Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [Closed RP] XCOM: Green Ops - A Gaming Guardians Field Mission  (Read 2671 times)

Janus

• RPG Collector Supreme
  • Administrator
  • First Class Poster
  • "I'll explain that later."
    • Gamer's End RP Wiki

What's going on?  Who's involved?  Where do I ask questions?  Click Here to see our OOC signup and Q&A thread.  If you want to know anything about the RP, please post there (players or side readers).
Sad you didn't get to sign up?  That's OK, let us know what you think the next field mission RP should be in the signup thread!

Digital Sector on the edge of the Nostalgia Belt of Jauntspace
System Cluster Gamma-Tau-299-Black, aka "The XCOM Cascade"

For years this sector had gone with only cursory monitoring; a Legacy System kept alive by diehard fans, Top 100 articles in gaming publications, and indie developers making "Spiritual Successors" to the original game.  But during the D'Twenty Civil War, a new presence grew and soon created a unique cluster that held the old and new ideas together, strengthening the crossover streams through Jauntspace.

What was once just a backwater curiosity on the Gaming Guardians patrol circuit was now a growing cosmos of fandom, one which was growing increasingly violent as more and more Primary gamers sought it out for a new challenge.

"Look alive, Guardians!  We are not dropping you down into some little Steam campaign or a Simulation Fanfiction.  This is a battlefield!  We are going to enter the Canon Nexus, the crossroads of all material that has been developed for a game that takes pride in forcing it's players to admit defeat!"

The command officer was a grizzled human dressed in urban camo fatigues and a dark green beret, and he had been overseeing the entire trip into the System by way of a modified Skyranger outfitted with Jauntdrive.  Besides him were a few R&D field agents, and one or two spooks from Intel.  But the guests of honor on this trip were four Field Guardians:  Gaddez, Zoey, Ren, and Tracker.

"Intel has informed us that within the last 12 hours a foreign System Shard impacted into the Nexus, causing a large flareup in native activity.  The last time we saw this happen here it was a chunk of some old abandoned shooter franchise that got lodged in, and we chose to just go with a basic observation team.  The result was a complete death recall of every member,, and the XCOM shooter game became one of the most disappointing developments in gaming in the last 4 years."

As the officer walks up and down, the R&D people are finishing the fittings of the equipment for the field team, and Intel seems to be fiddling with the CMs by downloading data to them from some laptops.

"You are not recon.  You are not ambassadors.  You are not investigators.  You are going in as soldiers!  Whatever has impacted in this System must either be neutralized are extracted.  I expect each of you to fight until the mission is complete or until you have given your last hit point to the mission!"

There's turbulance as the Skyranger transitions past the System Barrier and enters the Nexus reality, and once everything evens out again it's like every sensory input is tinged with the concept of a brutal war waiting to be entered into.

"Finish suiting up... then get to the rear hatch for landing."

Ren is being outfitted with sleek power armor with almost organic lines before having a Conversion Matrix plugged in where the XCOM insignia would be in the middle of his chest.  As soon as it activates, Ren feels the flood of Esper-like abilities as he is converted into a Psionic Support Trooper.

Zoey is having armor plating applied to her flexible jumpsuit of some sort of adhesive before it's all hooked up with cabling into the CM on her chest which converts her into a Gene-Modded Assault Trooper.  It's a bit strange when she realizes that she now has two hearts, and can feel how her leg muscles are able to flex and coil inside of her for added jumping power.

Gaddez has just been finished getting hooked into a refurbished suit of Titan Armor, the holographic displays coming online as he can choose between the offered Heavy Trooper CM or taking with him some Out-of-System weapons.  Apparently he will not be able to do both.

R&D is finishing outfitting Tracker with a bit of experimental tech; a CM for the still-in-production XCOM 2.  He's been warned that there may be some unexpected effects because the concept is still being finished back in Primary, but it will allow him to work more efficiently with melee combat in the Nexus as an XCOM Resistance Ranger.

Once this initial outfitting is finished, the Guardians have just a short time to grab a few pieces of equipment before landing.

((Announce what you are looking for in the supplies on the transport, or what you may have brought with you.  If I feel you are packing too many items, I will tell you in the post before you get off the transport by telling you what you could get before being deposited into the mission.  There will be no debates, no appeals, no PM inquiries on exact parameters... take what you need, and if you are lucky or make a good story there may be more found as you fight your way to the objective.  I also reserve the right to add minor or miscellaneous items to a "utility pack" on the armor to speed along narration or add to dramatic moments.))

Card Counter

Hearts - 10, Jack ### Diamonds - 4, Jack ### Spades - 3, 4, 6 ### Clubs - 8, Jack
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 03:28:15 pm by Janus »
Doctor Hugo Easton - Mad SCIENCE!
Webhunter - College Student Werewolf
Azure Reg - Shadowrun Thief & British Mutant

Learn about them all by finding my links right HERE

Rhiann

• Second Class Poster
  • I'm a fox. Want to know more? Just ask.
    • The World of Sau'du
Re: [Closed RP] XCOM: Green Ops - A Gaming Guardians Field Mission
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 11:45:05 pm »

Tracker checks the weapons locker for four things:
* Hand weapons similar to Ninja climbing claws that can be strapped to hands and/or feet.
* Sword similar enough to his own, albeit of heavier make and hardness. He will actually test this blade against an anvil or other very heavy object. (Note: He does have a bionic boost to strength, but it's not a primary function. Speed is more important than power to him.)
* Slug-type handgun that can be fastened near the small of his back (where coincidentally his own, lighter energy handgun plugs in.)
* Shotgun with a selection of shells from bird to slug. If he finds some explosive rounds, he'll grab a pack of those too.

Last but not least and considering the video briefing the group received, he sees if he can interface with one of the UAVs of any type. While not expected, he might get lucky enough to tap a lightweight scout drone to aid in any soft probes during the mission.
He also reminds the Command Officer that his tail is necessary for his balance and agility. Any conversion matrix programming would need to either accommodate it or make it invisible if he's expected to look like a human in armor.

Once loaded up, he moves to the door and prepares for egress by charging up his shields, shotgun locked and loaded.
Rhiann: Priestess of the Web and a powerful Telepath/telekinetic.
Tracker: Bionic fox from an 'alternate' Earth.
Dav: A Worgen (Werewolf) Shaman from the World of Warcraft

Will there be others?

Gaddez

• Forum Recruit
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 04:59:27 pm »

From inside of the guardian Armory Gaddez carefully considers the arsenal he had to choose from as well as what he personally had available, carefully weighing power against being as unobtrusive as possible in order to prevent later complications.

Then he see's something that ultimately makes his decision for him.

When Gaddez arrives inside of the Hangar, others will see that hes wearing the suit of Titan armor that the armory had provided (normally, he disliked being constrained by body armor because it interfered with his sense of touch and hearing, but the titan armor was fully environmental and with all the nasty things that utilized poison in the setting that was deffinitley a plus), his missile launcher is over his shoulder with his backpack and carried in his hands is a weapon from his home system that would fit the "heavy" role and half again: a Naruni Enterprises Plama cartridge machine gun (normally the orc avoided weapons that were this inacurate and cumbersome, but it fit his archetype and in they would need the firepower it would provide). As a bonus, the cartridges would be fully consumed in the firing so there would be no trace of the exotic weapon having ever been there.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 07:40:20 pm by Gaddez »

Dathiel

• First Class Poster
  • ... Always Triumphs!
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 07:12:24 pm »

Ren looks over his psi-armor and is impressed. He looked somewhat... cool. “I think I’m going to love this job.” Maybe he could ask the guardians to always go out with this armor on?

Going over to the locker he looks for some smoke grenades, medikits, handy ‘revive’ needles (just in case), electro flares, a motion scanner, and the best weapons he can find. Hopefully a plasma rifle and a sonic pistol.  If he has room he’ll look for an arc thrower because the system briefing mentioned that arc throwers are what people use to capture aliens in this world. His reasoning is that just because they were going in to eliminate a threat it was no excuse to overlook potential information obtained from living enemies.

This will be only his second time going up against non-celestial forces. He’s a little bit curious, nervous, and excited.

Kyle

• Forum Recruit
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 08:47:19 am »

Zoey is still testing the new way the muscles in her legs move when she moves in to grab equipment, almost looking like a runner doing warm up exercises. The secondary heart is just plain concerning to her and she keeps poking at it mentally once she notes it even exists. .oO( I understand how this is supposed to help, but I still feel as though it would make matters worse if I get shot.)

She's actually done some studying up on XCOM prior to the briefing in prep for the mission and she'll be taking the best assault class shotgun ever, the alloy cannon. .oO( I will be disappointed if this isn't as destructive as I have been led to believe.) Almost as an afterthought she'll grab a plasma pistol in case she has to shoot at an enemy when she's not at point blank range.

In addition to the gene modding granted by her CM she'll have requested the respirator implant because those are some nasty things they have the potential to face that are canon much less whatever they are here to remove. It may be uncomfortable if it kicks in, but it will be a good deal better than getting strangled or poisoned.

As far as armor goes if she was asked for preference when they started gluing plating onto her jumpsuit she's going ghost. Being actually invisible and capable of dealing massive damage at the same time? It's enough to make any warrior class half-angel giddy.

Just because you're blonde and from California doesn't mean you have big breasts and live at the beach ~Mia

Janus

• RPG Collector Supreme
  • Administrator
  • First Class Poster
    • Gamer's End RP Wiki
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 05:03:54 am »

The Skyranger lands with a jolt, the back of the air transport opening onto a dark urban landscape.  In the distance the sound of screams can be heard as invaders rampage through the nameless tropical city.

For those that had not ever seen reports on the System, alien terror events were signs that the computer was escalating difficulty and challenging the human commander to keep up with the invaders.  Here in the Nexus, however, there was a near constant war as human and invaders gained and lost various continents to each other.

Tracker will not find ninja-claws in the Skyranger armory, but there is a pair of shiney Thermal Blades retrofitted from the bulky Thermal Lances used by underseas XCOM agents.  Without being charged they are made from the same alloy as alien ships, but once the conductive polymer core is charged they slice through hardened steel.  The slug-thrower will be a futuristic looking pistol with electronic caseless ignition, and it makes a menacing *thrummmmm* when aimed at a target.  The shotgun is a hardened combat shotgun with a pump action reload, though there are only 3 explosive shells that can be found before the landing.

Gaddez will be provided with 4 rockets for his launcher, 1 already loaded.  3 standard rockets, and 1 incendiary rocket... 'just in case', he was told by one of the R&D techs.

Ren will have 2 deluxe medkits, 3 smoke grenades, and 4 electroflares.  No scanner is on board, but there is a vintage Sonic Pistol and one of the new plasma rifles sitting in the racks.

Zoey will find the alloy cannon charging in a special cradle, the smell of metal and ozone heavy in the air around it.  The plasma pistol feels warm, and the energy harnessed within it even makes Zoey's skin feel like she grabbed ahold of a lightning bolt in a jar.  Finally the respirator is locked on around her neck, and she can feel the cool metal of the injectors rest against her throat.  All of that is ready as soon as the techs finish attaching on the cloaking mechanisms that completed the Ghost Armor.

With the team on the ground, the Skyranger takes off again to go and deliver the R&D and Intel teams elsewhere to monitor the situation and provide overwatch.  The Guardians are left outside the burning wreck of a courthouse, their current options are to head toward the sounds of sirens, or move for the apartment building across the street for a better view of the surrounding urban area.

((GM Note: always feel free to add in incidental descriptions of terrain, basic cover, or anything else that helps your narrative but does not contradict what I set up directly.  I will give options only so you always have an idea of where you can go, but that is not the only options I will accept.  If you have an idea for a possible option to go after, then attempt it in your post and I will respond in my GM post.

The philosophy of this RP is that No Post Shall Be Wasted, and Posts About Inactivity Are EVIL.  As a GM it will be my goal for there to always be something to respond to, and if I have nothing to respond to directly in your post then more monsters need to be present.))
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 07:03:49 pm by Janus »

Rhiann

• Second Class Poster
    • The World of Sau'du
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2015, 02:52:57 pm »

-- Insertion point --

While waiting for egress, Tracker loads the shotgun with the largest ball shot he'd found, hopefully ball bearings, but if it's buckshot, then good enough. Considering the scenario, he doesn't expect to do much damage with it, but the noise and impact might help him cause a distraction. The three explosive shells he stashes where he can easily reach them. The blades aren't exactly what he's looking for, but he thinks if he gets a little time he might be able to MacGuyver the things into paw-blades for a 'sharp' flying kick. The controls may be a little difficult to reach in a fight, but even if not energized they might offer a bit of a surprise.

If not the first off the Skyranger, Tracker is second, moving at speed to the nearest doorway to take a fast scan around in all directions--including the door itself. If no obvious opposition confronts the team, he coms, "I suggest we get an overview of the area as it is. Street level is a maze and we need some idea of who is where before we move in."

Will there be others?

Dathiel

• First Class Poster
  • ... Always Triumphs!
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2015, 04:38:13 pm »

Stashing everything he can find, Ren looks around cautiously. The sirens in the distance beckon, but this looks like a war zone.

Readying his plasma rifle he nods at Tracker but doesn't say anything. Getting a view from above would be far easier for someone else to do. R&D did say the altered system could trigger his esper abilities in theory but Ren doesn't want to turn off his CM and find out the hard way he can't fly.

Ren also looks for cover, perhaps behind a nearby car, but he doesn't rush and keeps his eyes out for danger along the way.

Kyle

• Forum Recruit
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2015, 02:20:15 am »

Zoey will hop off the ship with a smile on her face and the alloy cannon in her hands. Their surroundings have her undivided attention, though nothing sounds close enough to be an immediate threat that doesn't mean much. .oO(A pity we have no sniper, that apartment building would be a lovely vantage point.)

Tracker's in a doorway, Ren's using a car for cover. Zoey will stay close-ish of course but once it's obvious there's not an instant threat of being shot, poisoned, or strangled she'll hunker down beside an astonishingly battered (but still in one piece) mail drop box for the moment and open up team communication. <<PC Team: I do not know about the rest of you, but I feel as though we should head for the area the screams seem to be coming from. It is.. remarkably quiet here.>>
Just because you're blonde and from California doesn't mean you have big breasts and live at the beach ~Mia

Gaddez

• Forum Recruit
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2015, 05:03:04 am »

Descending from the ramp at a steady pace, Gaddez considers the options before committing, as well as getting everyone going with their roles in a way that would be comfortable for them and productive to the mission.

"Securing the building gives us oversight and a position we can bunker up in if we need to fall back, so we need to lock it down before we worry about anything else. Tracker, head over to it and check it out to make sure it doesn't have any X-rays lurking inside when me and Ren get there."

"You do have a point though Zoey; getting eyes on target is important so move out and figure out where the hostiles are. Don't engage though; Xcom aliens travel in packs and one operative is rarely able to take on one by themselves."

"Also: open ground is death. Always move from one point of cover to the next."

That having been said, Gaddez will begin making his way towards the building, using whatever cover he can to make safer his approach; he is carrying nearly 200 lbs of equipment afterall between his plasma machine gun with belt feed, the rocket launcher and his body armor and while he can do so it won't be nearly as fast as his companions.

Janus

• RPG Collector Supreme
  • Administrator
  • First Class Poster
    • Gamer's End RP Wiki
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2015, 04:32:08 am »

The apartment building looks like it was evacuated in a hurry, broken doors littering the hallways and abandoned possessions look like they were dropped as soon as they showed themselves to be too heavy for what they were worth.  There are also posters slapped on the wall portraying a sinister looking "grey" alien, known as a Sectoid here, lurking in the shadows and the words "The Enemy Lurks Within" in big bold propaganda typeface.

It's once the scouting party gets to the third floor that a strange gurgling sound can be heard echoing in the hallways.

Those that remain outside will have just enough time to start differentiating the various noises that are coming from far off before a distinct humming sound echoes off the buildings.  Gaddez will be the first to spot the silver glint of Cyberdiscs hovering into the the area.  Shaped like small flying saucers, they move with unhurried purpose, the blue pulsing glow underneath hinting at an energy based countergrav drive allowing it to swim through the air.  But while Gaddez will be able to alert the others to the enemy's presence, it's Ren that has unknowingly placed himself in Overwatch, allowing him to instinctually fire off plasma rifle shots as soon as he has any line of sight.

((6 of Spades - no bonus, as it is not a shot that was expected to be taken.  Success with a cost))

The shots strike home on the lead Cyberdisc, causing it to wobble and momentarily lose control.  However, two drones immediately home in on the source of the shots and take off right for Ren.

Rhiann

• Second Class Poster
    • The World of Sau'du
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2015, 04:08:22 pm »

-- Apartment building, third floor --

Open doors have an interesting effect of both making some sounds non-directional and others stereoscopic. Of course, having the erect ears of a fox do help him to isolate and locate sounds to some extent. However, the gurgling sound is one of those essentially non-directional ones.

That said, Tracker has been glancing through each doorway as he passes, a quick flick of his ear letting him hear if there's any obvious life or other sound worth investigating. Additionally, if any windows are open due to intent or breakage, outside sounds would be louder through that apartment than others (assuming not all apartment windows are broken.) Unless distracted by outside noise, his approach to the gurgling sound slows and he triggers his bionic vision to a broader spectrum of vision, watching for heat and/or ultraviolet imagery overlying normal vision potentially out of place for the locale. (Things like black-light posters would glow brighter, urine stains would take on a blueish glow, etc. while heat sources would become more obvious if somewhat amorphous in shape.) As an added precaution, the sound implies a potential threat likely to be somewhat immune to physical attack, so he draws his 'laser' handgun and sets it to medium power and slightly broader beam.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 05:02:29 pm by Rhiann »

Will there be others?

Gaddez

• Forum Recruit
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2015, 10:22:02 pm »

Gaddez arches an eyebrow inside of his helmet at the sight of the oncoming cyberdiscs before swinging around the plasma machine gun of doom from the rubble he'd been moving to and begins hammering the damaged one with 4 shot burst; he wasn't entirely clear on what they could run into so for the time being he chooses to be prudent with how much ammo he is willing to dump on the oncoming monstrosity.

oO(not pulling any punches today are we xcom? Not floaters or thinmen, just straight to the heavy stuff.)

<< PC ALL: Focus fire on the discs with your primary weapon, They're more dangerous then the drones by a f***ing country mile.>>

((To clarify: I'm assuming we're dealing with two discs?  GM sez: Yes, 2 that you can see))
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 11:39:53 pm by Janus »

Kyle

• Forum Recruit
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2015, 01:58:02 am »

.oO( Oh, boy. I get to be a damage sponge if one of those goes down near me. Joy.) Zoey is holding that alloy cannon like it's the only thing between here and trouble.. Oh, wait it is. Anyway, as long as she can see one of the cyberdiscs she will take aim and shoot at it. If she can see them both whichever one is closest is getting all her attention.

She's not going to say anything on comms at present, busy destroying stuff. Attempting anyway.

Dathiel

• First Class Poster
  • ... Always Triumphs!
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2015, 12:17:27 am »

From what he read in the briefing Ren is pretty sure his psionic abilities won't work on machines. Taking Gaddez's advice he looks to see how much cover he has. The car seemed reliable enough for the moment. Not everyone has good cover and these things look like they move fast.

Ren uses a smoke grenade aiming it so the cloud gives Gaddez, Zoey, and himself a bit more cover. If he has time he'll also attempt to take a shot at one of the discs coming for the team.
Pages: [1] 2