the time a message reaches myself or Pegla.

That is all.

NerdyCanuck

• Global Moderator
  • Board Head
  • GDH Admin/Rehab
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 05:06:05 pm »

It looks like notifications are not being sent out consistently right now. I have not been getting any all week, and there don't appear to be any in my spam folder. Whatever this insecure code is doing might be affecting the notification system, so if you are involved in RPs, you may have to check your threads manually for updates. I would advise people add the forum URL (http://tgg.stormdragon.org) to whatever feed reader you might use; updates aren't pushed to the readers with efficiency, but they do come.

NerdyCanuck

• Global Moderator
  • Board Head
  • GDH Admin/Rehab
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 04:07:39 pm »

I don't have much of an update, really. I just want to remind people that forum notifications are not working at the moment. That means you will not receive emails for subscribed threads or private messages. You will also not be advised of new messages when you log into the forums, so you will have to manually check the "My Messages" link to keep on top of incoming messages.

The PM Pager is recommended if you need to advise someone of a private message awaiting them. It's seen good use over the past couple of months.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 03:41:45 pm by Faye »

Janus

• RPG Collector Supreme
  • Administrator
  • First Class Poster
  • "I'll explain that later."
    • Gamer's End RP Wiki
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 08:09:04 am »

I will also add that while we try and figure out the best way to keep all of our information while fixing the message system, there is a way to get your forum updates without constant forum refreshes.

If you use an RSS Feed program like I do, you can subscribe to the forum and get updates from any public forum postings within a few hours of them being made.  Perfect?  No.  But it's something, and it's also a great way to keep up with all your webcomics in one place.  Oh, and I suppose you can subscribe to other blogs as well.

I use Google Reader, but there is more than just that one program out there.
Doctor Hugo Easton - Mad SCIENCE!
Webhunter - College Student Werewolf
Azure Reg - Shadowrun Thief & British Mutant

Learn about them all by finding my links right HERE

Taross Blackburn

• Administrator
  • Thread Staff Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 02:46:36 pm »

It's going to be a bit hectic, and I am trying to see if I can't poke another friend of mine once he has some time on his hands. Currently everyone normally working on these forums to keep them running has a bad case of RL going. Either through work or running for political office...

The forums may still be slightly borken for a while, but the data at least is safe.