Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Nothing's ever easy (semi-open RP)  (Read 9082 times)

Ashla

• Second Class Poster
  • Rifts affiendo!
Re: Nothing's ever easy (semi-open RP)
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2013, 07:45:01 pm »

When Rhiann explains the situation gaddez lets out a sigh and sits down on the edge of the porch. "It's... a long story, so I'll try and explain it as best I can but theres a probably going to be some parts that will need clarification."

"While I was on vacation an old friend of mine contacted me that he had an answer to a question I'd asked him years before: how does someone grow a new millenium tree? As far as recorded history knew, they had always been these massive tree's that had protected and nurtured people and asked seemingly nothing in return.

"Brandon told me that his tree had revealed to him in a dream that there was a staff that existed in the german tree and that I was welcome to try and recover the thing, since he didn't believe his fellow druids could actually recover it since the german tree had been corrupted by demons.

"I knew that to get what I needed, I knew I was going to need to do things differently then I normally would. I couldn't brawl my way through this, so using my company wasn't an option. Further, I knew that I'd never be able to convince the guardians to greenlight a mission to go on what ammounted to a treasure hunt. So I went with a third option: use some independants to help me steal it.

"I managed to pull together a small team in the black forest to make the attempt. 3 headhunters to help out if things got hairy, an herbalist who could extract the staff and a cro Demon mage who could get us in. It was tough getting most of them to work together for one reason or another, but I floated more money under their noses then they knew they'd ever see in their life times and I swore to them I had multiple escape plans prepped.

"I gotta tell you rhiann, When I saw the tree I almost thought of turning back since it was just...

"Dammit. Didn't want you to see that.

"We got into the tree fairly easy. Between me and the cro, we had enough cred to get past most of the lesser demons without so much as a dirty look and climbed up a good ways, searching for the staff that Brandon was convinced could be found in the midsection of the tree.

"When we found it, I think everyone was taken in by it a bit since it was the one place in the whole tree that felt safe, the sort of feeling that the trees normally evoked when you were in their branches. Still, we had a job to do and Gretta got to work removing the staff from the tree while the rest of us kept watch.

"When she held it in her hands, their was a look of such awe and adoration; she was absolutely spell bound by it and whispered in german "this staff... it can be anything... do anything..."

"And then Jezzik the demon point blanked her in the back of the head with a blast of lightning.

"He reached down and picked up the staff and had this look of smug satisfaction on his face and some odd look in his eye. One of the headhunters I hired demanded to know what the hell he was doing and he calmly replied that for him this was never about the money, He wanted this mysterious staff I had gotten them so excited about, and now that he had it he understood what all the fuss was about.

"While my companions drew up their guns to engage him and he boasted about how flipping amazing he was, I responded to his sudden bout of megalomania by activating a shaped K-HEX charge I'd slipped into his robes while he was asleep the night before, making a mess of him in before he could either call for help or fling death at us.

"I reached down and grabbed the staff and ~seeing as the guy we were entouraging with was dead~ decided that we couldn't get out the way we came in and went with my first contingency plan: Jaunt recall. I knew the tree had the ability to interfere with inter dimensional travel but I gambled that the combination of a tech method of doing so and the fact that we were exiting the megaverse in it's entirety would be more then it could handle. Since nothing happened it seemed clear that the tree could in fact screw with jaunt tech.

"So I went with contingency 2: Climb higher to reach one of the rifts that were permanently open so that we could escape to a dimension where I had allies. It was a desperate hail mary of a plan, since the portal wasn't exactly close and the explosion had alerted the denizens of the tree that we were there. But we all knew that it was our only shot at escape.

"We fought damm near every inch of the way Rhiann. The lot of us used every trick, every hold out, every bit of cover we could as we climbed higher to reach a portal to phase world. It was the sort of thing that would inspire movie makers with one of those glorious action sequences where the heroes just defeat impossible odds. Too bad this wasn't a movie and the odds were just too damm long. Fabian went down under a hail of particle beams from a bunch of brodkil. Some kind of elemental that looked like a patch of moss caught Peter and just crushed the life out of him. A gargoyle just snatched Simon off of an open air ledge and carried him off.

"I got within spitting distance of the portal when I noticed a shadow looming over me and I thought that damn gargoyle might have come back around looking for seconds. I wasn't in the best shape at this point with my forcefield generator fried and my cyber-armor beat to hell but I wasn't going to get taken by surprise this close to my goal. I whipped around and prepared to shoot whatever it was that was that wanted a piece of me.

"It was a great horned dragon, and before I could get a shot off it pinned me down and looked at me like it was nothing more then an irritating bug... until it saw the staff. It looked at the staff the same way the herbalist and the cro looked at it, like it was revealing all the mysteries of the universe to it. That's when it hit me: the staff wants to be used and frikkin calls to those who have magic. It's like the damn one ring.

"It offered me a deal, Give it the staff and I could walk free. It was a great deal really, but this day had cost 4 decent people their lives and I'd be dammed if I was gonna let it all be for nothing. So while the dragon was distracted by the staff I shot it in the eye with one of my pistols.

"He reared up and clutched at his face and I used that time to get up run towards the Rift. I didn't make it before the lizard breathed fire at me. As I heard the flames coming at me I fired off one last contingency plan: a thought:

Rhiann get the staff to Sau'du.

"And that's the story."

((Huge post is huge))

Rhiann

• Second Class Poster
  • I'm a fox. Want to know more? Just ask.
    • The World of Sau'du
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2013, 09:57:25 pm »

Rhiann looks at Gaddez for a long moment after he completes his story, judging everything she knew about him--and some of the things she hadn't. Finally, she nods her head.

"I... see. While what you went through is not surprising--for you, your reasoning is... shall we say, not typical?Even now, you have to know that I am truly in your mind; this scene around us is one you've created while your body was nearly destroyed. You... Always you were so adamant about not wanting anything to do with telepathy and always kept a Psi Block up strong enough to keep almost any native Psi out of your head--yet it seems you not only accept my presence, but even in the height of your pain when we did Recall you, I got a Sending from you that was practically an invitation.

"As for that staff, even now your hand grips it with unbreakable strength; both the doctor and security tried to remove it from you and you didn't let go even while totally unconscious.

"These things are too unusual for you. I find it too hard to believe that you went to all that risk, through all that combat and injury, just to get a staff for me to supposedly take back to Sau'du. And if I can't believe it, what do you think Security will say?"

"Why, Gaddez...? If what you say is so true, what is it about me that makes you want to risk your life for my people?"
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 10:02:51 pm by Rhiann »
Rhiann: Priestess of the Web and a powerful Telepath/telekinetic.
Tracker: Bionic fox from an 'alternate' Earth.
Dav: A Worgen (Werewolf) Shaman from the World of Warcraft

Will there be others?

Ashla

• Second Class Poster
  • Rifts affiendo!
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2013, 09:29:16 pm »

"In my world Rhiann, A master psionic can reduce even the most powerful of men to a broken shell by changing his feelings, altering memories, directly manipulating the nervous system or flat out mind controlling them. even something as seemingly benign as telepathy can reveal information that an individual would never share under the most dire torture."

"My people don't have the ability to resist such effects as easily as others, nor do we have the capacity to manifest psychic abilities that could form natural defences. This combined with the fact that I was a leader of a band of mercenaries who relied on me were compelling reasons to invest in an effective method of bolstering my defences. The consequences of this method being that friends couldn't tap into my thoughts either, but I considered it to be a worthwhile trade off.

"The message that I kept in my thoughts was... a hail mary. When the dragon used it's breath weapon I didn't think I would survive but if I did I would probably be catstrophicly injured and if anyone wanted answers they would need to use a telepath. If one of them did try and do any sort of probe I wanted them to have that message: To get the staff to Sau'du.

"As to why I wanted to get the staff to your world... Sau'du reminded me of Rifts earth. It's people ~both it's people~ were suffering for the actions of those long dead. They were hunted by near unstoppable beasts. Vast tracks of land were simply too dangerous to walk due to residual radiation. Further, survival was something that came across as a genuine struggle with no guarantee that it would pan out long term, especially not if the Sa'uk and the Par'du wound up locked in another war."

The scenery changes and in a moment Rhiann will find herself near a scaled down millenium tree (from 10,000 feet to about 6); if she looks carefully she will notice people, robot vehicles and creatures moving around the base and branches.

"Millennium tree's are amongst the most amazing things in the megaverse since they're incredibly powerful quasi sentient tree's that afford sanctuary to any that can reach them. They can heal the sick and the dying, stabilize the environment around them and when they are of a mind to give "gifts" in the form of bark armor, leaves, staffs or wands.

"But most of all Rhiann: they are benign. They don't want anything, other then to nurture those who live in proximity to them.

"If you were to bring this to Sau'du, you could create neutral ground for Sa'uk and Par'du where your two people could meet and talk. A place that would nurture both because it wouldn't see the difference between them. A place where neither worms nor griffins could threaten the people. Lastly, it could cleanse radiation in a range of about 75 miles around it's base."

"As to what it is about you that inspired me to do this..." Gaddez pauses for a moment as an impish smile plays across his face "A lot of things. Putting aside your obvious physical beauty, you are a living embodiment of hope. You travelled beyond your world to find people to bring back to your world so that the Sa'uk could survive. You've stood against the most dangerous beings that ever walked the Dream. You haven't left even when so many other guardians have gone into seeming retirement. And when I was ready to go and have a loud and blasphemous conversation with your goddess over the shenanigans she got up to by changing you into a human you had faith in her even when it didn't make a lick of sense to the rest of us."

"You inspire even me Rhiann, and that's a hard thing considering how much I've seen in my life."

Rhiann

• Second Class Poster
    • The World of Sau'du
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2013, 12:18:29 am »

Rhiann's blush rises into her ears and even the medical technician monitoring from outside the room can see the pink in them. If he's monitoring with an IR camera, the heat is QUITE visible.

"Gaddez, you may not know this but you have stronger shields against Psi than you know. I can only assume that your belief otherwise is the only reason you're weak to those psionics. You didn't sense my arrival because I didn't try to break that wall, merely infiltrate it. I doubt those master psionics of your world would consider that too readily. I'd almost like to send some of Hsaarra's people up against those psionics; I don't think the masters would know how to adapt to a psi-invisible being.

"As for your Hail Mary pass, well, I don't think that was the only thing you were focused on. I still have to admit that one of your species would find someone so different... so attractive. I am both flattered, and honored, by your desire. Your interest and efforts deserve a reward, but the reward I would offer would require what some consider an 'ultimate sacrifice'. Know now that I offer you a life as a Sa'uk, but don't require it of you."

The vixen rises somewhat up out of Gaddez' mind, backing off to a simple telepathic connection that still lets her see what he wants her to see without encroaching on his innermost privacy. She glances over at the staff and lightly caresses one finger over the wood--sensing the raw power and energy it contains in that touch. Closing her eyes, she resists the urge to take it from his hand and instead lays her hand on his.

"I'm going to need to ask a favor of you, Gaddez. YOU, must carry the staff to Sau'du. Guard it with your life because anyone with any magical sense will want it for their own purposes. I wouldn't even trust Hsaarra--the only Pardu I do trust--with this; her shamanism would be greater than any Sau'du has ever seen and it would too easily get corrupted to Pardu purposes rather than global. I need YOU to be that one person unaffected by its power who plants it on my world. I only wish you had found seeds that could have been laid near all of the glowing cities."

She sits back and looks at the still unconscious form, removing her hand from atop his.
"As for Changing me back to human, the Goddess had every right; I was becoming too proud of my abilities among 'normal' humans and needed a reminder of where I had come from. It was a lesson I needed to learn. You can't lie there and tell me that everybody was as angry as you at her punishment.

"Now, though, it's time for you to face the fact that you are still alive and mostly healthy. I even removed most of the scarring from your encounters, but enough remains that I'm sure you will remember their cause for the rest of your life--assuming you choose to keep your current form. You don't need to hide yourself in this lovely valley because there are those here who are concerned for your health and well-being. I'll grant that you will have to answer some questions--especially since you apparently used some either purloined or hacked jaunt recall tags--but I will verify the truth of what you tell them as long as you tell them what you told me. I will, if necessary, defend you from any who try to take the staff until we can arrange our own Jaunt to Sau'du.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 02:41:07 am by Rhiann »

Will there be others?

Ashla

• Second Class Poster
  • Rifts affiendo!
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2013, 09:04:03 pm »

While Gaddez makes no outward signs (being still comatose and all), his surface thoughts swirl up a note of caution about what rhiann is advising him to do.

oO(Rhiann, If administration learns what the staff is in it's entirety they will never let it go. They will want to study it and then probably stick it in a vault somewhere to be forgotten about or used as a contingency in the event of a dire threat to the primary. Hell, depending on how blockheaded some folks are they might try to either destroy it or put it back where it came from.)

(I will speak truth Rhiann, but I can't tell them everything or they will shut this down.)

Rhiann

• Second Class Poster
    • The World of Sau'du
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2013, 11:36:11 pm »

"I understand leaving out certain information for the good of all, but keep in mind that while there are a few magic users among us, they are not exactly in charge of the organization. So far, only you and I know what this staff is, but you will have to explain why you went to such risk and for a time set off alarms for 'unauthorized Jaunt Recall Signatures' when you tried to pull your group out. Quite honestly, while they recognized your signature and managed the "death recall" for you, the reason your companions died is simply the fact that nobody was advised there was any kind of mission in progress. From what I understand, Security has classified your mission as highly illegal."

She opens her eyes and glances around, using her nose and ears to try and determine if anyone else is nearby.

"I could possibly 'port us to Sau'du right now, but all that would do is make matters worse for you and directly involve me in your plot--with almost no believable explanation possible without involving the Goddess herself. As for your description of this World Tree, would it even work on Primary even if someone knew how to use it?"

Will there be others?

Ashla

• Second Class Poster
  • Rifts affiendo!
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2013, 12:17:31 am »

When Rhiann looks up she will see that Barry is reading a magazine, and appears to be the only person presently working in the med bay.

oO(Given what I was told by Brandon the tree can grow damn near anywhere Rhiann; I wouldn't be surprised if It could grow on the moon. But someone else grabbing hold of it to plant it somewhere in the primary isn't what concerns me.)

oO(The staff carries in it tremendous power to spur the growth of a Millenium tree, but the way it was described to me by Brandon and the way everyone with a lick of magic goes derpy around it I suspect it's possible to draw the internal magics out and use them to amplifiy spells or rituals exponentially; It would be like an act of god.)

oO(As to security, this isn't my first song and dance with them. I can give a reasonable accounting of what happened without telling them everything, though they're probably going to want you to verify my commentary.)

Rhiann

• Second Class Poster
    • The World of Sau'du
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2013, 05:15:23 am »

"Gaddez," she replies, still in the telepathic virtual world, "I see and understand what you've done, though I still find it hard to understand why. However, since I have asked you to hold onto the staff until it can be planted, I now must make a demand of you I would normally not: If you are to plant it before we face Security, then I need you awake and aware--Now! I will not portal you in your current physical and mental state.

"I will ask the Goddess' guidance to the best location for the planting of the tree and if that is within effective range of an irradiated city, we may meet up with a Rock Worm or Gryffin. We might meet up with something we've never encountered before OR, we might encounter a Pardu clan. Whatever it is, I will likely not be able to fight for myself and guard you as well in your current state.

"We have one advantage right now--nobody really expects you to awaken this soon despite the healing I did earlier. You have to regain control of your body and be ready for unarmed combat as soon as we land. Can you do this, or should I wait until you feel more sure of your recovery?"

Will there be others?

Ashla

• Second Class Poster
  • Rifts affiendo!
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2013, 06:56:23 am »

Rhiann will note a whizzing of thought in gaddez's mind as he contemplates the options presented to him; It's like listening to dozens of voices (all the same) speaking simultaneously extremely fast. It doesn't take long for those same thoughts

oO(Force me awake so I can talk to security. When we're done I'll mention to them that you wanted to take me to Sau'du for recovery. That way we avoid any unnecessary attention and/or interference.)

oO(So whenever your ready I'm good to go.)

Rhiann

• Second Class Poster
    • The World of Sau'du
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2013, 02:28:27 am »

Rhiann opens her eyes again, stretching her perception to sense if anyone other than Barry is around close enough to interrupt what she has in mind. Assuming the way is clear, she puts a light tendril of sense on Barry's mind to track his focus on the magazine while shifting slightly in her chair, extending her wing around enough to block his view of her as she pulls the IV tube out of her needle and attaches it to Gaddez' own, then ups the flow to her former high level. Fortunately she's familiar enough with the pump that she silences it before its rate sounder accelerates, pumping almost pure sucrose into Gaddez' veins.

With only a slight bit of telepathic control she gives Barry the sense that everything is normal and that the IV pump is running at the lower speed. She maintains this for the few minutes it takes for the bag to empty and return it to her own arm, reducing its flow rate and gradually increasing its volume where it sounds the empty bag alarm.

Moving more obviously now, she rises to her feet and very visibly removes the IV from her arm while making sure Barry is now aware of her movements. She pushes the pump and stand aside and lays her hand lightly on Gaddez' chest. #Forgive me, my friend. This is going to hurt.# Gaddez' body suddenly twitches violently, almost as though a defibrillator had jolted his heart. Simultaneously, Gaddez' mental wall is shattered by her own considerable force. The two actions jolt the Orc awake.

"Barry, would you be so good as to summon the Chief of Security right away?" she asks telekinetically as she pulls Gaddez up to a seated posture and triggers the gurney's controls to raise the back up for support.

Will there be others?

Ashla

• Second Class Poster
  • Rifts affiendo!
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2013, 07:37:37 am »

Gaddez's Facial muscles reflexively Contort as Rhiann Forces the mental connections back into place and his eyes snap open. He still looks less then stellar, but he's fully conscious now and readily accepts Rhiann's aid in getting up. Shortly thereafter Tom Jackson returns with a pair of security personel, and begins questioning Gaddez about what happened.

What follows is  the orc is questioned about what it is that he got up to during his leave of absence and to his credit, Gaddez is able to spin the tale magnificently; He tells how he went with a group of adventurers to the Tree to assist them on a job (Leaving out how he was the one who hired them in the first place), wound up having to make a decision when things went south to try and get the team out by means of Jaunt recall and how this wasn't an attempt to get some new treasure for himself (He wanted to get it for Sau'du).

For his part Tom slides from being smug to frustrated when gaddez doesn't get obviously caught in some sort of contradiction or anything to suggest that what happened was anything other then an unfortunate series of events. Exasperated he turns to Rhiann and says to her "You were in his head. Is he telling the truth?"

Rhiann

• Second Class Poster
    • The World of Sau'du
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2013, 06:20:40 pm »

Rhiann looks into Jackson's eyes, using only a fraction of her mental presence as she telekinetically  replies.
"It is said that the mind cannot lie in a telepathic connection. Simply put, in order to verbally tell a lie, the mind has to create that lie. I would be able to detect that 'translation'.

"In what Gaddez has told you, he has told no untruths. I would point out however, that he has just been healed of injuries that would have cost anyone else their lives and I have discovered a barrier around his mind that is not typical of his species. So whether what he has told you is the truth as he knows it or as someone else may have created for him may be at question. Because I am not fully convinced of his mental acuity, I have decided to take him to Sau'du, where he can do almost no physical harm to any society and where I can spend sufficient time to analyze and overcome any artificial memories that may have been implanted at no risk to Outpost or Primary. I would also have the benefit of assistance by the Goddess should this be an attempt by some entity to destroy my System.

"As I have stated, at least in his conscious mind he has told no untruths. I will be able to give you a more concise reply once my undivided attention can be focused on his full recovery."

"I will not need any Jaunt Recall devices as if this is an attack, then I do not wish any fallout to affect the Guardians directly. I am sure such an attack would become obvious to your own sensors in time and you would have the opportunity to field a team sufficient to the need at that time. If there is no attack and I am certain that Gaddez is fully in control of his own mind, I will return with a full report."

(edit for some spelling corrections)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 06:22:27 pm by Rhiann »

Will there be others?

Ashla

• Second Class Poster
  • Rifts affiendo!
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2013, 12:29:09 am »

Tom's irritation at Rhiann's answer is visible, but he nods his head obviously hoping the priestess will give him the answers he wants.

For his part, Gaddez nods his head and says "I'm ready to go when you are miss Rhiann."

Rhiann

• Second Class Poster
    • The World of Sau'du
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2013, 03:05:14 am »

"Don't worry, CFC Jackson; you will get your answers. Whether they're the ones you want or not will depend on what I discover."

Telepathically she sends to Gaddez, #I'm actually surprised he's not demanding to accompany us--or assigning someone to go along.#

"Now, if you would give me some space...?" Rhiann telekinetically lifts Gaddez from the mattress and helps him stand up, keeping most of his weight off his legs--which will tend to exaggerate the Orc's overall weakness by making it look like he's less in control of his limbs than he would like-- and walks him out into the more open antechamber or nurses' room. "Please advise the commander as to where we have gone. I am sure they will send someone if they have need to contact us."

With that, she holds out one hand palm up and generates her Web sphere, causing it to grow until it completely surrounds the two of them. It flares in brightness to the point they can no longer be seen by any optical means and 'pop'--collapses, leaving no sign that anyone had been standing there.

Will there be others?

Ashla

• Second Class Poster
  • Rifts affiendo!
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2013, 05:10:02 am »

Gaddez makes a point of leaning on the staff as Rhiann helps him onto his feet and regenerated muscle tissue and surge of sugar aside she doesn't have to try too hard to make him look like he's at less then 100%.

When They arrive on Rhiann's home world, Gaddez grins to her. "That m'lady, was some world class BS you slung back there: elegant, honest, not giving him what he wanted but making him want to send you where we needed to be. You may have been a con artist in another life."

His praise issued, Gaddez makes a circular motion with his left shoulder and by magic (literally) his much beaten back pack appears looped over it for a moment before he shrugs it off so he begin retrieving some spare clothes from it. He is after all wearing a hospital gown and if he is going to be going anywhere that isn't room temperature with a linoleum floor a change of clothing is in order.

"So any idea's as to where we should be going or should we be waiting for your goddess to contact us?" He asks as he pulls on a pair of blue jeans.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7