Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: Flats might run even more RP?? Updated.  (Read 16416 times)

Flatstompa

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Recruit
Flats might run even more RP?? Updated.
« on: June 16, 2013, 04:46:17 am »

Alright folks, here's the deal. I'm gonna try another rp. I'm tentatively shooting for a bit more combat against things you won't feel bad about hitting this time around. I already have 2 people fixed, so I'm looking at another 2-4.

It would still be good if the character you pick is willing to CM-disguise as a human or at least can be mistaken as human relatively easily. Just ask me if you can't decide between your own characters.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 10:09:54 pm by Flatstompa »

Ashla

• Second Class Poster
  • Rifts affiendo!
Re: Flats might run even more RP?? (Interest check)
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 05:37:51 am »

I'd be interested in doing this with either Gaddez or Keith.

Dathiel

• First Class Poster
  • ... Always Triumphs!
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 07:15:08 pm »

I'd be interested in doing this with Rhade

Nekane

• Second Class Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 09:52:28 pm »

nekatronix or rei work bretty goot

Rhiann

• Second Class Poster
  • I'm a fox. Want to know more? Just ask.
    • The World of Sau'du
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 11:51:37 pm »

Dav has a human form--until she goes into combat when she automatically shifts into Worgen. If you still have room, that is?
Rhiann: Priestess of the Web and a powerful Telepath/telekinetic.
Tracker: Bionic fox from an 'alternate' Earth.
Dav: A Worgen (Werewolf) Shaman from the World of Warcraft

Will there be others?

Flatstompa

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Recruit
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 11:51:22 pm »

Alright, I think it'll be

Dav
Rei
Dathiel (Rath)
Gaddez
Nightwhisper

Briefing post is in the works.

PM Sent to Rath.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 02:25:09 pm by Flatstompa »

Flatstompa

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Recruit
Re: Flats might run even more RP?? SLOWLY STARTING
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 10:02:01 pm »

Alright, let's slowly get the ball rolling and gather up for a briefing, shall we?

<< Requesting volunteers for a field mission, assemble in briefing room 3. >>

The briefing room in question already has an occupant, a nondescript greenshirt setting up a projector, notebook and a stack of briefing materials.

In system, an emergency meeting, two weeks prior.

Thank you for seeing us on such short notice, sir. Please take a seat. Coffee? Brandy? My humidor is open to you, if you wish. I apologize for taking you away from your family with so little warning, but events have overtaken us - events which, as you'll soon see, involve our entire organization. Sir, what I am about to tell you is known by only 11 humans in the Western world - the seven of you in this room, the Acting Director, and the three pertinent members of the Staff Council. Though I know you to be circumspect and discreet, I'm afraid this is no ordinary intelligence briefing. We're quite sure the human governments would overreact to what you're about to be told. The issue at hand is beyond the scope of even the designs of the Long-Term Planning Board. If you'd like to sit down, we'll begin.

We have received confirmation that, somewhere in the great Garagum desert in Turkmenistan, an organization unknown to us has successfully tested an Excission device.

Now, in light of that rather staggering fact - sir? Why, yes, by all means avail yourself of the coffee. Here, allow me to add the brandy, your hands are... there. Yes, I understand, sir. Take your time.

Yes, so, in light of this startling fact, we are positioning all available field resources appropriately. We need two things from you at your very earliest convenience. You must provide me with a list of people who may possibly have aided in the development or use of the device. And secondly - well, I'm terribly sorry, sir, but this business we're in... Of course, we'll need your signed resignation on my desk by this time tomorrow.

Yes, of course - if there is a tomorrow, indeed. The Excission device does make one nostalgic for the old days of mutually assured nuclear destruction and its attendant comfort of shelter beneath the mountains. Even the phrase, "mutually assured nuclear destruction," seems rather quaint now, doesn't it?

No one at this department, least of all myself, believes that anything was deliberately hidden from us, but certain knowledge concerning Californium-298 and the more, shall we say, chthonic properties of tachyons—I must admit it gives me pause.

Getting to the point, sir, I was approached yesterday by your department's own Herr Professor-Doktor Rautenberg, a man whom I know by rumor and reputation. Until this morning, the two working devices fabricated by his predecessor were believed to be the only examples of their kind. He had instructions to bypass your office and report directly to me in certain contingencies. This was one. Rautenberg's team detected bursts of theta-amplitude pseudoparticles coruscating from Turkmenistan three days ago. Being aware of the anti-temporal nature of his field, he knew to look for unusually high activity in the teracycle bands, curiously violent and unnaturally symmetrical sunspot formations, and small measurable lapses in general and relative causality. He claims they point to only one thing: their newfound excission capability. Yes, someone was cunning and formidable enough to not only build a device, but to hide it from us, as well. Or, perhaps more frightening, one was supplied, or even deployed, by agents from Outside.

Please don't worry about the carpet.

So, protocol demands that you cede control of your department to me and retire. You'll remain here for no more than 36 hours in an advisory capacity, and then you're off to join your family. We're preparing their relocation as we speak. I wish I could say I know with 100 percent certainty that they'll be safe, but a rogue Excission device... Yes, quite right.

Of course, should we find evidence of an Outside attack, we'll forget about the retirement, and have you reinstated, if you so wish. No sense wasting your talents, in that case.

At the moment, we are by no means certain where the first discharge took place. We're having our orbital assets resituated to scan the area for signs of its effects. Since thanatic harmonics are not restricted by line-of-sight, or even strict Einsteinian dimensionality, triangulating the site and judging the success of their test will be quite difficult. Not complaining, of course. Had they deployed it in a populated area, we would most certainly know the device's effects—even though we do not know who "they" are. Reason enough to get right to work, no?

Yes. Goodbye, Bertie. Farewell.

Everyone else, your aircraft leave for Turkmenistan at Zulu 400. We're done here. Thank you. And God save us all.

Rhiann

• Second Class Poster
    • The World of Sau'du
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 06:04:43 am »

A young woman--somewhere in her late 20s perhaps--walks into the room and looks around. Her reddish-blond hair hangs loose around her head and down to the middle of her back, looking dry and windblown despite any effort to control it. Choosing a seat, she moves towards the front and takes the next to the last seat to the left of the central aisle where she can see the screen clearly and still watch for others arriving for the briefing.

Will there be others?

Dathiel

• First Class Poster
  • ... Always Triumphs!
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2013, 11:44:15 pm »

GJG Dathiel Leafstalker had just been cleared for duty once again – and showed up in the briefing room with an almost optimistic look on his face for once. He’s a tall green-eyed blood elf with red and gold hair, and he’s dressed in his customary green and white leather armor and quarterstaff. He looks around at the other guardians assembling, and will take any materials he is handed and look through them with a brisk down-to-business manner.

Nekane

• Second Class Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 04:54:26 am »

Rei strolls in at an easy pace and hops into a chair near the side. She's not armed or armored with anything in particular, just wearing a black tank-top and white short-shorts with sneakers. Black-haired, pale-skinned and with light eyes, she's fairly striking, but moreso that is just how predatory her movements are. It's kind of disturbing. She moves like a panther, seemingly lazily but also as if mere microseconds from tearing someone in half.

For a slender young woman of 5'4" that's impressive.

She promptly lounges in the chair, despite how uncomfortable the metal folding seat actually is, and stretches out, apparently bored already.

Ashla

• Second Class Poster
  • Rifts affiendo!
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 05:20:45 pm »

Leaning up against a nearby wall, Gaddez surveys the people in the room in an instant to see if he recognized any of them, and while he had seen some of them in the halls, he wasn't actually familiar with any of them. Meh, he'd know them pretty well by the end of this.

That done, he'll patiently await the start of the briefing.

Tellana

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Recruit
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2013, 10:48:31 pm »

Nightwhisper leans back against her chair as usual, yawning a bit. She had planned to sleep in today, but the prospect of the mission was too enticing. Curiosity and cats and all that. She waves idly to the others.

Meckell

• Forum Recruit
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2013, 05:19:07 pm »

Attrition enters the room from a side door, taking up position by the projection screen and motioning to the stack of briefing materials for anyone who hasn't picked up a copy yet, "These will be relevant."

Each folder contains:
- Operational Abstract: A brief summary indicating that the mission occurs in the Crew's system, the team is required to use Blueshift PMC disguises, and the initial objectives are to find the source of large scale jaunt phenomena that occurred in the Turkmenistan desert, with an open-ended resolution at team discretion.
- Situational Intel: In-depth information concerning the large scale jaunt phenomena that occurred two weeks ago, forming an anomalous zone where the system's reality has been altered, and SQ's response - media control, patrols cordoning the zone, attempts to evacuate local wildlife, logistics through a skydock in the Caspian sea, and the presence of a surveillance airship. On the GG end, a large chunk of the system's landscape was discovered adrift in Jauntspace - bedrock, desert, and some dead animals.
- Blueshift Cover: Information concerning Blueshift, an in-system PMC outfit loosely puppeteered by SQ and contracted to cordon the zone. The information covers uniforms, equipment, force structure, and operational area in the zone. Basic conversion information is provided in an included datacard. As with most human personnel involved in cordoning the zone, they are unaware of animal sapience.
- Operational Procedures: Specific operating guidelines to follow within the system - the procedures recommend active conversions, assumption of constant observation, and only dropping disguises if absolutely necessary. "Don't stand out" and "Don't leave anything behind" are emphasized. Repeatedly.
- System Intel: A substantial stack of information concerning the Crew's system. It is prefaced by notes emphasizing the System's autoconversion effect, the presence of crude jaunt detection equipment, acceptance of multiversal theory, animal sapience and society, mad scientists, and resulting surveillance capability.

Without waiting for anyone to actually pick up a folder, much less read, Attrition snaps her fingers at the projection screen, where an image appears without any activity from the projector - indeed, it hasn't even been plugged in yet. A series of images of and from the Crew's system are shown. "The Crew's system. Primary-based, but nonhuman animals are intelligent and running the world while humans in general are kept in the dark about that, a situation maintained by the Status Quo organization. No active campaigns, began further divergence from events in Primary with conclusion of last campaign. In general, our first concern is preventing system contamination, collateral damage is low priority."

A wave of her hand brings up intel footage of a large chunk of desert and underlying bedrock drifting through Jauntspace. "Some form of large-scale Jaunt phenomena occurred two weeks ago in the system's Turkmenistan desert. We found this three days later. At the moment, we don't know if the event originated from within or from without the system. Your first objective is to find the source. How you handle it from there, I leave at your discretion."

The screen now shows images of the Caspian skydock, and various patrols and bases in desert. "The event has altered the local reality in a large tract of desert, forming an anomalous zone, and there have been encounters with various monsters, mutants, and so on. SQ response has been to cordon off the zone with its own field teams and a substantial number of PMCs, but they haven't run an operation of such time and geographical scale, involving so many unaware humans before. As such, the situation is somewhat disorganized, which will be to our advantage."

The SQ propaganda video, muted and subtitled, plays back on the screen. "SQ accepts multiversal theory, has dealt with system incursions, has crude but functional detection equipment, and thanks to the last team that went in, is aware of us as some vague ulterior actor. Fortunately, the anomalous zone should interfere with their ability to detect and triangulate your insertion point, and if it becomes necessary to drop your conversions, you will not be inducing significant reality stress on the system compared to the rest of the zone."

Attrition motions at the screen again, now displaying images and text concerning the Blueshift PMC. "However, people still have eyes. You're going in among armed mercenaries ready to shoot anything nonnative on sight. As with the previous mission to this system, there will be an animal observation issue. SQ has attempted evacuations of the local wildlife, with dubious success - these are desert animals, they don't give half a damn about SQ's megalomaniacal industrialist mice overlords. This works both for us and against us. You will be observed, but these animals are less likely to call in SQ when something unusual happens. Therefore, I am requiring you to go in with active conversions as human personnel of the Blueshift PMC. Merc outfit, SQ-owned, part of the cordon force. Try not to drop conversion without a good reason, especially if you're observed by cordon forces or SQ assets. Intel and conversion data's included in the folders. A vehicle will also be provided."

The screen goes blank. "Questions."
Dogbots
NSC
Titan Blue
Greenshirts
JSPRL
MKSUBVERGE
Arena
Hostiles

Dathiel

• First Class Poster
  • ... Always Triumphs!
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2013, 11:09:44 pm »

Dathiel looks over the information with a thoughtful expression. CM full human, meant no shape shifting. He may still have spells in a pinch (assuming he wasn’t auto converted into something far weaker) but Status Quo might not look kindly on a human who can talk to plants and animals (assuming he still had that particular talent upon landing). Wait… he couldn’t talk with plants or animals but maybe Laika could do it for him? CM her into a normal sized wolf? That could work.

“I have an intelligent animal companion - a dire wolf, if we use a CM to convert her into a normal sized wolf or dog would I still be able to bring her along?” Stress on the system is the primary concern, but having a way to gather Intel from animals might be incredibly useful – more so if there was a way to do it without breaking too many rules.

While his first question is being answered (one way or the other), he’ll go over the documents handed to him. He didn’t have any mind control powers, but looking through the documents Dathiel strongly suspects that a druid of his caliber would most probably swing many SQ agents off the paranoid deep end.

“Next question, it’s noted on one of these files that the system has become ‘more porous’ leading to dimensional incursions. This has naturally led to SQ’s increased dimensional incursion detection and increased reaction times and so –forth…” Dathiel pauses for a moment to make sure he hasn’t overlooked anything that could make the answer obvious, and make him look stupid for asking it. “The system has seen fewer and fewer active games, so has the cause of the dimensional instability been found? Is it a result of unresolved plots? Is it a result of technological divergence? Or do we know anything in general on that front? I’m not talking about this particular incident, just any potential theories or causes behind the dimensional deterioration.”

Before coming to this reality, Dathiel had spent a lot of time as a Gaming Guardian, different reality different rules, but he fell off his own world thanks to a dimensional instability and landed in that primary, and then he used a similar dimensional uncertainty to land in this reality, and was even swallowed by a monster that seemed to make dimensional holes – something like this is enough to give the druid a great pause for concern. Dathiel and dimensional fluxes have not mixed well in the past.

Rhiann

• Second Class Poster
    • The World of Sau'du
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2013, 03:40:14 am »

Dav takes a folder and skims through it, quickly recognizing the system. After Dathiel speaks up and gets his response, she queries,

"First question: can the CM device accommodate my increased size if I'm forced to shapeshift to worgen for combat?
Second, I noticed some variance of my totem powers on our last visit; have we been able to quantify that?
Finally, would I serve better as a large wolf rather than humanoid using the CM to conceal my weapons instead until needed? I could perhaps accompany Dath's own companion and maybe look a little less out of place than having a single wolf in the party. It could also work to our advantage if the locals think they already have Investigators on site."

Will there be others?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13