Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Author Topic: The GM Directory  (Read 5276 times)

carp

• First Class Poster
The GM Directory
« on: March 06, 2009, 06:00:51 pm »

On the Nice, we had the The GM Directory which was a place where players could look up RPs run by specific GMs and get an idea of how those GMs roll.

I would like to revive the directory here.  GMs can post links to their RPs and talk about their GMing style.  You can say as much or as little as you want in your post. 
carp uses they/them pronouns please and thank you

Scrae | Jack | Gabriel | Vic | Amalie

carp

• First Class Poster
Re: The GM Directory
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 06:44:32 pm »

Most of my RPing is done on IRC now.  I've been trying to run a mission once a week, to keep plots moving and to give folks something to do. 

First, links to my missions, in case you're involved in them and want to keep track:

Sukh Ra and Urban Arcana: Sukh Ra's Urban Arcana system is active and doing well, despite the fact that the GM is dead and the players no longer active.  And Sukh Ra has plans, that he may need the GG's help with.

Primary's very own Crawling Chaos

A sparkly new character

Frogs and Djinn and Horrors from Beyond, oh my! A completed short story arc
One Shot RPs
Notes on my GMing
        • I usually tend towards a small group of players.  I sometimes have open calls for my missions, but I often pick people who have been involved in the story line in the past.  I may turn someone down for a mission based on my interactions with them in the past, or based on the interactions they have with my other players.  Sometimes, I just do first come, first serve when I'm doing an open call for missions.
        • You can use whatever character you want in my missions.  If the character would normally not be appropriate for the mission, they will be CMed so they can fit in.  I don’t always want the most appropriate character for every mission, because it can sometimes be more fun if your character is going to have to have bigger challenges because they weren’t appropriate.
        • I will ask players to provide me with links to their profiles before the mission starts.  If you don't have a profile, you will need to come up with a short explanation of what your characters can do, and what they have, before the game starts.  I may not let you do something if your profile doesn’t say you can do it.  Feel free to check with me on specific things, though.
        • After the briefing (or after you’ve had a chance to read it) I will ask players to PM me with a list of any special items they’re brining, or anything else that might be new and not on their profile yet.
        • Usually I have a briefing for the mission written up ahead of time and have posted it to the forums.  Missions frequently start in the jaunt room. 
        • Assume your characters have access to things.  If you want certain supplies for the missions, or information, or anything, ask me if you can have it.  The GG has all kinds of things that can be requisitions, and they have tons of information about past missions, villains, etc.  If it’s reasonable for your character to have or know something, then I’ll allow it without any fuss.  Even once the mission is underway, I’m OK with letting characters have matchbooks, or flashlights, or a notebook that they didn’t specify they had earlier (common items that anybody might have been carrying).  Just ask.
        • It's OK to assume things about your surroundings.  If you're in a parking lot, I may not describe it in great detail.  If you want a Volkswagen Bug to throw at the bad guy, then ask me and I'll probably give you a Bug.  If you think there's a hubcap lying around, or that the parking lot is sorrounding by shrubbery that will offer cover, or there's a pothole, then I will probably allow those things to be there.
        • I use dice rolls to determine success (most of the time).  I create difficulty levels for different things that I keep secret, so the player does not know what they need to roll to succeed.  I modify your dice rolls based on your profile (for example, if your character’s profile indicates that the character has above average dexterity, I will give a bonus to their chance to dodge the fireball), but I do not tell you what those modifiers are.  I also modify your chances of success based on how interesting your action is.  If it’s particularly clever, or you describe it in a very cinematic way, then it will be more likely to succeed than if you just say “I shoot at the bad guy.”
        • No matter what your character is doing, and no matter how good they are, if I determine it requires a dice roll, then it is possible for your character to fail.
        • In order to make encounters a challenge for all, I will consider all players to be the same “level.”  So I may have an “uber” character and a normal human with no powers, but their chances of succeeding in an attack on the same monster will be about the same (with some modifiers as described above).  I do this so that no one will feel left out by the super-strong characters mowing through the bad guys while they stand off to the side and watch.  This will make “ubers” look less powerful.  If that bothers you as the player of an uber character, you may not want to join my missions with that character.
        • I am willing to discuss disagreements.  PM me if you don’t like what’s happening in the RP or if you think I am being unfair in not letting your character succeed.  Sometimes I will agree and modify things, sometimes I won’t.  If you can’t keep your complaints to PM, I will ask you to leave the RP and won’t invite you to join in the future.
        • I don’t like it when my players multitask during a mission.  If you’re in my mission, please plan not to be doing other missions or social RPs in other lounges.  This is a courtesy I extend to other GMs when they run missions, so I expect the same.
        • Be a little goofy sometimes.  RP is more fun if we can say something silly, or let our characters end up being the butt of a joke.  But don’t do it constantly.  Some folks take their RPing seriously and we should respect that.  Especially if the mission is serious.
        • Don’t ask me to make decisions for you or your character. Be specific about your actions and about what you want.  If you leave things up for me to decide, I will not always ensure that you get the best results.

Some additional rules
Sometimes stuff comes up that I want to make sure I'm clear on in the missions I run.

Mindshielding/protection/etc
There are a few characters out there who have protections set up to keep people from prying into their private thoughts, or messing with their heads.  As a GM, I need to be able to understand the exact function of these protections, as well as their limitations.  Players sometimes assume their protections will do things that I as a GM don’t think they should.  So, for the purpose of my RPs, the following is how I will handle these kinds of protections.  This is for my RPs only, and if you disagree with how I’m interpreting your protection, please talk to me before my villain is trying to fuck with your head.

Ring of Mindsheilding: Unless otherwise noted, I am going to assume this is the D&D item of the same name.  This ring protects the wearer from attempts to detect the wearer’s thoughts, discern if they're lying or detect their alignment.  In an essence, it keeps telepaths out of their heads.  However, it does not provide any protection against manipulation of their mind and people wearing these rings will not have any added defenses against magic of that kind (including charm spells and mind control).  It also does not prevent telepaths from projecting thoughts, or empaths from projecting or sensing emotions.

Other mind protection/privacy: If your ring or other protections prevent all mental intrusions or tampering with the mind, then that means all of them.  In addition to being immune to charms, mind control, and telepathic communication, the character will be unable to benefit from magic that’s meant to embolden, inspire, or otherwise change a character’s mindset in order to give them bonuses.  If a magic could be interpreted as affecting the character’s mind in order to benefit them, then it will have the same chance of failing as any magic meant to do harm.[/list][/list][/list]
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 04:44:37 am by carp »
carp uses they/them pronouns please and thank you

Scrae | Jack | Gabriel | Vic | Amalie

Lana

• Junior Grade Poster
  • Fear nothing, run from everything
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 08:03:23 pm »

I'm also pretty much exclusively IRC.

I tend to run things on request, and let the players set the pace, though I'll get impatient if people wait more than a couple weeks to make a move.

• I'm a jerk and enjoy it. If someone does something I deem "Incredibly stupid" there will be consequences.(Unless they run screaming from my RP, which is cool too)
  • People get Happy Fun Points for being awesome.
  • I try to keep rolls exclusively to contests with the environment(I count "The baddies" as part of the environment.)
  • If people are rolling low constantly, while I wont hand them a success for it, I try to reduce the price of messing up, or give them more limited victories.
  • People can avoid rolling entirely by being clever.
  • If its part of a greater RP arc, there -will- be hints scattered throughout it that can help players skip steps, if they notice them. If no one writes a report about a mission I run, I tend to write one myself and have an NPC recount about 80% of the details with the hints mixed in, and interpret them with about an 80% accuracy. So it pays to re-read and review information.
  • If people successfully complete a mission with hints and clues, I tend to give out a "Research Point" which can be used in full or in part or saved up for later. Typically, a research point will give you more information to work with IC on a single given subject. I'll turn the light around and present things that could be gleaned IC. This includes stuff like "What was with that Invisible panther?" to "Was Modesty around when this guy was getting started so she'll know more information?" Spend them wisely.
  • I give people briefings mostly so they have time to ask questions, and absorb the information I give them, and they give eachother, and try to limit them to a half hour tops.
  • If the briefing says attack from point X, and you find a way to attack from point Z, unless it violates the "Don't be stupid" rule, you will probably get Happy Fun Points for it, and be a lot more successful, if only because I wont have a plan to slow you down right away.
  • The bigger your bits, the more you take hits. I let people bring everything and the kitchen sink, if they want to and have clearance for it. If you bring a small armory, you're going to need a small armory, and you've got two hands. I'm being nice with this, instead of bringing more, bring a couple things useful to the mission(Like say, a SIN when visiting Shadowrun, so the cops don't bust you immediatly.)
  • Also, if there's vastly different power levels, I tend to give the weaker people a break, and while everyone is shooting Polly McShootsumup  because her weaponry set off every sensor in the neighborhood, Mr Ninja and Snuggles the Goblin will probably have a chance to slink off and do what needs done.
  • I can handle a lot of people doing different stuff. My personal record is 10 people split into 3 groups assaulting 3 different areas on a fort. So people -can- split up, It can be strategic!.. but it can also cut you off from backup.
  • Sometimes I make people roll for nothing at all. Sometimes its actually them rolling their luck. Sometimes I roll their luck in secret. Luck can change a lot of things, including how much that random NPC was around for and how much they're willing to tell. Weaker people get a bigger luck bonus.
  • I play easy a lot of the time, especially in cinematic settings. In gritty settings, that guard is going to shoot to kill, and he's going to be good at it. He was hired for a reason. So, mind the surroundings, what works in one system might not in another.
  • You aren't cleared to know what Happy Fun Points do.

This is a basic survival guide for my games. I only gave you 80% of the information.[/list]

NerdyCanuck

• Global Moderator
  • Board Head
  • GDH Admin/Rehab
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 12:24:35 am »

General Information

I enjoy running things both on the forums and IRC. That said, due to the amount of time and work that goes into forum RPs, I haven't ran anything large in quite some time. The last two plot-heavy threads I ran took approximately a year and a half each to complete. Because of this, any future forum RPs that I run will either be socials or designed as quick adventures. For non-socials, I will generally hold signups or request people PM me to join. For IRC, it's whatever suits my fancy.

The Rules

• Read the Words: I expect that all players in any game I run, be it forum or IRC, read everything that I and other players post to a game. This not only ensures that the game continues to run smoothly, but it ensures that everyone's actions are both acknowledged and understood. If people take the time to write something and contribute to the game, it's only fair to read and respond. If this rule is not followed, I can and will eject a player from a game.
  • Wall of Text: I am known to be a very wordy GM. I write a lot of words. If walls of text aren't your thing, then my RPs likely aren't for you. I don't necessarily expect walls of text in return, but I do expect mine to be read, as the words I write typically involve things important to the plot. (See Above)
  • Smaller is Better: I prefer to work with small groups, as they are more manageable and tend to move more quickly. (For IRC, I try to run games that last from 2-4 hours, which is generally only possible with a small number of players.)
  • Smooth Operations: I'll pick people that I feel will work well for the RP, not necessarily skill-wise, but playing-wise. I enjoy groups of people that can work well together OOC. I'm fine if people don't get along in character, or if their skillset isn't exactly what's needed for an RP, as that can be a lot of fun to work with, but I do expect people to be able to work together as players in order to move the story and mission forward.
  • Equal Powerlevels: Stealing a point from Carp up above, all characters are considered at the same "level". Basically, this allows for equal chance at success and failure by both "normal" and "uber" characters alike. I understand that some people like playing characters of varying power levels, and I like to ensure that everyone has the same chance at doing well or doing poorly regardless of how powerful (or not) their character is.
  • Skills/Character Types: I have no preference for skill-sets or character types. All I require is a profile or an explanation of what your character is capable of, as well as any items they will be carrying with them on the mission. If you wish to use something not normally found on your person or in the Armory and do not tell me explicitly that you have it, chances are good I will rule that you do not have it with you. Having said that, I am willing to work with you to determine whether or not you can use things in your surroundings, such as items that may or may not be lying around. Talk to me!
  • Briefings: I prefer to avoid the mission briefing in-game and will write it out ahead of time. Players that participate in my games are expected to read the briefing before the game starts. In the rare case where I run a briefing prior to an RP, players are expected to participate.
  • I like Dice: I often use dice rolls in my games. What this means is that no matter how powered or underpowered your characters are, all actions have a chance of success or failure. Nothing auto-hits, ever. I will modify dice rolls depending on a character's profile, circumstances, as well as actions taken. Please ensure that you state explicitly what you are doing with a given action, because if you do not, I may not rule in a fashion that falls in line with your intended action, as I will make assumptions to the best of my ability.
  • Flexible GM: I am willing to amend or alter my GM posts depending on the situation. PM me and we can discuss.
  • Regarding OOC: Keep OOC chatter in my games down to a minimum. If you are not participating, kindly don't make OOC comments in the game channel. That's what we have OOC channels for. For the forums, absolutely do not make a post that consists entirely of OOC comments. If you need to state something OOC, either do so at the bottom of an IC post or send me a PM.
  • Posting Order: For forum RPs, if you are waiting on someone else to post, you must notify the group as a whole via private message to prevent silent posting deadlocks. If I reason that folks are waiting without saying something, I'm certainly not going to postpone a GM post to allow for more time.
  • Aaaah, SVPC: As far as my RPs go, SVPC is not infallible. It is also not something  you are automatically good at, nor does it function like telepathy; it is a learned skill that takes time to master. I will be taking into account a character's experience as a Guardian/Guest if I need to rule on whether or not your SVPCs are noticed. Everyone has a chance of being noticed; those with more experience simply have much less chance. The exception to all this are characters whose comms are linked to some sort of cybernetic communication device, such as a datajack.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 02:52:39 pm by Faye »

Janus

• RPG Collector Supreme
  • Administrator
  • First Class Poster
  • "I'll explain that later."
    • Gamer's End RP Wiki
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 08:33:07 pm »

As GM Janus, I rarely run RP events that don't have some sort of followup potential.  Most of my GMing experience comes from games that are heavily story-based (Shadowrun, World of Darkness, Fireborn), so I naturally think about the long-game.

Because of this, most of my GMing takes place on IRC because I'm just able to get more done in certain amounts of time.  I am looking to change this, but I need to write up some documentation for everyone to be able to access before I can use my plots on forumside as well.

Otherwise, here's my current Modus Operandi;

• I don't use d20s when I can help it.  D20 causes cancer, and I like keeping my games as cancer-free as possible.  I'm working on a simple-ish dice pool system for the varying power levels of a game like Gaming Guardians, but for the most part I make any and all combat a situation that has more to do with storytelling skill than arbitrary dice rolls.
  • Character and Story always Wins.  If I have a chance to give an interesting plot by a twist of events, I will do it.  To this end, I usually issue "Plot Coupons" at the beginning of any session I run and then let players cash these in to do things.  Things like "Have the NPC react in a way that allows me to do something cool", "Let me have a piece of equipment that's just right for the circumstance", and "I want to pull off an awesome move that makes me look like a badass".  The more impact a request has, the more coupons I take away.  How do I decide on how many to take?  It's arbitrary and what I feel like, but it usually is determined by how much work I have to do extra to accommodate your request.
  • Failure is always an option.  I don't like running events where all of reality will come crashing down if you fail.  For that reason, characters that goof around or don't think out what they do will often find themselves either back in Medical or standing in front of a review board after a villain escapes or a System collapses.  Choices have consequences, so remember that when you make posts in my games.
  • I like using co-conspirators.  Lets face it, players don't always know what direction a story might be more interesting in.  To that end, I often like to ask one or two members to accept PMs from me that will give hints and nudges in directions that things will happen in.
  • Players are the Stars, I am the Storyteller.  I like making memorible characters for people to interact with, but I don't want them used to make things happen.  Guardians get things done, and they should always get the main attention.  I try not to write events where the entire point of it is to make you face down a character just so I can play them myself.
  • My decisions are Final.  Once I decide which way something should go, do not argue with me that I am wrong.  It annoys the crap out of me, and I don't like repeating myself.  I have ejected characters from my games because they kept pestering me to see things their way.  When I say something is final, I mean it and I'm not wanting to waste play time justifying it.
  • Small groups mean more screentime.  I rarely run events with more than 4 characters.  More than that, and I find myself having a hard time giving everyone equal attention.  If players work together more, I can give you more to do as pairs or teams, and will not often throw a bone to the character that just waits for things to happen.  Take chances, because failure does not mean the end of the world.
  • Talk to me.  I'm not telepathic.  Yet.  So if you need some help in what to do, or have a concern, talk to me.  I'll listen to you and consider what's going on.  My decisions will then be determined in what is best for the group and the story.
  • Right group for the right job.  I don't like randomly throwing people together to work.  No organization in their right mind will just say "Your names came up in the hat, so go out there and win!"  If I have a choice of people to participate, I will choose the mix that has the best chance of supporting each other without leaving someone in the shadows or character conflicts paralyzing play.  It's not favoritism, it's a desire for a game to not cause me a headache.

So, with that said, what do I look for in players for my games?
  • Defined powers/abilities.  I want to know strengths as well as weaknesses, and I want to be able to understand how your abilities work in 50 words or less.  I have a bias towards characters from established game Systems for this reason, as they naturally have a give-take system built into them (usually).
  • Superhuman power level or lower.  If you come to me with your godling character, you better have a damn good writeup or an awesome character.  Otherwise, you are just too much more work than everyone else and I don't want to have a major project on my hands just to make things playable for everyone again.
  • Play well with others.  If you have a history of alienating other characters and players, I'm just not likely to choose you.  It's as simple as that.  I'm GMing because I want to have fun, and so others have fun.  If you are known for not-fun, then you don't get to play.

((UPDATE)) Current GMing Options
  • Plot Coupons  I sometimes hand out a certain number of "coupons" which folks can cash in to get a circumstance to go a certain way, or to add something to the game.  I only hand these out in missions with a high combat/problem solving quotient, and is there primarily to allow you to help me make events relevant to your character and to give you some time in the spotlight.  It's a subjective system, so I ask for as many coupons as I think represent how major the request for change is.
  • Diceless Cinematic  This is often used in action scenes where combat is more the flavor of the story rather than something that is important to be fair on.  Players get a bit more leeway on declaring scene details and events than in usual RP, but in exchange I use no dice and am final dictator on success/fail.  I also reserve the right to alter certain power outcomes based on what I know of the System, but usually get some info from players before doing this.
  • FATE System  This is based on a version of FUDGE System mechanics, and essentially has players roll 4 dice with an outcome of "-1", "0", "+1" after they declare a skill level.  Sum total of the dice added to the score determines final value of test.  This is more for social conflicts and RPs where success or failure both make for good story.

GM Janus FAQ

OK, so... why the name "Janus"?
A couple of reasons.  I used to have in all of my tabletop games some sort of NPC named "Janus", and he always was some sort of plot device.  By being consistent in that, my players always knew that when they met a "Janus" in my games, they should never outright ignore him.  Another reason is because I see my role as a GM to be a bit dualistic in nature; I have to make sure I create an environment that engages the players to act, and I have to create conflicts to make them struggle.  Finally, there's the idea I like of the two-faced Roman god of passages, doorways, and time being something that sets up stories and events (plus I was born in January, which gains it's name from the god Janus himself).  So yes... more than a bit of ego in that last bit.

How can I get you to run my [insert storyline idea here] game?
That's not really how I work.  I do have a number of folks I often conspire with to NPC and run stories with, but that's usually because they've given me a significant stake in how things will progress.  If you really want to work with me, be ready to listen to me rambling.  A lot.  I will be interrogating you constantly on what seems like inane minutia and concepts that would appear to be unrelated, as well as debating with you on how certain concepts would mesh together.  If after all this interrogation I think the story would be more work for me than fun, I will let you know as much and hope my questions sparked some ideas in you.  But as I currently draw no income from writing or GMing (because currently there are few who commission GM work), I do not outright run games set down by other people.

What Systems do you know?
(as of 4/23/12) Shadowrun, World of Darkness (Original), Eclipse Phase, Battletech, Fireborn, Cthulhutech, Dresden Files, Firefly/Serenity, Paranoia, Doctor Who, Warmachine/Hordes, All Flesh Must Be Eaten, Alternity, Call of Cthulhu, Deadlands, Hollow Earth Expedition, In Nomine, Mutants & Masterminds, Rifts, Spelljammer, Conspiracy X, Aeon Trinity
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 12:23:13 am by Janus »
Doctor Hugo Easton - Mad SCIENCE!
Webhunter - College Student Werewolf
Azure Reg - Shadowrun Thief & British Mutant

Learn about them all by finding my links right HERE

Wirrit

• Forum Recruit
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 06:06:42 am »

I'm yet another IRC GM, as my periodic ventures into forum RP tend to implode about a month after the RP starts.  So, here goes.

• Session Length:  My missions tend to last about 4 hours, baseline.  If the group is small enough, it can occasionally, rarely be pushed down to 3.  With a large group, or a sufficiently complicated mission, it can go as high as 6 -- or more.  But, unless I specifically mention that its length is going to be special, you can assume you'll be signing up for 4 hours and change.  I'm perfectly okay with people having to go early on occasion though -- if you inform me ahead of time, I can try to give you a graceful write-out.  If you inform me right as you're leaving, I can give you a not-so-graceful write-out.  Either way, as long as you can attend most of the mission, you're welcome to join.
  • Group size:  This depends on the mission.  Generally speaking, I'm happy with anywhere between 3 and 8 players - with 4-5 being the sweet spot, usually.  If the plot specifically requires a smaller group (this usually occurs when the plotline grew out of social RP in some fashion), I might go as low as 1-3, but those 1-3 will often be specifically pre-chosen characters to whome the RP is relevant.
  • Combat Pacing:  Combat rounds can sometimes take anywhere between 5-15 RL minutes each -- especially if there's 5 or more players involved.  I use a loading bar whenever this happens, so players can tell about how long it will be until the GM post occurs.  Sorry in advance, I'm really slow.
  • Dice:  I find dice entertaining.  I use them when I am indecisive, or when I want to give people a chance to crit succeed/fail, or when an event could honestly go either way and be just as fun.  Generally, a dieroll won't directly determine success or failure -- it will determine whether you performed at the top or bottom of your skill range.  Whether my games contain dice use at all will depend mainly on whimsy and happenstance.
  • Character abilities:  You should remind me of what your character's abilities are (and how they work) when you use them, if you want me to interpret the results of their actions correctly.  This goes double for characters with always-on effects (protection from mind-control, the ability to see magical auras, super-hearing, etc) -- If you do not remind me, there's a good chance I will miss them.  I try to scan through peoples' profiles at the beginning of each mission, but can't always get to everything.
  • Awesome:  Awesome is awesome.  I like awesome.  I like there to be a lot of awesome in my games.  So, basically, what I'm trying to say is that I'm slightly closer to the 'cinematic' school of RP than I am to the 'Hard Scifi' school of RP.  If something looks cool, could lead to general hilarity or excellent stories later, and won't conflict with any pre-defined details, I'm pretty likely to go for it.  I am a very big fan of memorable descriptions and moments.
  • GMs vs. PCs vs. NPCs:  I personally believe that it is equally entertaining to watch a character deal with terrible strife, or watch them perform epic, awesome feats -- and that in fact, the best way to RP is to alternate between those two at a comfortable pace.  I also believe the GM exists to help people have fun when playing.  Thus, the job of a GM is to ensure that maximum amounts of weal and strife should occur, primarily to PCs, as seems appropriate.  I don't believe that NPCs should outshine the PCs in general, with perhaps rare exceptions, but they should be interesting for PCs to interact with, and their interactions with the PCs should seem to have meaning.  Therefor, they will realistically fake similar highs and lows - hopefully, without stealing the spotlight.
  • Humor:  Humor is important, nomatter what the theme of the game is going to be.  Even in the most terrible of IC situations, some variety of humor - even morbid humor - will probably show up now and again.  Also, if I happen to run an RP on a US holiday, you may want to be on-guard for some variety of disguised holiday theme.
  • Storyline length:  I tend to run two types of RPs.  (1) There are character-driven social things, which tend to arise naturally out of random RP with other characters.  These storylines have a length measured months, and may involve missions, but probably won't.  If I'm running a storyline of this sort, it is probably because the storyline is about one of my characters.  (2) Plot-driven, mission-heavy things, which tend to be planned in advance and have a definite storyarc -- which can be about one of my characters or (more frequently) about something completely different and random.  These can last a single session, or for as long as two consecutive years (as in Candyland) with periodic little breaks.  These types of stories are, however, prone to dying out now and again, if I lose concentration or get busy at the wrong time.  I do not run as many of them, but am trying to get back into the habit.
  • Mission Formula:
    • (1) I don't believe in having there be a single "Correct" solution to how the PCs should solve the conflicts in an RP.  Thus, I will produce conflicts, and think of (usually) at least one way in which the conflict can be resolved, but exactly what the team chooses to do will direct where the mission goes from there. 
    • (2) That said, unless I mention in advance it is a "No Combat Mission", the path of least resistance will probably involve combat.
    • (3) I will generally have a briefing of some kind, in which the general situation and the team's goals are explicitely mentioned.
    • (4) I really love novelty.  I love giving the players either a novel goal or one that is somewhat against their nature, perhaps giving some sort of unusual restrictions ("You may not bring or use any objects more complicated than pointy sticks."), or (by any other means) putting a character into an unusual situation just to see how they respond.  If I specifically invite someone to use a particular character, it probably means that that character is likely to trigger / particularly "enjoy" a planned complication -- or, the character may simply be well-suited to the mission.  You can never be completely sure.
    • I also like to introduce little complications, that may or may not have been in the briefing. Nomatter what is going on, somewhere in the mission, I will usually introduce at least one complication which will force the team to cope, re-interpret their strategy, and possibly change methodology if needed.  I like surprises, and like using them to dramatic effect.  Perhaps there is some unusual tactical element, maybe there's a faction involved that people didn't know about, maybe an inconvenient NPC just really wants to help.  Cleverness, or sometimes audaciousness, will generally guide you to victory.
  • The Spotlight:  Lastly... I like making sure that everyone's actions have meaning, and effect the game-world around them in some respect.  Maybe it will be different for each of them, but every member of the party ought to accomplish at least something important in every single mission -- whether it's accomplishing Awesome (tm) (see above), or a mission goal, or some kind of act with personal meaning.  On occasion, I do not succeed at this -- and for those occasions, I beg your pardon.  I really do try my best.  However, in order to accomplish anything in my games, you have to try to accomplish things -- I can give you options, but that's where my part of it ends.  Pick a goal, and we'll try to make it happen.

In conclusion:  I'm here to help*.

*Note:  My definition of "help" does not match most people's.  You may wish to check the "GMs vs. PCs vs. NPCs" section above.

Dathiel

• First Class Poster
  • ... Always Triumphs!
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 05:11:52 pm »

The Rules

Whether I run games in the forums or on mIRC I will probably use the following rules. 

1.   Please Read and Understand the GM post: This is true on IRC as well, If there is anything you do not understand about the post or what I said please PM me and I will clear it up.
2.   Please read what Other People are doing: Your fellow players are usually your teammates and paying attention to what they are doing is key for good teamwork.
3.   Character Sheets: I expect anyone who pm’s to join one of my games to give a link to the character they wish to enter. I READ CHARACTER SHEETS. I expect all abilities to at least have a general description. I also expect a general personality description for the character and expect you to adhere to that description.
4.   Wordy: I tend to use a lot of words and am very verbose during GM posts. If you do not like that type of gm style then maybe you shouldn’t sign up. This is also true for mIRC. If I am doing a wordy post in mIRC that will take up a lot of room I tend to put (Done) at the end to let others know that I am finished.
5.   Small Groups: I have done rp’s with as many as 12 people at once, I did not enjoy it (and probably won’t attempt it unless it is a social). I prefer to do smaller groups of no more than 5 people.
6.   Equal Powerlevels: This I am borrowing from Carp. With so many characters from so many systems I consider all abilities from all characters to have an equal chance of success and failure. This serves 2 purposes. 1: it gives weaker characters the chance to contribute to the activities of the group and 2: it makes team work more important.
7.   IRC OOC: Please limit all out of character chatter when I am running a game on mIRC to a minimum, if you must do it take it to another channel.
8.   I use dice: Mostly behind the scenes but I do roll for every action to see if an action succeeds or not.
9.   Phrasing: Please phrase every action AS AN ATTEMPT I roll for all actions.
10.   Plot: I tend to be plot focused in my games and am prone to changing my mind. If something interesting happens, or if a character does something that drastically alters the story from its intended goal I tend to go along with it, or find an interesting obstacle to put in the way.
11.   Failure is an acceptable alternative: I tend to make many paths to a goal in my games, players have freedom to choose. If you fail in one path it does not mean you fail at the entire game. Choices your characters make do affect the game and outcome and therefore will have consequences.
12.   Flexibility: I can and will change my posts depending on the situation, but only if you PM me. If I have ruled a decision as final then it is FINAL. I do try to be fair and rarely rules something one way or the other without the reason being clear. I do favor plot in these circumstances – Be warned.
13.   Co-conspirators: Because of the plot focus I tend to have in my games I enjoy enlisting other players in helping with the plots. If you have a good idea—share it!
14.   Regarding Godling Characters: I generally have no problems allowing super power level characters into my game so long as they have an interesting character behind them.
15.   Group Cohesion: People who tend to work well together and show great creativity will always be welcomed back into future games.
16.   Forum PM’s: I read character sheets and pay attention to skills and spells in forum games I will pm you constantly updating you with information your character knows through a special sense, skill, ability, or small reconnaissance run. If you use a skill that gives you a glimpse of the future then you generally get the information privately and are given a chance to share with the group what you find from your perspective. The only time I do not do this is Forums is during combat encounters, it becomes quicker and easier to recap info in OOC comments at the end of a round at that point (usually). Because of the speed of mIRC I usually don’t have time to pm constantly – which will make my posts and responses more wordy than usual.