Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: MEMORANDUM  (Read 7420 times)

Ashla

• Second Class Poster
  • Rifts affiendo!
Re: MEMORANDUM
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2011, 12:33:28 am »

TO: GSS Sage Russel, GDH Drathari, GSS Hugo Easton
Subject: re: New ordinance

My apologies Drathari and Dr. Easton, the exact vagarities of R&D reorganization were lost on me between my return from seeing to personal matters in my home system, paperwork and design/testing of these two devices. Note that beyond the construction of a handful of test devices (in order to prove that the devices would function as intended) did occur with parts that I either cobbled together from those within my lab or acquired at personal expense from labs in the primary, and that at present there are a total of 3 psi-hammers and one unloaded nest of bees chassis (I decided that -while it was possible to construct the micro CM tags- that fabricating 300 devices that could cripple anyone in the outpost represented too tempting a target to would be terrorists until after I had full authorization to proceed from the DH) All contained within a man sized vibranium safe within my lab.

The primary intent of my designing these two devices (as well as future projects) is to provide effective non-lethal weaponry that can be safely used with a minimum of training by anyone (though to be honest, I did envision most of these as being utilized by green shirt personnel to compensate for a lack of innate powers possessed by them). Moving forward, I would like to continue working within this area of designing specialized non lethal ordinance and am open to suggestions for what people feel there is a need for.

With the preface out of the way, I will do my best to discuss the points raised by Hugo.

With regards to the Psi-hammer
1. The problem with AoE weapons is that in combat it is entirely possible to find yourself being subjected to attack from your allies. putting aside the obvious problems of harming your friends there is the far more insidious problem of how it creates division and mistrust within the ranks (I say this having both been the cause of such and the recipient of others). This having been said, I should point out that any attack is to one degree or another an "area of effect" weapon, whether the area be the arc of a swords swing or narrow trajectory of a bullet.
2. This is indeed a considerable concern (hence my worries over the large area of the attack) and wouldn't advise the weapon be issued to individuals when a Psi agent is involved. Hopefully however, those agents would be able to afford a degree of protection to the team thus diminishing the need for the weapon.
3. The manner in which the psi hammer functions, is that it creates a temporary separation between a Psion's mental powers and there consciousness resulting in neural shock. While all living organisms with a brain posses minute degrees of psionic ability (common examples being gut, extremely lucky guesses, ect.) and thus be subject to the device, the effect would be minimal; a mild head ache or a sensation like eye strain would be a typical result for them. Against individuals emulating similar abilities via effects like magic, the device is considerably less likely to have a desirable result.

As to the Nest of bees, I would make no argument for it's issuance in anything short of an extreme scenario where a hostile simply can not be contained by more conventional means. Still, I will do what I can to address the concerns that you have to the best of my ability:

1: The ability to make a miniaturized matrix means stripping away a considerable number of standardized features; a battery that lasts less then 2 minutes instead of weeks, the absence of a locator, Nothing to calibrate for jaunt travel, no racial conversions, no language/skill packages... Really the micro cm's are rather crude in comparison to a conventional one, and could be manufactured with less materials. The greatest problem is that at present, we don't have the fabrication means to construct these at any significant rate and would be forced to construct them by hand one at a time; a single nest complement might take upwards of a week for a single individual to complete, and this assumes they don't have any other duties.
2. This is also a concern, and again why I would restrict these devices to extreme circumstances. To further dissuade guardians from using them, I would (If I were a quartermaster instead of a researcher) instigate a rule that once the device was used, the individual who made the decision to do so would be in charge of personally ensuring that all 300 cm's were recovered. By hand.
3. I had thought I had considered the long term effects by ensuring the diminished battery life of the mcm device, but the overall effects of the weapon to an area shouldn't have any greater effect then that of say... 10 guardians standing in close proximity for an extended period of time (basically nothing). That having been said, the only way to be absolutely sure of the effect would be an actual field test in an area outside of the primary, and after hearing the nature of this concern, I would pursue such a test only at the discretion of the head weapons development and in his absence, the head of R&D.

Sage R.

• Junior Grade Poster
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2011, 07:25:58 am »

TO: Gaddez Darkmoor
Subject: Re: New Ordnance

It has become apparent to me that you have failed to understand what GSS Easton has asked of you, and why he has asked of you what he has. Allow me to clarify his statements and their intention, as well as state my personal impressions of your proposals.

I will begin with my astonishment at your statement of 'the vagaries' being lost upon you. However, you are now, doubtless, fully informed of said vagaries, and in the future will ensure that you are doing things according to proper and current protocol before beginning fabrication of your project. It will at the very least save you the use of your own personal resources. We have made the proposal process more complex and detailed because R&D deals in all manner of product--some dangerous, some not--and a lax system of approval and disapproval for projects results in waste of finances, waste of time, waste of materials, waste of labor, and on occasion, waste of life that would otherwise not have occurred.

To that end, Dr. Easton (and that is how you should address him; if not, then GSS Easton. I'm fairly certain that if he ever catches you calling him 'Hugo' again, the shouting will cause walls to collapse) has requested that you engage in further research and provide that research to one of us for approval before you pursue fabrication any further. Implementation on a wide scale should be the furthest thing from your mind for the foreseeable future. There is a very specific reason we require all projects to be written out, and to pass inspection from one who is not directly involved in that project: The project is the writer's baby, and one tends to view one's baby in the best light possible, even if it's got a serious harelip and needs to grow into its ears a bit more.

Moving as far ahead with your project as you've done without any outside input has resulted in a dumbo-eared little mutant, and it requires a great deal of tweaking if it has any hope of seeing the light of day. And so we come to the crux of the matter: the projects themselves.

The Psi-Hammer:

There is a certain absurdity to the assertion that a weapon which you have stated will be all but guaranteed to cause damage to user, allies and enemies alike is a more practical choice than a weapon which does not do these things unless mishandled or improperly constructed. While I understand that your intent was to create specialized weaponry, you have in this instance greatly overspecialized, providing an option that truly fits only a select scenario and which provides far too little actual benefit over the tools already available in the standard Guardian field kit. At each concern raised by my colleague, your response has been simply to explain that there would be incentives only to use it in dire emergencies, to which I can only ask, "Why would anyone take this weapon instead of a jaunt beacon, or not simply turn their neurolaser up to 11?" If the object of this weapon is to be nonlethal and practical, it should not be required to be implemented only in dire emergencies.

I am, however, extremely curious as to what Primary-based materials were involved in this thing's construction, as there exists in Primary no scientific process by which the Psi-hammer or its effect can be created.

The Nest of Bees:

You have no idea how fortunate you are that you caught Dr. Easton in the mood that you did, and that he only wrote what he did. My initial response burned holes in the paper it was written on, and thus I allowed him to convey the gist. You did not take the hint, and so I am afraid I must be blunt.

This is a stupid idea. This is a terrible idea. This is an irresponsible idea. This is an idea that can and will result in a massive accident that would jeopardize systems. Requiring that use of it means collecting each and every miniature CM by hand? Are you kidding? That's not a safeguard, that's a threat of punishment on the honor system. And on the subject of miniature CMs--CM technology is nowhere near as simple as you seem to believe. It is far and beyond your pay grade to discuss in detail what a CM is and how it works. The original developers maintain the details as proprietary secrets.

I have never even considered the notion that I would have to explain why it is a bad idea to throw CMs by the dozen at an enemy, but here we are: A laptop with a dead battery still has all your juicy information stored on it. All it needs is a new power source, and suddenly, somebody ELSE has all your juicy information, as well as the opportunity to reverse-engineer their own laptop. Faustus Easton's activity is only the most recent example of Guardian technology being perverted, and used to cause the annihilation of an entire system and escape from it. We are tired of this happening, and precautions are being taken. Fortunately, the security measures for CM technology have been in existence since well before I became a GSS.

If you truly wish to create new and better mousetraps, I strongly suggest far greater forethought and planning, as well as understanding who you report it to. As you addressed the memo yourself, it is apparent you knew the rank and department of the person you sent your proposal to in the first place, and neither part of it was 'GSS' or 'R&D.' I am extremely displeased that I had to find out about this project of yours from my boss. Make absolutely certain that this does not happen again.

Oh, and you spelled my name incorrectly. Make sure that doesn't happen again, either.

-GSS Sage Russell
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 01:25:33 pm by Sage R. »
The Human
The Dragon

I'm chiefly an IRCer, but I dabble in the forums on occasion.

Denzine

• Neutral Guest
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2011, 05:39:04 pm »

Subject: Suggestions

If you get them approved I'll put them in the supply chain.

----------------------------------------

TO: Drathari Telperien
Subject: Gaddez Darkmoor's suggestions

I'm not in R&D.

Ashla

• Second Class Poster
  • Rifts affiendo!
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2011, 11:57:31 pm »

TO: GSS Sage Russell
Subject: re: New ordinance

Sage, perhaps you should allow your fellow GSS to speak for himself in regards to his thoughts, since ~as far as I know~ you two aren't mind bonded.

As to the concerns you have raised (my process, application, how absurdly easy it is to build a functional Conversion Matrix, ect.), I would be happy to discuss them with you if you could be bothered to maintain a degree of civility and open mindedness.

-------------------------
To: Denzine
Subject: Suggestions

Thanks, though I'm getting the impression that that's an easy promise to keep since I have to get this past Sage first.

Nekane

• Second Class Poster
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2011, 12:11:16 am »

From: Mariya Line Demordenaar, Administrative Assistant, The Office of GSS Sage Russell
Subject: Your Annual Performance Review. Read Immediately.

Dear Mr. Darkmoor--

It's that time of year again-- time for your annual performance review, to be administered by your department superiors and related department head officers. Your review will take place in conference room 6 [tomorrow].

Failure to arrive will result in: Immediate Demotion. Refusal to arrive will result in: Time in Sublevel 2 to be determined by your department superiors. Inability to arrive will result in: Medical evaluation and then further penalties pending department review.

Your evaluators will be: GSS Russell, GSS Easton, GSS Cesoerdo, GDH Telperien, and GDH Caruthers. Please be aware that although this is an annual review, your activities over the past several years will also be scrutinized and compared to your current.

Please respond to me via inter-organization electronic mail or in writing as soon as you receive this memorandum, or by [tomorrow], for confirmation of receipt.

Thank you, and have a constructive review.

Sincerely,
Mariya Demordenaar
Administrative Assistant
The Office of GSS Sage Russell
The Gaming Guardians
---, Primary City, CA, -------

OOC NOTE: Despite the IC text, you have a week to reply and confirm. I'll be sending this to both your PM box and here to allow you your choice in venue for response.

Taross Blackburn

• Administrator
  • Thread Staff Sergeant
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2011, 09:06:14 am »

To: All Staff members of GSS rank and higher

Subject: General Warning

Body:
It has come to my attention that there have been two rather major events that occurred now where a report filed by the participants mentions a being with a rather similar name; Caster.

The name struck out to me seeing that I have on my desk the last report filed by Guardian Jenna before she came to have a tragic accident on her way home from the Outpost. And now I have on top of that a report from three of our number having been spontaneously teleported to yet another alternate-dimension Outpost. (I had hoped the Australian one was the last. Maybe we're making Shadows due to the Amberites amongst us?)

I want to call out a general warning to all Guardians to be weary of any occurrance where names such as "Caster", "Avenger", A being named only as "Merciful Guillotine of Starlit Executions" and anything to do with a Chalice... which is another word for Grail and brought up in the recount that Guardian Jenna has compiled from the debriefings from Tiernan, Jack, Jarod and Machaira.

I fear that as an organisation we are being used by an outside, growing force to make it stronger for whatever purpose there may be.
If any of you has any ideas on how to progress with this issue, I'll gladly hear. For now I am waiting with an all-out message until I've had some more opinions; I don't want to start a minor panic.

Regards,
GSS Taross Blackburn.

(( I am basing this info on the report filed by Rath, and the epilogue from 'Summoning the Sky Dragon', where it has been concluded that a report had been filed. I'm figuring that a 'last report made by someone crashing to her death' leaves a few more memory flags than report 3362 from Guardian X ;) ))

TheDragonGirl

• Artist Extraordinaire
  • Second Class Poster
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2011, 06:15:33 pm »

To: GSS Hugo Easton, GSS Sage Russell, GDH Drathari Teleprin

This is one of the harder letters to write I've had to do. Not the hardest, but difficult, since I oversaw the return of primarian remains to their families more than once, the bar is set rather high.
Its been an honour and a privilege to work in this department, and I've enjoyed every moment of my more than half a decade with all of you.
Some of you may be aware that admin has been making offers my way for some time now, and its become increasingly obvious that while I'm gifted at research, my field work, and the information networks I build are, and always have been, much more suited to the task of information gathering, and while its a fine line, and I will desperately miss my research, I think that working with Intell will be to my benefit, at least for now.
Drath: I have not, of course,  stopped working on the project I was personally involved in, and will be wrapping those up for you.  Rupert and myself hold the prototypes for the single user version, and I only need to work out the security kinks in the multiuser version. I will  not be ending my apprenticeship with him, regardless of my department of employ, and would be more than happy to be called in on a case to case basis.
Dr Easton: You always pushed us to excel, and tested us beyond our limits. I believe you will find that the replacement I've selected for my subdepartment exceeds your standards, and I was the weakest link in that team.
You may wish to be aware that Admin has decided to award me control of their half of project Booknote, I will be coordinating with R&D's Representative on this. It was an interesting experience to work under you, sir.
Sage: I believe this move will actually strengthen our friendship, while taking a good deal of pressure off of you. I know you worry for me, but the burdeon of being my supervisor is off of you now, and with someone whom my predilections better suit as a worker.
I hope someday to return to R&D, as my heart will always lay with the research, but for now I feel I must do this, and I never did get the chance to explore other departments before I settled down.

~GFC Jenny Wren

Taross Blackburn

• Administrator
  • Thread Staff Sergeant
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2012, 02:35:39 pm »

To: Rehabilitiation, Security; GSS and up.
cc: Rehab case handler for Tiernan.

Concerining Tiernan Barimen.

In light of certain current threats to himself and the Outpost, as well as the positive behaviour he displayed, I would like to recommend any pending reviews to be moved forwards.
I would like Tiernan to be allowed to use his full potential. He appears to be a prime target to an enemy who will overwhelm and capture -or kill- him if he can't fully fend for himself. If fully unsupervised unrestricted abilities are not viable, then perhaps a rather less invasive NON-implanted CM that could be used to provide some security.
The device would still jaunt the owner to the sublevels should it be tempered with or removed, but it's default state would be to allow Tiernan his power.
Thank you in advance for your consideration, but I would like to stress to considerate quickly. I would not like to see Tiernan abducted or killed because he could not defend himself.

NerdyCanuck

• Global Moderator
  • Board Head
  • GDH Admin/Rehab
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2012, 05:20:44 pm »

To: All Guardians
Subject: Tiernan Barimen

This memorandum is in regards to Tiernan Barimen, and is a direct response to both Taross' Azuredawn Report and Memorandum, as well as a request from GJG Gaddez Darkmoor, who had the recent opportunity to talk with the Amberite.

In light of the ongoing threat of the Chaliceborn, and their intent in attacking him personally, I am authorizing his complete release from any and all power dampening. In addition, as he has demonstrated a willingness to change his ways and work alongside the Guardians as an ally, he will be largely released from the rehabilitation program. A tracking device, both for security purposes and his own safety, will remain implanted in his body in a location known only to Guardians of Staff Sergeant and Department Head ranks.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 06:45:40 pm by Faye »

NerdyCanuck

• Global Moderator
  • Board Head
  • GDH Admin/Rehab
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2012, 05:20:46 pm »

To: GSS Taross Blackburn
Subject: Update on Chaliceborn situation

I haven't been able to complete my Trump of Machaira to use in a divination attempt, but something's happened that I think you should be made aware of. Some Shadowkin/Amberite hybrid showed up, found Dirus, and later found me. He gave me a Trump which he claimed would lead us to Machaira and warned me against using my own as it might alert Avenger. Supposedly, the black and white trump will not, but it is only usable for the next week and can only transport up to three people. It's also black and white, etched, and likely requires a Shadowkin to make real sense of.

Seeing as how time is short, I made a quick decision as to how I'd like to handle this. With a Shadowkin involved, I'd like to bring Dirus, as his knowledge and skillset will be valuable in the event that this turns out to be the trap I believe it to be. The Shadowkin that gifted me with the Trump is claiming to be an Ally, but I'm not so stupid that I'd believe him at his word. So, best to go in prepared. This leaves me with one slot and I think I'd be in a fair bit of trouble if I didn't bring Mariya's paramour, Azure Reg.

Unfortunately, if I go with this setup, it means I can't bring you along. I'd really wanted to after our talk the other day, but I think I'll be fine with Reg and Dirus. They seem to know what they're about, and I trust that they'll have my back. And, you know, we'll keep in contact with the Outpost, be responsible, and come home the dashing heroes. Well, they'll be heroes. I'll just be there. It's worth mentioning that I'll be taking a couple days to study the Trump (with Dirus), as well as complete the one I started of Mariya. Even if using mine to discern her location is a bad idea, it might come in handy once we're there and things turn to pot. Never know.
Pages: 1 [2]