Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Author Topic: This ain't Kansas and I ain't Dorothy (Closed)  (Read 1693 times)

Glennard

• Neutral Guest
This ain't Kansas and I ain't Dorothy (Closed)
« on: June 07, 2014, 09:25:06 am »

Metropolis city, big damn heroes all over the place up and down, left and right. Can't spit without hitting someone with powers, but then again, I don't think this is Metropolis city. At least, not anymore. For one it smells like horses and wood fires, burning hot steel and dirty feet. Where the hell am I? The man sat up slowly, bits of dried straw sticking out of his hat and coat as he checked himself over a few times, patted himself down and got to his feet with a grunt. His first order of business was to pat himself down for his smokes, didn't find them, perfect. Second order of business was, quite simply, to figure out just where here was, as he stumbled off with a hand on his head and a curled lip planted squarely on his face. Wherever here is, don't think they got any modern medical marvels like aspirin for headaches. More like leeches and drills.

The stranger wandered for awhile, with no real goal to aim for. At least it was a town, lots of people around meant he could likely get some information about his whereabouts, get some kind of feel for the land, unless he had been thrown back in time due to some kind of time travelling shenanigans. Was never good with history. Of course by the time he stopped a person, grabbed them by the shoulder and got them to turn around, he was already looking a bit irate. "Hey, buddy, what year is this and uh, where the hell am I?" His voice was croaky, dry and parched as he smacked his lips - god he could kill for a bottle of water right about now. The person he grabbed, unceremoniously gaining their attention in the process, stared at him for the longest of time, eyes blinking in disbelief at the strangers garb before opening their mouth to reply. "Well, you're in Elsir Vale, now if you'll excuse me I have to get moving, we're expecting an attack from an army of hobgoblins and I would like to make my way to Brindol before they arrive." The man pulled his arm free and carried on his marry, well, not so marry way and left the scruffy looking man to stand there in disbelief for a little while.

Hobgoblins, Elsir vale? now he wasn't a genius, but Ethan Hawke, yes that is is his name, didn't think he'd ever heard of any place like that in history text books. Or on the internet for that matter. Hobgoblins, Elsir Vale? I must have hit my head harder than I thought. Huh, wonder when Gandalf the white and his marry band of hobbits are gonna show up. Ethan already knew this was going to be a lot more trouble than he was used to, which for him was little to none, since he generally kept his head down all the time. But even now as the town emptied itself quickly, he found himself alone in Drellin's Ferry, not that any of these idiots felt the need to tell him that. So for all he knew it was generic town number something or other, which really made the agitation from the lack of sweet nicotine in his lungs and veins, a lot more compounded and this was generally the only time that pissing him off was even remotely possible.

So imagine his surprise when a literal company of three hundred some men marched into the town, burning and pillaging everything in their path. Unluckily for Ethan, that path included him on it as well, and imagine his annoyance when they set upon him with blades of steel and violent, brutish yells that would have very much sent those villagers running in terror. If they had chosen to stay. Then again, Ethan wasn't a commoner and that much was... made evident, when there was a loud snapping boom and the smell of burning flesh and metal filled the air. A tenth of their group dead, as the air seemed to crackle and fizzle with electricity. "Not even sure what you guys are, but eh, you definitely seem the hostile type. Actually, I'm not sure if you can even understand me or not. Not like it matters anyways, I'm in a bad mood. I don't have any smokes, these morons ran off without telling me anything and you decide to attack me? Bad idea."

Meanwhile at the Guardian outpost; Primary system.

What should have been a rudimentary day went a bit sideways with the report of an unknown Jaunt signature showing up in a Dungeons and dragons system, specifically the 3.5e edition showing up on a terminal. The on-duty ensign took one or two look at it and his face blanched slightly. "Aww damn, would it be asking too much for just one normal day with none of these disturbances. No? oh fine, uh hey Captain, we got a small problem in a Dee en Dee system, seems someone got their Homebrew superhero stuff in someone else's Magical high fantasy stuff."

The old salty looking man, to which the word crusty was a bit of an understatement, grunted and stared at the younger buzz cut sporting man and nodded. "Yeah yeah, I can see that. Looks like it's time to get some Guardians in on this before any permanent damage is caused." He coughed a few times into the sleeve of his coat before sending out a rather cut and dry emergency report on the situation at hand.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 09:38:09 am by Glennard »

Rhiann

• Second Class Poster
  • I'm a fox. Want to know more? Just ask.
    • The World of Sau'du
Re: This ain't Kansas and I ain't Dorothy (Open to three)
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 03:36:04 am »

(OOC: Rhiann volunteers to take on the mission as healer and close air support, if needed.)
Rhiann: Priestess of the Web and a powerful Telepath/telekinetic.
Tracker: Bionic fox from an 'alternate' Earth.
Dav: A Worgen (Werewolf) Shaman from the World of Warcraft

Will there be others?

Gaddez

• Forum Recruit
Re: This ain't Kansas and I ain't Dorothy (Open to three)
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 11:15:28 pm »

((I'll do this as Keith, my confedenceless pyrokinetic!))

Glennard

• Neutral Guest
Re: This ain't Kansas and I ain't Dorothy (open to three)
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 09:39:42 am »

(Just to keep the topic rolling along, I'm gonna say two is good for now. Someone else is always welcome to join if they can find a way to wiggle in. So y'all wanna pick it up?)

Rhiann

• Second Class Poster
    • The World of Sau'du
Re: This ain't Kansas and I ain't Dorothy (Closed)
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 05:26:55 am »

(( just waiting for the summons to a mission briefing ))

Will there be others?

Gaddez

• Forum Recruit
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 09:45:02 am »

((Allow me to go for some middle ground))
Briefing room

A wiry youth slipped into the room and took a seat near the back corner; The sort of seat that a commander overseeing a meeting or a bad ass loner trying to look like he was above the banal socializing that most people engage in. To keith though, the back corner was one which was the one that a childhood growing up in a city where anything could be sold (with no petty morality to impede the deal) was invariably the safest since it was closest to the door and allowed him to see people coming in without them being able to see him first. Time amongst the guardians hadn't yet dulled these instincts.

Instincts like this had led guardian authorities to discover that keith had a great deal of skill as a natural infiltrator; most of the Awares that made up the guardians rank and file had been heroes of one sort or another and were used to being movers and shakers of one sort or another. Which was great when the guardians needed something to do in a hurry, but they also tended towards a certain showiness that the young man from rifts earth lacked.

And if things turned ugly, His nature as a Burster (a Psychic warrior with phenomenal power over fire) meant that he could fight far more ferociously then his wall flower demeanor would suggest.

Quietly, he waited for the briefing to begin.

Glennard

• Neutral Guest
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 04:11:25 am »

Briefing room
The briefing room was mostly quiet, the grizzled looking captain standing idly by as he waited for others to arrive, scratched at the white flecks of stubble on his chin and cleared his throat. "...Just the one then? Well, alright then. I'm Captain Johnathan Walter Hess, weather it's a pleasure to meet you or not is still up in the air." He nodded to Keith, gray eyes squinting softly as he looked down at the report in front of him and began to speak. "Two hours ago, Zero nine hundred hours, we got a reports of an unidentified jaunting sig out in a Dungeons and dragons system. Homebrew super hero stuff, nothing too serious, I expect a little damage control to be in play here, since we're not dealing with some greenhorn meta. And try not to set anything that doesn't need to be set on fire Keith..." He mumbled under his breath, something about damned pyros and their penchant for collateral damage.

"If anyone else shows up, well, good for them I guess, you get to fill em in on the gist of what's going on over there. And there are some unconfirmed reports that he may be awakening so try not to deliver too much of a shock to his system. Or let him deliver one to you for that matter." Whatever that meant, only the old surly man knew. But as he drew his hands behind his back, he looked at Keith and yawned. "We're not exactly sure of the extent of this guy's strength, so take care."
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 04:16:25 am by Glennard »

Rhiann

• Second Class Poster
    • The World of Sau'du
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 05:23:02 pm »

The winged vixen pads in while Captain Hess is going through the synopsis. She cocks her head to the side as he makes the mission sound like a walk in the park, brows rising and ears pricking forward with the line, "nothing too serious".

"Excuse me, Captain," her voice interrupts from near the ceiling, "but do we have any idea of exactly who or what we might be looking for? Or will you be providing us with some form of tracking device to help us locate the target?"

Almost as an afterthought, she turns and looks directly at Keith as though she'd known all along he was hiding in the corner and nods her head.

"Oh," she adds, turning back to the captain, "and what restrictions on appearance and weapons, if any?"

Will there be others?

Glennard

• Neutral Guest
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 01:52:38 am »

The captain looked at the vixen and nods, one more to throw into the fire as he took a moment to think of the situation. "From my understanding he's from a homebrew teen titan d20 style game, player named him Ethan Hawke. Codenamed Livewire, the system is defunct now, guess they couldn't handle it for the most part. Anyways, he's not exactly the type to make an effort in fighting. Well, not always. Tends to mind his own business until someone makes his business their own. That's when things get dicey. 300 tenth level hobgoblin fighters, backed by several clerics of tiamat and a red dragon. The kid suffice to say, obliterated them all." He threw up a video of the before and aftermath, the battlefield littered with crushed steel balls, charred skeletons, a notable spark in the air and a large red figure skewered with numerous swords, spears, axes, even blacksmiths tools. "See those balls? Those are what's left of some of the hobgoblins, my guess is, they did something to really annoy him. Most likely they attacked him and he wasn't exactly in the best of moods."

This excursion would either be a walk in the park if done right, or an outright fuster cluck of a fiasco if done wrong, the man pulled out a pack of cigarettes from his pocket. Marlboro ice blast from the look of the package. "Might wanna take these if he's out of smokes, might make him more agreeable. As for equipment? Standard DnD fare will do, maybe some electricity resistant gear, going by his choice of attack, and none of it metal. He's not just an electrokinetic, he can manipulate metal as well." Again he took stock of the two in the room and slid the package of smokes across the table towards Rhiann.  "Oh and you'll need these."

Rhiann

• Second Class Poster
    • The World of Sau'du
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2014, 04:38:31 am »

"Sounds like my type of boy," a sultry voice purrs from the ceiling as she levitates the smokes into her hand--well, levitates it and snatches it from mid air. "With your permission, my bow and sharkblade should be the only weapons I need. I may be able to use some of my magical skills, too. As for his lightning, I guess I'll just hope he misses me. Then again, maybe I can short him out, hmmm?"

"I'll see you in the Jaunt Room, Keith?"

(Now how did she know his name?)

Will there be others?

Gaddez

• Forum Recruit
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2014, 11:46:23 pm »

Keith looks actually hurt when the Briefing officer tells him not to go crazy with his pyrokinetic abilities; the 17 year old from rifts earth may have been born as a living napalm strike but anyone who studied his profile would note that he seemed as terrified of them as anyone on the receiving end of his abilities would be. Aside from looking slightly crest fallen at the recrimination, he merely nods though; someone was giving him orders and he'd follow them.

When specifics come up though, Keith is already running the odds through his head. Hobgoblins weren't anything special, priests were dangerous sometimes, but a dragon? Those things were like gods in his system when they grew to adulthood, and even hatchlings could be real danger to the unwary.

Still though, Keith had fought Zappers before, and he'd found that when he cut lose his fire usually beat their lightning due to a curious side effect of his immunity to fire providing some resistance to electrical burns. Hopefully it didn't come to that though.

"Sounds good Mrs. Rhiann" Keith replied. Rhiann was one of the first guardians Keith had met at the outpost, and in a lot of ways the vixen was the perfect person to show him around due in no small part to the combination of her confidence, mastery of her own abilities and friendly demeanour. Hopefully the person they were being sent to talk to would appreciate those things without having to get violent.

When he arrives at the jaunt room, the young guardian will be wearing cloths suitable to the region they'd be travelling to along with a back pack holding his three techno-wizard tools; the cryo shotgun, the flashlight, and the light blade.

Glennard

• Neutral Guest
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2014, 09:57:00 am »

Elsir Vale; Drellin's ferry

The town was a nightmare, the stench of burnt flesh, dust and ash lingered in the air. It was a putrid smell, the smell of war and death and the indelible after bite of electricity that made the town a shadow of it's former beauty. This wasn't a simple tussle, anyone could see that, this was a one-sided, back alley curb stomp battle and the person involved, the lone person was nowhere to be seen. Wherever he was, he didn't get very far without leaving a trail of breadcrumbs to follow, up north and somewhat west, towards the main body of this army, with all their goblins and giants and dragons. Something wicked that way comes. "Too much trouble, just way too much trouble. Stuck in whatever the hell time this is, and even more trouble. because of some overgrown lizards. Let's go pay them a little visit, say hello and give them a list of my grievances."

Paying evil unto evil, if someone said that to Ethan two years ago he'd have brushed it off, but now the listless electro looked contemplative as his fingers surged and his flesh crawled with the veins of nature's electrical fury. Almost looked five years older and felt, quite literally, a lot more dangerous. If they want to ruin his day, he may as well oblige them right back cause it was time to put in a little elbow grease and effort into this fiasco.

Rhiann

• Second Class Poster
    • The World of Sau'du
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2014, 11:48:47 pm »

Rhiann -- Jaunt room

When Keith arrives in 'period' clothing, he notes the vixen apparently wearing nothing more than her tribal clothing, with an unusually long, oddly-shaped bow somehow strapped between her wings along with a quiver of wooden cloth-yard arrows. In one hand she somewhat idly spins an equally oddly shaped blade weapon that looks something like a simplified Klingon Bat'leth sword made out of a single piece of material. However, on closer observation you can tell that she's actually concentrating on the blade as she spins it from one hand to the other and back. Neither the bow, arrows nor blade appear to have any metal on them whatsoever.

As he steps through the door, she catches one of the grips and swings the blade to thump the other grip onto the floor, stopping its motion. She quickly takes in his choice of tools and nods.
"Maybe you don't really need to look quite so 'native' considering who we're looking for, but at the same time being too obviously out of a 'superhero' environment could have undesirable repercussions. Since we weren't ordered to use the holo-disguises and I look far less 'native' to the world we're going to than you, I'll either be flying at high enough altitude to avoid notice or hiding in the trees most of the time while you present our 'public' face. Ok? The advantage of flying high is that I'll likely spot our target before you can and guide you in. Then I can serve as 'Dust Off' to evacuate both you and the target if necessary and close air support if you get in trouble."
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 11:51:35 pm by Rhiann »

Will there be others?

Gaddez

• Forum Recruit
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2014, 06:15:53 pm »

Jaunt Room

Keith nods his head at Rhiann's comments; winged fox women weren't exactly common in the systems and there was that thing with how her voice came from over her head.

In System
...And that changes really quickly when they arrive in system near what looks like a battlefield. A quick glance at the bodies shows that at least some of them were burnt, so keith will do what he can to determine how old the fire or electricity was that caused these injuries. a practiced scavengers eye tells him something else as well: the horde of giants and goblins that had been flash fried were all on the same side, so unless they'd crushed their enemies under the sheer weight of the dead, whoever did this was still around.

And that was probably this "super hero".

So Keith did what ran counter to most of the survival instincts that his time on the streets of blackwater junction had taught him: pick up the trail of the man who had leveled this group, and get him out of the system.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 06:20:21 pm by Gaddez »