Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: A Parliament of Crows (Intro/Twisted Scavenger Hunt)  (Read 22235 times)

General Caine

• Forum Recruit
A Parliament of Crows (Intro/Twisted Scavenger Hunt)
« on: August 23, 2009, 11:26:53 pm »

Chelmsford, England
26 September 2009. 5:39 PM

"And.. roll."

"YES!"

"Okay, your blade slashes vertically through the guy's head and torso. He splits in two and splashes you with about a quart and a half of blood and gore, alongside all his inner bits."

"The last guy's mine! I get close and stab him in the guts!"

"Easy, Tiger. Roll those bones."

"Ok, roll for damage."

"Okay.. yep you do just enough damage to kill him. The man wraps his hands around your Knife of Bleeding, which is now stuck up to it's hilt in his protruding belly. He looks at you all, and says: 'A curse on you, strangers! We opened our arms warmly, and you drove a traitorous dagger into our breasts!'"

"Bored now"

"Let me finish!"

------------------------------

The Outpost, Briefing Room 4
26th September, 2009. 6:00 PM

BriefingBot X-REA-1 tapped the screen with a long, wooden pointer.

"This is Greyhawk System #56A-3/4. A boring little place where the PCs take their workday frustrations out on monsters and non-coms alike. What makes it interesting to us is the PCs in this system have just finished massacring the population of an entire town, but for whatever reason the game has stopped before the PCs can loot the place. We're running low on certain essentials that are only found in D&D systems so this is a golden opportunity to stock up without interfering in a live setting.

You will jaunt into this system with a Bag of Holding each and this list of goods. You are to find and retrieve these goods wherever they can be located in the town. You are to interfere with the local environment as little as possible, and only where it interferes with the course of your duty. For example, if a cupboard is locked, find the key and use it, don't just break down the door and remember to lock the cupboard door after you are done. You are not permitted to take any other objects than the stated goods, and for you meatsa.. ah.. biologicals,  report to the Med-Bay before Jaunting for some shots. This system has some pretty nasty diseases, so the contents of those Bags will go straight into quarantine for disinfection. You may not go outside of town limits - we don't know how far the system extends, and I'm sure you don't want to find out the hard way!

Any questions?"

-----------------------------------------

Design and intent: "A Parliament of Crows" is intended as a twisted scavenger hunt. The premise is very simple. Get into town, get the goods and jaunt out. What could be easier, right? ;)

The chief inspiration for this RP is Silent Hill, especially Silent Hills 2 and 3, so I hope that gives you some idea of what you will be letting your characters in for. This is also the re-intro thread for General Caine, who some people may remember from the Nice forums.

Posting schedule: Updates will occur every Saturday, prompt. If everyone posts before then, I will update before then. And hopefully on a Saturday too. However, if you don't post on the Saturday without notice (and I will check the Leave of Absence thread regularly) then you character will be run on autopilot. Sorry, but I have to insist on this rule as nothing bogs a game down quicker than waiting weeks for key people to post.

The "list of goods" is currently under a little refinement. By the next time I post, it will be ready.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 02:09:58 am by General Caine »

Gebohq

• Junior Grade Poster
Re: A Parliament of Crows (Intro/Twisted Scavenger Hunt)
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 01:19:31 am »

((OOC:  Since I'm assuming this is open and whatnot, I'll be making a short, IC-ish post to throw my hat into the ring.  I mean, come on!  How can I not have fearless Geb in a Silent Hill-inspired RP?  He'll have his standard equipment unless otherwise over-ruled by the GM.  Welcome back, Caine!))

Having been present at the briefing, Gebohq mildly frowns at the mention of required medical shots.  He fingers a bottle in his economy-sized pocket as he heads off to get his shots...

Chance Devany

• Forum Recruit
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 02:02:10 am »

(( A Mage 1940's campaign style Private Eye in a Silent Hill deductive scavenger hunt?!  This is too good to be true!  I'm in! And additionally, nice to meet you General. ))

Rolling his Lucky Coin over his knuckles while listening to the Briefing Bot, one very prominent question comes to mind.  Aside from why it hasn't been reprogrammed to remove the word Meatsack from it's dictionary.

"I have a question,"  says Chance as he lifts a finger to get the rustbuc- er, robot's attention, "If whatever ended the game before the looting is a 'something,' and we run into said 'something,' are we allowed to act in self-defense if it is required or do we Jaunt out to avoid System Contamination?  And will we be provided a layout map of the settlement?"

With those concerns answered, Chance will be ready to get his shots, get his bag of holding, and a spare flashlight for the dark nooks and crannies he may have to explore during this mission.  Other than that, it'll be his normal equipment load out.

Nekane

• Second Class Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 02:46:16 am »

((I never had the chance to do anything run by Caine, so this is pretty exciting. I figure I'll use one of my characters who hasn't had a ton of screen time if that's alright.))

Harmonious Change, in its incarnation as The Maiden, sits in the briefing room. The smallish Chinese girl in the red dress is certainly unassuming, and perhaps an odd participant-- personnel logs for "Harmony Chan" indicate no special abilities, and suppose that the Guest may even be Primarian. Nonetheless, with Attrition backing her presence in the Outpost, there's no real reason to turn her away..

The Maiden tilts her head as she listens to Chance's question, then taps briskly at the slim datapad she always carries. The characters on the screen are all in Traditional Chinese and are thus likely incomprehensible to casual onlookers.

[ How exciting! I have not been to another System in a very long time, especially not inside. I hope I can help without being a disruption. I just wonder what 'shots' entail. I can't imagine it's from a gun or crossbow, but it sounds unpleasant, especially with how that man frowned. ]

"Harmony" has no questions of her own, and when all are answered she'll quietly head for the jaunt room, with no apparent gear but the bag of holding.

General Caine

• Forum Recruit
TomTom doesn't work here....
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 09:22:55 pm »

Briefing Room 4

"An easy question.", the BriefingBot replied. "You are of course permitted to defend yourselves. But only use methods that are acceptable in a D&D Greyhawk 3.5-4e System. Your conversion matricies should make the appropriate adjustments. As the populace of the entire town has been terminated, any damage you cause should be easily explained away as damage from the fight. Please try to avoid causing more damage than is necessary. Also, alert the Outpost if you come into contact with hostile elements both for advice and as we will need to Jaunt away any bodies or foreign objects that do not belong in a Greyhawk System."

"As to maps, check the Bags of Holding which should be waiting for you at the Med-Bay. There should be a map inside each."
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 09:26:17 pm by General Caine »

Nekane

• Second Class Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 02:38:49 am »

'Harmony'

The Celestial nods and quietly rises. As soon as she's out of line-of-sight of all present, she fractals apart into nothingness as Harmonious un-incarnates to return to incorporeality. Shortly afterwards, she re-incarnates just out of line-of-sight of anyone in medbay, and will enter to await the 'shot' and retrieve the necessary bag of holding. When she receives the bag, she'll study the map within.

Any security feeds observing both incarnation actions will display static briefly, obscuring the bizarre effect.

General Caine

• Forum Recruit
At Med-Bay....
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 10:56:24 pm »

The Bags of Holding are waiting for you on a stand. They look like cloth sacks, as big as a tote bag with a drawstring neck. Each one has a nametag sewn onto it, with name and rank. Each bag is also coincidently in a shade of colour which your character finds pleasing.

Inside yours, you find a map:

((OOC: Map designed by Gandwarf, and originally posted here alongside a lot of other maps!))

And a list. It reads as follows:

-------------

250 grams Adamantine
250 grams Mythral
500 grams Alchemical Silver
500 grams Dragonhide
1kg Cold Iron
2kg Darkwood

(In all cases above as much as can be found up to stated limit, either in raw ore or in finished goods)

6 Everburning Torches
10 Thunderstones
10 Tanglefoot bags
15 Sunrods
15 Smokesticks
5 litres Holy Water

(Sunrods, Tanglefoot bags and Holy Water a priority)

1 Dwarven Urgrosh
1 Orc Double Axe

(These two are minimum priority)

Copper, Silver and Gold coins up to 50GP (Per person. Ensure they are not fake.)

Any amulets, scrolls or rings of Health/Cure Light Wounds/Cure Serious Wounds
Any potions of Remove Disease
Any potions of Remove Curse
3 rings/amulets of resistance (can be any damage type, not fussy)
1 weapon with one or more of the following attributes: Flaming, Frost, Holy

(Please note: NO UNIQUE ITEMS! Chance of System Contamination is too severe, so LEAVE THEM ALONE!)

-------------

The medics apply a strange looking device to the arm of each team member (Chance, the device reeks of Static Resonance). It doesn't hurt, and you watch as a large tube of goopy liquid is injected into your body. Once you're ready to Jaunt, head off to the Jaunt Room and off we go!

Chance Devany

• Forum Recruit
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 04:32:32 am »

(( @Nekane: Chance has the ability to sense Matter, Energy, Prime (building blocks of the universe), and the alteration of Probability.  Please let him know if he senses anything from Harmonious Change's appearance and disappearances, because it would affect the way he interacts with it. ))

Chance's Quarters:

Making a quick stop in his quarters after the dismissal from the briefing, Chance drops by his room.  Removing his long coat and suit coat, Chance then removes the shoulder holster and his 9mm pistol.  If he is only allowed to use methods found in the system, then guns are just dead weight.  Leaving behind his primary means of self-defense is a chilling thing for a man, especially for a former Doughboy and current Detective.  Perhaps that's why Chance hesitates on going out the door for a moment and goes to pick up a flask filled with Kentucky Bourbon before heading out.

.oO(Been a long time since I pulled the 'Fire Breather' trick, but in this case it's better than nothing.)

Med bay:
Chance is a little wary of receiving the shot at first, but since he's amongst the Guardians he allows it to happen.  No way he'd accept one of those if he were in a Hermetic sanctuary.  98% chance it would be some sage's cocktail of dragon fluids to see what it does to a human body.  Wacky people those Elders.

But Chance does inquire about the identity of the person who prepared the shots.  This kind of magical nature is not an every day occurrence.  A Panacea immunization chemical...That is some high level Life magic right there.  If Chance had an opportunity to study with this person, even if it was not a Mage for a similar system to his own...Especially if it was a looker that enjoyed dancing...But such things are for after the mission.

Receiving the bag of holding, map, and list, something immediately occurs to Chance, and he speaks up to the Guardian who gave him the bag.

"Say, are these amounts correct?  By my count 500 grams is just over a pound.  If I'm gathering only a pound of each of these first five items on the list then it'll only be enough to fit in my hand for each.  Even Dragonscales are suppose to be heavier than normal, right?  And are we finding these amounts in total, or is each person finding their own amount up to these weight limits?"

Once questions are answered, Chance will take an extra datapad with a camera lense and translation software to interpret the Faerunian signs and store and storage labels for him.  Then it's off to the Jaunt Pad with him.

(( Oh, and General, feel free to use Chance's Avatar, Niall, as you will for the mood.  Full details about her in the Character Description. ))
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 06:58:47 am by Chance Devany »

Nekane

• Second Class Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 09:14:01 am »

(( Chance: I'm not terribly familiar with Mage rules, however I'm willing to say that he might pick up Harmonious' disappearance and reappearance as being related to Prime somehow. ))

Harmony: In Medbay

Medical technology is not one of the Celestial's strong points, especially since most of its education has been related to the state of the world in general. Guardian medical technology, being cobbled together from dozens of different systems, is absolutely mystifying to a being whose last major world experience was in feudal Japan-- and even then its memory is pretty poor. It will be asking a lot of questions to the medical staff as to how random items work, and especially how the injection does what it does. Beyond that, there's little reaction other than a flinch when the strange device is put on its arm.

"Harmony" is very curious as to their objective and listens closely to the response Chance gets, if any. When that's answered, she gathers the tote and will actually walk all the way to the jaunt room. Her bag of holding is labeled with "Harmony Chan", no rank indicator, and is a deep red in colour. Also red is the thick, warm robe she seems to have acquired from somewhere. She wears the bag slung around a shoulder, and on her back is a five-foot-long greyish-gold sword-- its straught blade, grip, minimal hilt and pommel all appear to be one piece, and is covered in elaborate and ancient-looking etchings and curious glyphs. Besides these items, she doesn't appear to be carrying anything.

Gebohq

• Junior Grade Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 05:50:04 pm »

((OOC:  To Chance -- I don't know if any of Geb's story-wielding applies for you, but I will try to give you a heads up all the same on anything that might apply for you.))

Gebohq looks over the list and, while he doesn't appear as characteristically confused as might be expected of him, the expression is still clear enough to read at times.  Noting the shot he received (which did nothing to help the mix of emotions tossing about within him), he says "Better safe than sorry" to himself and heads out for his own adjustments to equipment....

From the appropriate Guardian resources, he attempts to acquire a Star Trek-type tricorder, so that he may be able to correctly identify the items he needs to collect on this mission.  He also requests the type of flashlight that is worn on one's head, should light be needed.

When all that is done, Gebohq makes his way to the jaunt pad.

((OOC:  To Caine -- please let me know if Geb's RPE-drinking will be an issue for this game so that I may roleplay accordingly as allowed by you.  See my profile under Equipment for details.  Also, as before, you of course have permission to use Geb's character beyond the normal use of play, should you wish to do so.))

General Caine

• Forum Recruit
An OOC note to all players
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 08:47:36 pm »

((I should have an update for you all by either tonight or tomorrow, however I would like to take a moment and assure all players that I will play your character's profile fully. I've played Mage (I have a stack of M:tE books right next to me, Chance, with Digital Web 2.0 open as I type this!), I've sort-of played NeS, and I've played to Geb's story-powers previously. As for Harmony in the Aspect of the Maiden, I've read all of Harmonius' Logs. Geb can vouch for me that I do massive amounts of research before a game and make it as authentic an experience as possible for the characters.))

Gebohq

• Junior Grade Poster
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 04:08:32 am »

((Yes, I can attest that Caine is full of awesome, to a fault!  I hope you don't burn yourself out from investing too much effort, Caine.))

General Caine

• Forum Recruit
....as if by magic.....
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 09:28:34 pm »

Chance, the name of the medic delivering the juice is written on the nametag on her uniform. It says....

Nial

Wait, what?

Looking again, the nametag on his uniform says:

Neil

Neil tells you that he doesn't know but he'll find out and send you an email.

That most cunning of Infernal Machineries known as the Convenient Plott De-Vice has nudged the BriefingBot past the Med-Bay, fulfilling it's other role as archivist and librarian, pushing a large trolley filled with various volumes of Greyhawk. It happens to hear what Chance has to say....

"*a-hem*, if you can find even 250 grams of these rare and extremely valuable woods and minerals all in once place, then the GM will have designed the town as a Monty Haul. You are far more likely to find small quanities as part of finished goods. In which case, take the goods. We can break them down for scrap later. In any case, with the exception of the cash, all items listed are for the team as a whole to locate. If you can find more, then contact the Outpost, to see if we want more."

Harmony

One of the medics is happy to explain how what you have been injected with works. Her nametag reads Nall.

"Well, it's pretty simple. The genefigured pangeic brataal is designed as a hyperintelligent blood cop paratsite. Esentially, it determines the state of your being when it was injected and continually monitors this for foreign bodies. When any foreign body enters your system, it immediatly surrounds the substance, coats it in a harmless polycarbon which can then be later excreted from your body."

Nale(?) unfortunately doesn't know how random items work. Perhaps Harmony could ask Geb?

Chance and Geb, your requests for equipment are successful.

((OOC note: If there are no other questions, then the Jaunt will be concsidered to have been successful, and my next post will be on Saturday, when you will all be Jaunted to the Greyhawk System!. Other note. Yes, anyone who wants to may read the volumes on Greyhawk. However, they are thick and difficult to read. You will only have enough time to skim over them before the BriefingBot becomes huffy and takes them away.))
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 09:48:51 pm by General Caine »

Gebohq

• Junior Grade Poster
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2009, 04:26:45 am »

((OOC:  Red 5 standing by--er--I mean, ready to go, General. :) ))

Chance Devany

• Forum Recruit
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2009, 07:06:32 am »

(( Chance was actually built using a Mage: The Ascension book, but whatever.  I doubt the basic rules are any different. ))

After hearing the Briefing Bot giving his response to Chance's question about the materials, Chance realizes that just being able to find the names of things won't be enough.  But what about that thing Geb was talking about?  A Tricorner or something.  Taking a look at the object Gebohq is carrying, Chance ends up seeing an extra one or two sitting next to some of the books that the Briefing Bot brought along.

"Convenient Plott De-Vice" indeed.  Chance goes ahead and takes one along, in addition to the translating Datapad,  with the small manual, "Tricorder Use For Dummies" that was printed in house for Guardians not use to the high tech.  The manual is surprisingly short.

Chance was just a little off his game from the collection of so many like named people, his mind briefly wondering if it was a prank or a cosmic coincidence before quickly deciding that he would be better off not knowing.

Rolling over the explanation given to him about the vaccine as he heads towards the Jaunt Room, Chance is truly astounded.  Such a medication would not only be effective against bacteria and viruses, but against fungus, parasites, and even many types of poisons!  Chance decides to definitely try and get some learning time in with the maker, perhaps a minor apprenticeship.

.oO( Now that I'm no longer a Character I'm subject to linear time...and age.  It would be helpful to find a proper way to lengthen my lifespan before I start getting gray hairs.  Then I would have more time to work towards ascension, in addition to the other benefits of having the Life Sphere... )

Entering the Jaunt Room and stepping onto the pad, Chance is ready for deployment.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9