Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Land of a Billion Lights [Closed]  (Read 5764 times)

Ashla

• Second Class Poster
  • Rifts affiendo!
Re: Land of a Billion Lights [Closed RP]
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2014, 09:45:16 am »

Kicking the door shut with a foot gaddez will scramble for the kitchen, dragging Alicia if necessary. True, it might have been easier to simpler to make a break for the back door and make off through the neighbours yard, but that wouldn't change the fact that there were armed individuals coming in moments to end the life of his ward (and probably his own to boot).

So that meant taking out some of them at least before trying to make an escape, and to a super genius demolitions expert from rifts earth, a kitchen (with it's assorted chemicals) was a veritable arsenal. Digging into the area under the sink gaddez will grab as many chemicals as he can that have any of those useful labels that warn about flamability or explosive.

"Miss paige, I need you to keep down while I see what I can do about taking care of these A-holes. Feel free to grab the gun from my hip though; If they get past me then my long pistol will take them out. Also if you have any powers or abilities that are applicable to the situation that would be super helpful.

Outside, Devora briefly considers the situation. If these guys were amateurs, it was possible that she could get in close and make the use of their ranged weapons too dangerous (and her demonic heritage made her harder to kill then the slight frame she'd assumed would suggest), but if they were, then she'd be in trouble super fast. Better to go with the other route...

Succubi were erroneously assumed by most to be the skanks of demonkind; creatures that were just obsessed with getting laid all the time. The truth however, was that they were at there core seductresses and that sex was usually just the easiest way to seduce and manipulate a witless mortal. That didn't mean that they couldn't manipulate a human using other methods, make them see things they wanted to see or wanted to feel.

Raising her hands above her head in a sign of surrender, devora will keep her eyes darting between the men, letting a tear roll down her cheek and shaking even as she begins babbling "Please, Please don't shoot me! My boyfriend and I were just passing through the area and he sells houses and he said he thought that he had a good feeling about this house so he wanted to talk to them for a moment..."

In truth, devora wasn't scared to this degree. But if she was able to either distract some of them for a few more moments to give gaddez time to pull a rabbit out of a hat or get them to dismiss her as a threat so that she'd be able to take them by surprise then a moment of debasement before the goons was worth her while.

Dathiel

• First Class Poster
  • ... Always Triumphs!
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2014, 02:00:46 am »

Inside
The kitchen has the man who answered the door from earlier dead on the floor. The kitchen is also in front of the house, the first wave of bullets tore through the front wall, but the chemicals appear mostly intact.

Aside from the door to the garage area that he came in through, there’s another hallway leading to the front door, and a quick glance says the living room is through there.

However Gaddez is assuming a lot. When he lets go of Alicia and offers up his gun he doesn’t hear anything. Alicia doesn’t even grab the offered gun. When Gaddez finally takes his eyes off the chemicals he’ll notice Alicia has taken the whole ‘keep down’ aspect of what he said seriously. She is nowhere in sight.

Outside
At first it looks as if Devora is in luck, all three men are distracted by the sudden appearance of an attractive human woman begging for mercy.

That’s when the van off to her left shouts in alarm. Devora can hear something smash, glass maybe? And Flames erupt from the van as people rapidly dive for cover. Bullets take down two of the van people before Devora realizes the shots must have come the parking lot behind her. Unfortunately she can’t look behind her and deal with the suddenly hostile idiots right in front of her at the same time and they are opening fire.

Ashla

• Second Class Poster
  • Rifts affiendo!
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2014, 05:52:30 am »

Tuning his amplified hearing to try and track sounds of breathing or movement Gaddez will move towards the living room after grabbing a bottle of floor cleaner with a flammable warning emblazoned on it's side.

So far the situation had gone badly sideways. Alicia was running scared, he hadn't had a chance to earn her trust and there was a gang of thugs outside who were seperating him from his partner. Oh, and he didn't have his backpack so that meant the lions share of his weaponry was still back at the outpost... aside from one of his long pistols which while almost assuredly capable of atomizing the sloppy mooks out front, would probably still have enough residual power to tear through the house across the street. Oh, and the things the Scribe had told the idiots he'd employed not to do (killing innocent bystanders) had been done in the first 2 minutes of this job.

"Alicia you have to listen to me: there's a crap ton of people who are going to be coming after you today and it's my job to keep you safe until Nicholas comes to take you off my hands. And the reason you can trust me is because the only thing the scribe could buy me off with is the opportunity to beat his stupid face in with the chalice.

Devora doesn't know whether the people attacking the van were local toughs responding to the drive by or a fresh batch of assassins but either way the time for subtlety is past.

Leaping forward with preternatural speed devora reverts to her demonic form (Still passably human for the most part, aside from the digitigrade legs ending in cloven hooves, draconic wings coming from her back, sharp teeth, pronghorns and serrtated claws... scratch that she looks like she crawled out of a 14 year old sexual deviant's nightmare) she tries to position herself so that she is only facing one of the would be assassins while trying to knock his wrist weapon wide. If she has time she'll thrust her hand straight at his throat with intention of burying her claws in his trachea.

Dathiel

• First Class Poster
  • ... Always Triumphs!
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2014, 10:58:17 pm »

Inside
When Gaddez tunes his hearing, he’ll more than notice the sudden explosions outside. Listening a moment longer he’ll hear the following:

”Identification complete. Gaddez Darkmoor, Gaming Guardian, unknown associate outside but I also assume she’s a Guardian. I already said ‘Hi’ to our unauthorized guests but Allie you should not run around recklessly in the middle of a fire fight.”
“What was I supposed to do?” comes a hushed response. “He tried to give me a gun.”
“You should have taken it.” Comes the entirely reasonable response.

Also, the dead roommate on the floor? The annoying guy that answered the door? While he is still quite dead it doesn’t stop him from getting up again.

“Lordy that hurts!” Though Gaddez did just leave the kitchen he can see clearly the annoying roommate get up and start digging out the bullet that was lodged in his skull. “Arty, get your ass over here. He mentioned Nick.”

On the other side of the living room, where doors to bedrooms seem to be - pops out a short brunette woman in a red t-shirt and black jeans, behind her is Alicia (still in her employee uniform).  In her hands is a short cylindrical object, and she is pointing it at Gaddez, more than likely a weapon of some sort.

“Swallow the bullet Madz, we need a corpse for police, DB will send retrieval afterwards, you’ll remain to contact Nick, and any Guardians when they arrive. Explain the situation and warn against further involvement from both agencies.” At her command the walking corpse nods, stops digging at the bullet and lays back down.

“You owe me coffee.” Comes the grumpy response.

“I am the Bow of Artemis, Official Designation Abyssal Dragoon AI model GRA 121, Serial number XMC-10599 Galaxy Class Warship avatar. You may call me Arty. I intend to take Allie and walk out of here through the car port exit. I can only assume that since you tried to warn her, are a Guardian, and you know about Nick that you are here to help so I will only ask this once; your file says you are from Rifts Earth, if you have a shield generator of any kind I recommend you give it to Allie until we successfully evacuate this house. According to enemy chatter you’re… friend outside has approximately 3 minutes before she is overwhelmed by enemy reinforcements.”

Outside
The wrist weapon is knocked wide as more explosions assault the front yard. Devora may note that none of the explosions actually came close to hitting her, but more aimed at the van and the attackers. After a moment the explosions stop, along with the gun shots from the parking lot’s direction.

Devora more than manages to bury her claws into one man’s trachea, but one of the other two men gets a lucky shot at her.

She can, for the briefest moment, feel every muscle in her body freeze up solid. The other two men use this moment to back away and out of her reach and raise their weapons again. However… she is a demon and the effect of the gun has already started wearing off, sooner than it looks like they were anticipating.

Ashla

• Second Class Poster
  • Rifts affiendo!
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2014, 08:31:17 pm »

Well this was interesting. Apparently Allie was living in a safehouse and at least one of her two companions was an AI with a gun pointed at him who was attempting to divest him of his trademark naruni force field generator. Which lead to the unfortunate sticking point of the situation: He was being threatened into doing something that he was going to do originally.

"Artie, If you've had access to my files you may have noticed that there is a note in my psychology section that is triple underlined about how I don't exhibit signs of fear, so I'd suggest you lower your weapon before I start getting irritated by it."

After giving her a second to respond Gaddez will carefully remove the harness he is wearing and offers it to Allie. "It's activated by squeezing the belt buckle, and provides you with a crap ton of protection of protection against any fast moving objects; an Abrams tank couldn't penetrate it. Flip side is that it needs time to recharge at a rate of 2:1, it won't protect you from environmental factors (heat, cold, gas, drowning), can be active for up to an hour and won't nullify kinetic energy fully so don't go diving in front of a car unless you want to see what rag doll physics feels like.

"Also: If the jack asses outside were able to identify your house this fast, what makes you think think they won't recognize your car of choice?"

Under other circumstances Devora might have pressed the fight further (partially because the inherent carnage of violence was attractive to her demonic nature the way a patch of sunlight was to a cat and partially because she'd been shot), but it was rapidly turning into amateur hour out front and she'd be damned if she was going to get stuck between two groups of idiots (one of whom was armed with some sort of explosive weapon).

Pushing the (presumably) dying goon into his fellows, Devora will simultaneously leap and snap her wings to try and carry herself to the top of the car port where she can take stock of her injuries and survey the battlefield to see who all was involved in the fight. As an aside, her perch would give her a place to strike from if the would be assassins made for the door. Assuming of course, they weren't smart enough to simply shoot through the carport's roof to get at her.

Dathiel

• First Class Poster
  • ... Always Triumphs!
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2014, 02:30:42 pm »

Inside
“Argosy Special Operations rule number one: If your mother says she loves you…verify it. Your response is within the parameters of your psyche profile.” Artie smiles in forced politeness as she points the weapon away from Gaddez “Pleasure to make your acquaintance.”

Allie takes the shield with a somewhat sheepish look on her face, but listens on how to turn it on and wastes no time doing so.

Artie listens to Gaddez and smiles at the bit about the car.

“We don’t have transportation. Budget for this…mission did not include a vehicle. The car port has a few dilapidated vehicles, all of which have explosives that can be activated at any time to give the fire and police departments something other to do than chase us in the event of a crises. I cannot detonate the explosives with your friend so close to the car port. As for ways out of here we could try and go downtown, but when they break out the big guns we’ll be in downtown Los Angeles and the death toll will only climb. I recommend we go to the beach, steal a boat and pick terrain where my sensors will be able to detect them before they even think about arriving. Our other option is to outright head for the desert, but I’m afraid Gaddez is right. This place was compromised rather quickly so the safehouse in the desert may be compromised already. I would not recommend taking a civilian out there with no safehouse. At least with a boat we could dock anywhere along the coast for supplies. Speaking of supplies…” Artie takes a moment to disappear into a room and comes out with a backpack, she promptly hands it over to Alicia.

“What does Bethany say?” Artie asks Alicia after a moment.
“Only to get out of here with my head intact. I’m afraid Scribes aren’t really meant for the front line.” Allie says this while putting the backpack on.
“Very well, what do you say?” Artie glances at Gaddez, but she has this look that says she’s already making guesses about what that might be.

Outside
The carport roof is flat. It’s also not all that stable.

One of the new arrivals lays down suppressing fire along the edge of the carport that is facing the street, a wall of bullets approaches from that direction and the small lip of the roof will not give much cover.

Upon realizing the carport roof is flat; Devora will see three grenades get tossed on top along with her.

This place is getting swarmed.

Ashla

• Second Class Poster
  • Rifts affiendo!
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2014, 07:25:01 pm »

Gaddez Closes his eyes and thinks the options over for a second before weighing in on the tactical options that were present.

"I'm given to understand that the assassins are limited by certain factors: they can't cause collaterol damage and they can't be too obvious with their attempts. If we make a bee line out of the city to some place more isolated we're probably going to allow them to bring in *more* firepower and troops then we can respond to, particularly since the payment the scribe is offering for allie's life is a god dam unlimited wish.

"So for the time being we find crowded places and we keep moving around the town. Malls, tour busses, studios, disney land all make for great places for us to hide. If we can catch one of our assailants while doing so then that's great since we can pump him for information."

"By the way: you wouldn't happen to have a spare firearm about would you?"

Devora sees the grenades landing on the roof and wastes no time sprinting and diving for the door gaddez ran through. Part of her briefly considers the implication of a woman with cloven hooves and horns striding into the house but that's only a small voice; much more pressing was her need to get away from the ongoing swarm of explosions and energy blasts that (demonic resiliance or no) could kill her in short order.

On the plus side: the goons had 3 less grenades.

Once inside she'll call into the room "Gaddez if you have the girl then we are leaving."

Dathiel

• First Class Poster
  • ... Always Triumphs!
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2014, 04:17:05 pm »

Inside
“The war zone outside is supposed to not be obvious?” Artie shakes her head. She also analyzes Gaddez’s plan, and seeing as how he seems to be working with relatively recent information she agrees to his plan.

Upon being asked for a spare firearm Artie laughs awkwardly.
“The official answer is ‘no’. Technically I’m not even allowed to have my force lance, I had to smuggle that in, and I’m glad I did.” She nudges Madz with the toe of her sneaker. “What about you?”

“I obeyed orders. Unlike you I only feel naked when I’m actually naked and not when I’m not armed to the teeth.” Artie kicks the zombie for that.

When Devora calls for the immediate retreat Artie nods.

“Tell your demon to shapeshift back to a human form, I’ll draw fire, Allie you go with Gaddez and don’t be afraid to use him and his cohort as human shields. I’ll rendezvous when I have shaken my pursuers.”

Allie nods, and gets ready to make a run for it.

Outside
A storm of smart-bullets fly from Artie’s force-lance catching more than a few people of guard, when the grenades come flying at her she kicks them back with super human speed… going around to the front of the house she tries to grab attention away from the car port.

Ashla

• Second Class Poster
  • Rifts affiendo!
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2014, 05:42:24 pm »

Hours before...
"So why is it that you don't want us to sign up as guardians?" Devora asked as she and gaddez walked down the hallway.
"It's better that you are classified as guests then greenshirts these days."
"You have no faith in your organization?"
"Not quite. The scribe and others have been gleaning secrets from us for some time, and I've tken steps to ensure that you and your comrades are kept hidden."
"How?"
"I put a challenge to philor, the head of clerical; that he couldn't hide the existance of a small group of Guests from himself. As a paperwork demon, he couldn't resist a challenge, particularly when I offered him a reward if he succeeded."
"But if he succeeded, then you'd have to pay up to what I'm given is a powerful and vaguely malevolent demon.
"Simple, philor can't claim the reward without admitting defeat.

Present...
Devoras lips curled revealing sharp teeth back at artie's inadvertent suggestion that she was gaddez's property but does take the time to reform herself so that she appears human; too bad the clothes still have signs of damage from the scuffle out front.

As soon as the door opens gaddez's eyes and ears begin pulling in information from the environment and rapidly assessing the situation; people, weapons, explosions, firing trajectories, points of cover, civilians, vehicles, buildings on the street, the booby trapped carport... all of it is organized in seconds by his big brain and the guardian begins running for the other side of the street while eyeing any threats that might get too close to his intended escape route.

"Remember, squeeze the belt! Devora you cover our asses!"

Dathiel

• First Class Poster
  • ... Always Triumphs!
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2014, 04:01:53 pm »

Allie activates the shield with no problem and says nothing as she follows tightly behind Gaddez. Devora covers the rear.

Artie does a handy job of clearing the field, and all eyes leave Gaddez’z group with a well-timed explosion in the car port – though not a big gas fireball like you’d see on t.v. the explosion is loud enough to break every window in the neighborhood. Artie sees which direction Gaddez is heading and starts moving in the opposite direction as soon as Gaddez reaches the buildings across the street.

Sirens can be heard in the distance.

The network of houses in this area are all low to the ground and jammed tightly together. A smattering of a few alleys  can be seen but most are not big enough to fit a car – and most exits from the alley lead to more houses. If you were to travel in a straight line you’d reach Pacific Avenue. Up Pacific ave are countless bus stops and a Beach station where bikes could be rented. On the other side of Pacific up s. Venice blvd is a small public canal park.

Gaddez may note there are a few people getting out of the neighborhood on foot. With people slowly filing out of the hhomes the alleys are going to get crowded fast.

On the plus side it will make spotting Alicia harder, on the negative side it will slow you down.

Ashla

• Second Class Poster
  • Rifts affiendo!
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2014, 08:39:51 pm »

Wordlessly, gaddez slips into the crowd and does his best to just go with the flow; it's slow going but without a clear destination in mind speed was of far less value to the orc then stealth. As he does so, he carefully considers his options.

At present, he had a flammable cleaning agent, a quartet of cuban cigars, some matches, his coat, the ring that made him pass for human, one of his long pistols (with 8 shots and no extra clips), a piece of ID identifying him as a guardian, his comm device, about $80 in cash and his guardian expense debit card which he could probably pull a few more grand with.

The first two thoughts that come to him are to either bring in more support from the guardians and/or to get his backpack. Both options would give him more tactical options, but if any of the would be assassins were able to track jaunt activity, then he would be just giving away his position. The debit card would be a little better, but not by much.

Best to only use the first two options if he had no other choice.

"Allie, do you have any friends we could visit in town, preferably ones that are away from things that are exploding?" He asks while slowly working his way towards the canal district.

Dathiel

• First Class Poster
  • ... Always Triumphs!
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2014, 03:50:35 pm »

“I’m a student. Most my friends are at UCLA. I work a gas station job in my spare time, my friends usually boil down to Nick, Madz, and Artie. Nick is missing, I guess Madz is supposed to be dead now and Artie is out there raising hell.” She says this all with a low tone that almost gets lost in the noise of the crowd.

“You said something earlier about malls and tour buses.  L.A. has plenty of those, but most close at nine. That gives us a few hours.” She checks her watch seeing that the time is a quarter to six.

People continue to flood the area, but the call of sirens magically starts dispersing the crowd. The police and the fire departments are moments from arriving. The gun fire has stopped.

Ashla

• Second Class Poster
  • Rifts affiendo!
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2014, 06:19:59 pm »

((Very sorry for lateness and brevity))

"Only reason I was asking about friends of yours is in hopes that one would have a car that we could borrow. We'll just have to make do with public and nike express."

Turning onto the street, gaddez reverses his initial throught about heading for the canals and instead begins heading for the beach where the busses and crowd can be found. Hopefully he and his friends can get onto a bus headed for the downtown, since none of them were dressed for hanging out at the beach and would stand out like sore thumbs.

"So, how did you wind up getting mixed up in all this in the first place?"

Dathiel

• First Class Poster
  • ... Always Triumphs!
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2014, 02:16:50 pm »

There are few roads towards the beach, and while videos and tv shows love to depict the beach as 27/7 party time there are a lot of people taking short cuts along the boardwalk heading home. Gaddez and Alicia won't stand out as badly as he fears, at least not at this time of day.

Along the boardwalk are several shops, and more than a handful of tourist groups encouraged to spend money at the overpriced shops before buses take them back to hotels. Following the train of people and blending in at the moment seems easy enough.

"You don't know why they are after me?" Allie goes pale - a considerable feat considering her complexion. "A couple months back I get a delivery from my dearly departed Aunt Bethany from New Orleans. Except I have no Aunt. No family. Certainly no reason to turn down a package that was left to me by name. I can't tell you what was inside only that soon after Nick entered my life. Soon I was being trained." Allie shoves her hands in her pockets and makes an admirable attempt to look calm and composed despite having who-knows-what after her now.

"Nick and Bethany are teaching me how to become a Scribe. Artie - The Bow of Artemis; her organization is looking for a way to disrupt the grip the current Scribe has over the Chaliceborn and that means they need a Scribe to deal with some chalice. Nick won't tell me more than that but I'm not stupid. It sounds like war."

"So in between my training and school I have just enough time in a day to work a crappy job and not starve to death. That's how I became involved in all of this."

((OOC: I am still without internet I am using Starbucks Net to post this. So sorry guys.))

Ashla

• Second Class Poster
  • Rifts affiendo!
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2014, 12:00:30 am »

Gaddez snorts as he comes to a bench near a bus stop and motions for Allie and Devora to have a seat beside him. "What I know is that this morning I was offered an opportunity to get some information on the chaliceborn, the chalice and/or the scribe if I was willing to go and meet a contact in a system. When I got there, I learned that I had a time sensitive mission involving bodyguard work for a VIP lined up for me. And that takes me more or less to the moment when I was on your doorstep with Devora.

"It's funny that you mention replacing the scribe; I figured that was the only way we were going to get to stop the guy since the chaliceborn are apparently immortal and I have no idea what the consequences of taking out the chalice itself would be (if that's even possible). Only catch with that right now is that my people don't know where the hell he is otherwise I'd be taking the fight right to his doorstep and leaving lovely ladies like yourself out of all this."

He pauses for a moment before continuing.

"I'm curious about something else though... does Bethany ever talk about everwish?"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4