Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: With Sleep Oppress'd (Closed) (COMPLETE)  (Read 5533 times)

Kyle

• Forum Recruit
Re: With Sleep Oppress'd (Closed)
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2013, 06:42:04 pm »

Reg dropping onto the platform with them doesn't elicit a visible response from Zoey. Seeing the former Shadowrun denizen get injured  barely gets a twitch.

Realizing the shadow that is explaining he meant to kill the mutant rather than just maiming him is...or at least was.. her son... Tybalt gets treated to hearing Zoey's composure crumble with a soft wail and he can almost hear her emotionless mask crack as she falls apart. The next thing she says is a horrified, pain-filled whisper. "Alaric.." It's just as well for everyone on the platform with her that she's been CMed with whatever device this is or they'd all be deafened by the screaming inside her head.

((This thread is the thread of one missed word for me I swear.))
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 06:48:40 pm by Kyle »
Just because you're blonde and from California doesn't mean you have big breasts and live at the beach ~Mia

NerdyCanuck

• Global Moderator
  • Board Head
  • GDH Admin/Rehab
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2013, 02:45:53 pm »

Much like with Zoey, the appearance and impaling of Reg does little to phase Tybalt. Though he knew the mutant to be a Guardian, Tybalt had seen and dealt out enough death in his lifetime to find that a little maiming wasn't difficult to swallow. No, his difficulty came moments later when the shadowy spike formed itself into a person he knew, or rather into that person's visage. What the sight of that did to Zoey tore at what little heart he actually still had.

Surprisingly, he kept his wits about him just then. Tybalt wasn't normally one given to such logic, but there were times when his sheer stubbornness allowed him more clarity than he might otherwise have had. "You can't be Alaric." He snarls, his voice confident of the truth it spoke. Should blood from his nose dribble down onto his lips, he'll spit it off to the side before continuing, "This is dream. Alaric doesn't exist yet, saukerl."

What he says next takes the form of a question. A wet, blood-filled question, "What's the point of all this?" It was difficult to keep his wits about him and ask what needed asking; the Beast within Tybalt, though suppressed by the odd conversion-matrix shackles around his wrists, wanted nothing more than to lash out and tear into things.

Perhaps this being partly human thing was useful after all...

OOC: Oops. Used oppressed instead of suppressed. >_>
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 05:44:11 pm by Faye »

Sage R.

• Junior Grade Poster
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2013, 04:08:59 pm »

"Don't spoil the narrative, scheissfleck."

It came out of Alaric's mouth, but (ignoring that the shadow is standing there with a shadowrunner hanging from his spiked forearm) he doesn't seem like anything is at all the matter, like he isn't even aware he said it. Or that if he did say it, he thought he was saying something entirely different, like how nice the weather is. He offers his mother a sad, gentle smile as he lowers his arm and lets Reg slide to the floor, much to the mutant's chagrin. "Don't be upset, mom. It's okay. I'm still gonna kill him, see? And then we can get on with our lives."

It's at this point that they might notice both Alaric and Reg have the same bluetooth-like devices on their heads as the silent false Diruses do. That will take second place in the list of priorities over Reg's scream as Alaric picks the Brit up by the leg wound with one hand, and forms a new spike with the other. His expression hardens, the smile is gone, replaced by grim determination. "Let's get this right this time. I'll even be the bigger man and let you have some last words."

Reg doesn't make a sound, just scowling at Alaric, and the shadow sighs. "I tried to be fair. I'll make sure to send your heart to your beloved." The blood spray is a lot less impressive than movies would lead one to believe, since it's not a gunshot, just a single powerful stab. Alaric looks thoughtfully at Reg's face as he drops the body and kicks it aside. "'Course, it'll have to be cut up pretty small so they all get a fair share."

Grisly business done, the big wall of a shadowkin once again has only hands at the ends of his arms, and both of those arms wrap around Zoey in a crushing bearhug of pure son-to-mom happiness. "I told you I'd save you! You and Uncle Tybalt!"
The Human
The Dragon

I'm chiefly an IRCer, but I dabble in the forums on occasion.

Kyle

• Forum Recruit
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2013, 10:27:58 am »

Zoey, like her son, doesn't seem aware of what he says to Tybalt. She certainly doesn't react to it. She also doesn't react fast enough to even try stopping the slaughter of someone she knows in the non-nightmare present.

At least part of her slow reaction time can be blamed on shock after shock. It's a bit of a wonder she's still standing under her own power, and noticing the devices on both Alaric and Reg merely adds another layer of confusion and no little fear to the mix.

Zoey's confusion is only made worse by the (likely literally) crushing hug, if he's really hugging her all that tightly her ribs will crack under the strain.. She's just not sturdy enough for an unrestrained hug from a shadow right now.

"Save us? From what?" She whispers, her tone conveying a large helping of her befuddlement, and possibly pain.
Just because you're blonde and from California doesn't mean you have big breasts and live at the beach ~Mia

NerdyCanuck

• Global Moderator
  • Board Head
  • GDH Admin/Rehab
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2013, 01:25:49 am »

That Alaric seemed to speak and yet was unawares that he did so set off alarms within the Brujah. The voice and its tone reminded him of past dreams, though he couldn't put a finger on what had been said before. All he knew was that this was a voice not only of opposition, but likely the mastermind behind all this. As such, he snarls viciously. "I don't care about narrative. Stop this. Now."

It was at this point that Tybalt looked more closely at what was transpiring with Alaric and Reg. Knowing with certainty what this was, not to mention his own inner nature, he doesn't move a muscle at the grotesque display. Rather, he growls and stares daggers at his supposed nephew. The scent of blood (that didn't belong to him) that was now in the air would be ignored as best as it could, though given his present state and temperament...

"There is no saving us here, not by figment." Tybalt addresses Zoey, not the nephew that wasn't. Alaric isn't exactly ignored, but there were bigger fish to fry just then,"You love this boy, Zoey. I know I do too, in this dream world, but you have to wake up now. We both have to wake up! We need out." For his part, Tybalt does not follow his own advice and simply try to wake himself up; he wasn't about to do that until Zoey gave some sign that she understood.

Sage R.

• Junior Grade Poster
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2013, 01:48:23 pm »

Tybalt might be surprised when Alaric totally fails to respond to him, but then, he might not. Alaric stands back at arms' length from Zoey and frowns at her question, though. "... oh, mom..." Then he shakes his head and the smile returns to his face, though it's a little sad now, and he points at one of the dozens of monitors. "From that, for starters." The smoke and fire on-screen have cleared for the moment, revealing the wreckage of the Guardian's Outpost. There are still small pockets are fighting here and there, judging by the tinier flashes of light, but it seems to be nearly over but for the mass gravedigging.

The gold-eyed shadow then looks to Tybalt, still smiling. "You're right. We should go before it gets busier again." Only the Brujah is likely to notice the little twitch at the corner of Alaric's mouth just then, right before the shadowkin youth turns, walks to one of the consoles in the room and hits a button. "Helmsman, we're done here. Take us home."

The answer that comes back is a clipped, mechanical and wholly non-comforting, "By your command, Lord."
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 06:03:13 pm by Sage R. »
The Human
The Dragon

Kyle

• Forum Recruit
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2013, 06:24:18 am »

Zoey has apparently hit critical mass for nasty shocks, barely blinking at the Outpost wreckage... Or maybe she was actually expecting it. Regardless her reaction to it is surprisingly non-existent.

She'll try tugging against the grip of the guardirus, following the golden-eyed shadow that is supposedly her son if she can. Tybalt's words elicit an unhappy look and the response. "If I knew how to wake up I wouldn't still be in this." Then she's addressing the (frighteningly) apparent lord of at the very least the ship they're trapped on. "Explain this to me Alaric? I don't understand what's happening..." The pleading tone is real enough, the question just doesn't cover everything she wants to know by a long shot.

In truth she'll be surprised if she even gets a real answer. "I feel as though I have gone from dreaming, to a nightmare."

NerdyCanuck

• Global Moderator
  • Board Head
  • GDH Admin/Rehab
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2013, 03:02:03 pm »

Tybalt probably shouldn't have expected a different look and answer, but then again this was his first time (to his knowledge) being aware that he was in one such dream. To him, trying to wake up was really only the most logical solution to this even if he was wrong, even if he himself wasn't sure it was really possible. He had to try but not yet, not without Zoey.

The sight on the monitors is horrifying. Tybalt can't help but be reminded again of his past and for an instant, he's back in 1930s Germany. The sights are the same. The smells. The death and graves and horror. For the moment, he forgets that he's trapped in a dream, on a ship with a nephew that didn't exist yet, controlled in some fashion by a demon beyond his comprehension.

When that finally passes, the Brujah wears a look of slight horror on his face. Mixed with that is the deepest of shame, though he's quick to mask his expression with a clearly pissed-off frown. oO(...seeing the Outpost must have triggered...but I...) And then there it is, that barely perceptible twitch on Alaric's face. Tybalt opens his mouth to say something but the words escape him.

At this point, what is there to say? He was at a loss and so he turned to something that often wasn't his chosen course of action: thought. oO(These dreams ended before. They...) His eyes widen as a thought occurs to him, oO(But never without help. There was something...someone that helped counter influence of demon. Like Dirus only without...bluetooth.)

And quite suddenly, Tybalt was very interested in those bluetooth-like devices on the side of all the Shadowkin's heads.

Sage R.

• Junior Grade Poster
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2013, 03:53:14 pm »

Alaric doesn't turn away from the console, now tapping away at keys with the rapidity of a gently-clicking machine gun. "Uncle Tybalt can at least appreciate it; your memory always decides to crap out at the time when it can suck all the joy right out of an achievement, mom." He sighs, looking up at the screens closest to his head, still typing. "Once again, from the top: The Guardians are officially done with. There might be a few members still alive or on the run--I'd be pretty disappointed if there weren't already a few gearing up for a counterattack--but they won't amount to much. They never did anyway, but with their commander, their sergeants, their best artificers, all dead or part of my new D'twenty now? Pfft."

The guardirus simply ... watch, holding their captives, and if either of them was the 'real' one, nobody would ever know. The faces are blank, barely even there anymore for the lack of physical features and the total lack of emotion to make those few features stand out. The little bluetooth-like devices--Alaric's too, as well as Reg's, even though he's quite dead by now--share the same colored glow as the hollow shadows' eyes. And still Alaric types away as the ship shudders and then, with a low, almost pleasant hum from somewhere far below and behind, lurches forward and into Jauntspace.

"It's a real shame dad couldn't be here to see it all come to fruition." If his tone could be equated to any sound not found in human vocal cords, it would be that of a bootheel grinding something into the pavement. "He makes a good soldier, though." Zoey probably never expected any child of hers to laugh the kind of laugh that comes out of his mouth, all nastiness and spite.

On the screens that still show the activities at the ruined Outpost, the view zooms in on the non-giant-mecha contingent of the D'Twenty: dozens upon dozens of armed and armored Dirus, hunting down survivors with no interest whatsoever in taking prisoners.
The Human
The Dragon

Kyle

• Forum Recruit
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2013, 04:17:34 pm »

It is probably just as well Zoey can't get free of the guarding shadow as slapping Alaric would hardly do any good. However she's still got a voice. "You aren't my son. I would never raise you too be such a monster." If they are being held side-by-side Zoey will touch Tybalt's arm to gain his attention, wait for the Brujah to look at her and mouth the words 'I'm sorry'.

And then the movement on one of the screens zooming in catches her eye and she's faced with a new vision of horror as the army of Dirus pours after survivors. "...what have you done?" Her voice is barely more than a whisper.

NerdyCanuck

• Global Moderator
  • Board Head
  • GDH Admin/Rehab
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2013, 04:54:39 pm »

He might have snarled at comment about memories, but Zoey's touch silences him instantly. Instead, he looks over at her and shakes his head. To him, there was nothing she needed to apologize for, though by the look on his face it should be clear that he appreciates her gesture. At least there was one bit of positiveness in all this horror.

Bluetooths. D'Twenty. Even with his limited knowledge of Guardian enemies, Tybalt knew well enough to make the connection. That this Shadowkin, this false nephew was supposedly their leader struck him as odd at first, though the more he thought of it, the more he remembered past dream events.

The initial attack on the Outpost. Everything that happened since then. oO(If he was involved from the start in everything that happened in these dreams, then demon is...could he be trying to scare Zoey and Dirus away from having a child? Why would he even give a damn?) For all he knew, his thoughts were completely out in left field. It didn't matter just then, for Alaric 'kindly' began zooming in on one of the monitors.

An army. Of Dirus'. "What is...? Why?!"

Sage R.

• Junior Grade Poster
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2013, 05:34:06 pm »

Alaric's head whips around so fast it'd be a wonder his neck didn't snap, if he had bones to worry about. The golden eyes are narrow, the lip is curled sharply to bare the bright-white teeth as he turns to fully face his captive family. "I'm every ounce your son. You raised me to be everything I am, mom, and I couldn't be more proud of that. Dad tried to teach me to be something I had no interest in becoming: a sad, contented little waste of space just like him."

He reaches up and touches the bluetooth thing on his head, and the Dirus holding Zoey releases her, approaching Alaric. The younger shadowkin regards the falsified elder one with undisguised contempt now. "You gave me the names of KINGS! You gave me the powers of GODS! And you wanted me to be a... a fucking workman?!" His hand melts into a thin spade shape, and he unceremoniously cuts off the soldier's head. By the time it hits the ground, the false Dirus has melted into the floor and resembles nothing so much as a big inkstain. Now, Alaric's attention is fully on Zoey and Tybalt again.

"And all around me, people who were fine with being less than human! Less than the quivering blobs of meat and bile that created them to escape their own miserable little realities! Even my uncle, my cousins, my siblings, my own mother!" A finger comes up and stabs toward her face, not a blade, but it sure feels like one, even though he doesn't touch her. "You should have been ruling over a small country of the little talking pigs, but there you were, willingly cowed and happy for whatever scraps of dignity the Guardians could be bothered to feed you! And Dad--Dirus encouraged it! He helped you come to terms with being second-class!"

Now the finger comes around to Tybalt. "You of all people should be able to understand, Scharführer Kruspe! The lesser rule the greater and we let them and we learn to like it! Well no more! Why did I do it? TO FREE US!"

And as Alaric's mad eyes settle on the remaining Dirus in the room, the black pool on the floor sighs sadly. "He is stronger this time... and I am weaker yet... what gift must you refuse?..."
The Human
The Dragon

Kyle

• Forum Recruit
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2013, 06:22:16 pm »

Zoey doesn't move when she's released, flinching like she's been slapped as the false Dirus loses his head. She flinches again as 'Alaric' continues to rant and points at her so accusingly. "We don't need to rule to be happy.." And then the other voice from past nightmares speaks and she actually takes a step back, losing what little color had returned to her face.

She looks from the golden eyed shadow to the puddle on the floor, jaw clenching and tears springing to her eyes as she looks up at the mad, ranting shadow. "You are not mine." Her tone is one of quiet certainty and rejection.

NerdyCanuck

• Global Moderator
  • Board Head
  • GDH Admin/Rehab
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2013, 07:12:45 pm »

"You are not hers." He echoes, his voice quiet but with an underlying hostility. "And this thought of family you have? That you claim I'm part of? I don't want it. Is not mine; I don't belong to you, or Dirus, or even Zoey. Not like this." He looks over at Zoey, spies her tears and hopes she understands his meaning, "Not yet." Once again and despite the lessons taught to him earlier, he struggles again against his bonds.

"And you won't scare me away from them, ficker. I won't run, not again! You know, is funny you mention my old rank. Scharführer." He spits as he says the name, "I didn't have it for long. By the time I got it I was ready to leave. And I did but I ran and then I kept running and I did nothing to help anyone. Not this time. I won't run. I'm sticking with Zoey and Dirus, real ones, even if I have to suffer through dreams."

"So yes, I understand." Tybalt growls. His eyes are full of livid rage mingled with defiance and pride, "But I don't accept. I left the Schutzstaffel because I didn't believe in that kind of bullshit. It was wrong then and it's wrong now!" His voice raises with each spoken word until he's pretty much yelling at the golden-eyed Shadowkin.

"This freedom you tempt me with by killing Guardians? Setting me free? Fuck it and fuck you too."

OOC: Screw the censoring. It works out better this way.

Sage R.

• Junior Grade Poster
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2013, 07:33:08 pm »

Though in the past the voice of temptation had tried to insist that the other one was simply trying to ruin their dream, destroy their utopia, this time, he seems perfectly content to take a different tack. Perhaps it's because the utopia in the offering just now is one gained through bloodshed and vitriol, and the illusion couldn't be held. Maybe Mr. Redtext just got tired of the charade. Either way, Tybalt's defiant ranting is met with a vicious laugh, the kind heard most often during a fight between two skilled combatants who, despite wanting to rip each other to little bloody bits, can still appreciate a respectable strike. "And yet you still long for it in those lonely days when you watch them from a distance, right or wrong. But you don't just have to be free; you can be free and be in charge. Not a sad little outsider. Not a third-wheel newcomer. Anything's better than another few decades of loneliness when they're grinding their happiness in your face, isn't it?"

It's possible the alternating voices coming from Alaric's mouth are even creepier than just the one voice at a time. Alaric raises his hands in a gently pleading sort of way and offers Zoey a sad little smile, a pitying one, as he moves in closer to her. "Well of course he's not yours. Not yet, anyway. But I could be, mom. Don't you still want a little baby shadowspawn to call your very own? There's still plenty of time, mom. We could build everything from the ground up, just the way we want it. And then I can show you how to rebuild dad."

The puddle on the floor bubbles once or twice. "...you know what must be done..."
The Human
The Dragon

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4