Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Nothing's ever easy (semi-open RP)  (Read 9166 times)

Ashla

• Second Class Poster
  • Rifts affiendo!
Nothing's ever easy (semi-open RP)
« on: March 25, 2013, 05:27:35 pm »

((If anyone is interested in joining this then please contact me via PM and I'll see about working you in))

C&C
"Sir, we have something odd happening in a rifts system; looks like 4 jaunt recalls are being attempted but the signal is being muffled."
"The hell? Nobody told me about a mission to rifts. Who's CM's are those recall discs associated with?"
"That's the other weird part sir; there are no CM's, just recall components."
"Track them but don't do anything else for the time being. Could be the sensors misreading some of the locals using innate dimension hopping powers.

20 minutes later...
"Sir, all of the signals have stopped except for one and it just switched to death recall!
"Bring him home!"
Medbay
Chelsea had been enjoying some quiet time with a book when the alarm warning her that a guardian was going to be arriving via the jaunt pad. Delicately putting down her copy of Bag Of Bones She got up and headed over to recieve the patient.

When the inbound guardian arrived however, any sense of boredom simply vanished. The figure on the jauntpad was severely burned any place that she could see flesh, and metal plates on his back and arms were warped and glowing from the heat. Further, whatever clothing he had left was aflame although oddly enough though the figure gripped a staff of some sort, and wore a canvas backpack that seemed unbothered by the extroardinary heat their bearer must have been exposed to.

Grabbing hold of a fire extinguisher to put out the flames, chelsea barked orders to the two recruits who had been serving as nurses to get the man into a suspension harness. As they lifted him up Chelsea caught sight of the mans face which hadn't been so hideously burned and hissed in a breath as she recognized it.

"Gaddez Darkmoor what the hell did you do this time?"

20 minutes later
<< PC RHIANN: Your services are requested in med bay.>>
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 05:42:39 pm by Ashla »

Rhiann

• Second Class Poster
  • I'm a fox. Want to know more? Just ask.
    • The World of Sau'du
Re: Nothing's ever easy (semi-open RP)
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 08:15:00 pm »

Rhiann -- Personal quarters

For all that the vixen had been living in Outpost and on Prime for several years, she still knew very little about the world itself or its history. As such, she is rather intently watching a program purporting to be an enactment of one of the world's religious tomes when the call comes through the apartment's communicator. For once glad of the post's technology, she clicks 'pause' on the video system's remote and turns towards the comm unit. Using her own unique talents, she telekinetically presses the 'respond' key.

"Rhiann here," she replies using her telekinetic voice, "On my way. What is the nature of the emergency?"

Even while 'talking', she leaps over the back of the couch and rummages in her closet for appropriately 'modest' and easy to clean clothing--selecting a knee-length white backless dress reminiscent of one worn by an actress in the old movie, The Seven-Year Itch. For her, the dress is purely utilitarian however, not intended to be seductive. The open back lets her step in and give her wings complete freedom of movement while letting her tail hang out under the hem.
She stops at her desk long enough to grab her belt comm and clip it in place before reaching for the door.
Rhiann: Priestess of the Web and a powerful Telepath/telekinetic.
Tracker: Bionic fox from an 'alternate' Earth.
Dav: A Worgen (Werewolf) Shaman from the World of Warcraft

Will there be others?

Ashla

• Second Class Poster
  • Rifts affiendo!
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 11:04:59 pm »

<< We need you to ask GJG Gaddez Darkmoor some questions concerning his most recent excursion back home, like why we were recieving multiple jaunt recall signals when he was the only known guardian in system.>>

When rhiann arrives she'll find that there are a few people feeding tubing into a figure that is suspended by several slings over one of the operating tables with a slow rasping breath coming from it. Nearby there is a man in a green and white pantsuit and a woman who looks like she's prepping surgical tools. Upon spotting you, the man walks towards you.

The one thing that seems to be truly out of place however, is that the figure (who is horribly burned) is holding a 5 foot long wooden staff that appears to be completely untouched by whatever catastrophe was visited down upon him.

"For obvious reasons miss Rhiann, Mr. Darkmoor isn't up to answering questions at the moment, and administration wants answers on what happened. As Such, you being the most potent telepath on roster were naturally the first person we figured on asking."

Rhiann

• Second Class Poster
    • The World of Sau'du
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 11:58:19 pm »

Rhiann--Med Center

On arrival and after receiving the initial briefing she steps over to the figure. Laying one hand lightly on his chest (only a balance scale would detect her touch) she replies, "You do know he has anti-telepathic implants, don't you? I'm not even sure I could effect any kind of healing against those."

She turns and steps away from him. "It's obvious he has a problem with telepathy and I would like to have his permission before even attempting what you ask. It would be better if you put him in a regen bath and just waited for him to recover."

Will there be others?

Ashla

• Second Class Poster
  • Rifts affiendo!
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 03:38:11 pm »

The doctor shakes her head even as she makes the suggestion. "I can't do anything for him until we remove the cyber armor plating from his back since it's burned it's way through muscle right down to the bone in some spots and examine that thing on his spine to make sure it hasn't fused together; if we try to heal his flesh before dealing with the metal he'll at the very least be permanently crippled, likely disfigured and possibly dead."

"As to his psi-dirupter implant, we have specs for how it works and can shut it down. Assuming it isn't as fried as most of him is."

So saying, the doctor begins moving towards him with a scalpel, looking to remove the metal plates.

Meanwhile the administration officer continues "Listen, we had 4 jaunt recall attempts from the same system before gaddez death recalled. Assuming that it wasn't a glitch and he was one of them, there are 3 other people out there with our equpiment who may be injured or in danger. Further, we are being confronted with two possibilities that aren't by default good; either gaddez was in his home system getting himself and other guardians into trouble or he was doling out our tech to unawares. We need to know what's going on and unfortunately the only person who can is in a coma.

"I can't order you to do this Rhiann, but if you don't you will be putting those peoples lives in jeopardy."

Rhiann

• Second Class Poster
    • The World of Sau'du
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 04:48:41 pm »

"There is another option, at least in part. You could recommend a mission to wherever you retrieved him from to determine fact from speculation. However, I do understand your concern about his own survival. Then again, he's proven to be a lot tougher than he looks and he might even appreciate having his back literally armored.

"If you insist that you need me to heal him from within, then I will make that attempt; but I ask that you shut down his implant first. I may be able to overpower it myself, but that takes energy and I already have a high metabolism, as you know. Either way, I'm going to need a sucrose drip prepared since I'm not likely to have a chance to stop and eat while working with him. The more energy I have available, the less energy I have to cannibalize from him to effect repair. As the former head of this department, I already know the sucrose is available and the controllers attuned to my needs."

Will there be others?

Ashla

• Second Class Poster
  • Rifts affiendo!
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 03:31:40 am »

The surgeon nods her head and looks over at the two orderlies who have just finished getting gaddez hooked up to the various medical apparatuses meant to help stabilize him. "Get the lady what she's asked for while I make sure that Gaddez's implant is off."

A few moments later, they emerge with a bag of sugar water, an IV feed and a chair for rhiann. Sheepishly, the one with the bag looks over at rhiann and asks "Errr... where should I insert the feed miss?"

Meanwhile, the surgeon goes to work with a probe, disabling the implant that is now plainly visible on the side of his head.

"You should be good to go now miss Rhiann."

Rhiann

• Second Class Poster
    • The World of Sau'du
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 04:08:12 am »

The Sa'uk priestess looks over at the surgeon and nods, acknowledging the information. She then moves the chair close to the operating table's head, making it so she can comfortably lay her hands on him. Once situated she looks at the tech.
"I need my hands free for this, so you're going to insert that in my wing just above its elbow joint." She stretches her left wing out to point at the location. "Let me pluck a few feathers here so you get better access and I will make a vein accessible--you can't miss it. Don't worry about hurting me, I have good body control and will make your task as easy as I can." As she gives her instructions, she busily plucks a number of short but complete feathers along with even more pinfeathers to bare her skin. Almost immediately a purple-blue vein not only becomes visible, but seems to bulge up just in the center of the plucked area in an almost straight line.
"Just imagine that you're putting it in a wrist vein and you'll be fine," she adds.

Once the needle is inserted and the IV hooked up and checked, she nods and picks out two of the best feathers from those she plucked. "Here, give these to your children so you can tell them you really got to do something with that "winged fox lady" they always talk about." (The tech's mind was so open she couldn't help but 'hear' him thinking about their chatter. What the surgeon might not know is that Rhiann dotes far more on children than she lets on publicly as the young are so vital to the future of any race.

"Alright. As I said, I'll work to help you heal him as I can. If I learn any answers to your questions while I'm there I'll let you know, but I won't actively search for them without his express permission or unless I determine he's not going to survive. That's the best I'll offer you. Personally, I'd rather he lived to tell you those answers himself."

Will there be others?

Ashla

• Second Class Poster
  • Rifts affiendo!
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 04:09:38 pm »

When Rhiann enters Gaddez's mind, she'll note that the orc's subconscious is rather jumbled; countless thoughts and half thoughts are drifting around like debris in an incredibly slow moving hurricane. These thoughts however, all wind up connecting to greater memories, much like how the icon on a computer represents a complicated series of code.

Amongst these images are
An insanely huge tree; at least 10k feet tall on it that is actually supporting a community within it's leafy branches.
The staff in gaddez's hand.
Five people (three of whom look like soldiers or toughs, A woman wearing some sort of hide armor, and what appears to be a demon in robes looking rather smug).
A tree that looks like a woman reaching for the sky with her head thrown back wailing in anguish.
Rhiann's face.
An old man in a white robe with a worried face.

Beneath the swirl of thoughts and half thought, rhiann will note that there is what would appear to be a cottage on a hill where it sounds like someone is pounding nails into a deck; It's difficult to tell who it is since the individual appears to be hidden under an awning.

Rhiann

• Second Class Poster
    • The World of Sau'du
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 03:39:11 am »

Rhiann is startled by the fact that she falls into what appears to be a dream as soon as her perception enters his body. As such, she files the initial image for later study and attempts to pull out of the dream so she can analyze and start healing his body, first.

However, there's a problem--why is she, or at least her visage, embedded within the dream? Is it an effect of her entering his mind the way she did, or is there some other... perhaps romantic... reason? Mentally she shakes her head and tries to focus on healing her patient, telling herself that what she's looking at is a figment of Gaddez' imagination and not based on any reality.

Will there be others?

Ashla

• Second Class Poster
  • Rifts affiendo!
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2013, 04:47:07 am »

As Rhiann tries to pull away from the weird tableau floating in Gaddez's mind to a more grounded point, she'll find herself suddenly hit with what could best be described as a sudden burst of thought; the effect is like turning on a channel on an old TV and getting mostly snow and voices being badly distorted;
@$%>ANN#%[email protected] to !^~DU

As fast as it came the... thought? vanishes and the priestess will find herself able to analyze how badly hurt gaddez is, a process that reveals grim results. The orc has suffered 4th degree burns over most of his back side and much of the rest of his body has either 3rd or 2nd. The cyber armor on his back protected him as much as it could but the sheer amount of heat that was directed at him worried through the heat resistance of the metal and caused it to actually cook through muscle fibres; there are spots on his shoulderblades where the armor is now sitting directly on bone. Further, there are traces of his force field generator's materials melted into his muscles.

Internally, gaddez has less obvious injuries but not ones that should be ignored; there are minor fractures in his rib cage that suggest something hit him hard in the chest or back. Further, his lungs show signs that whatever it was that seared him, he breathed it in and though he's breathing under his own power at the moment, he isn't exactly doing anything strenuous at the moment.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 05:38:31 am by Ashla »

Rhiann

• Second Class Poster
    • The World of Sau'du
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2013, 05:36:38 pm »

Rhiann sighs as she finally gets a 'view' of Gaddez' physical condition. He's seriously injured, certainly, but her empathic healing, using a combination of telekinesis and telepathy, can repair most of the damage over time. At the moment the most critical repairs need to be the lungs. Due to her sucrose drip, she can pinpoint energy to where the healing needs it and the combination of accelerated healing with her telekinetic herding of dead cells towards the easiest exit. As such, his lungs are soon cleared, making breathing easier and reducing some of the stress on his other systems.

Taking a momentary break, she attempts to slip out of his body long enough to make a request to the attending doctor. If successful, she asks that an additional sucrose drip be supplied to Gaddez, though at a far lower rate than her own. A check of the bag shows she's already used nearly half in just the few minutes of healing she's done.

Whether successful or not at pulling out, part of her mind lingers on the message. Jumbled as it is, her name is almost obvious as is part of the last word which could have been Sau'du, the name of her home world or Pardu, the name of her race's hereditary enemy. Neither of these seem to make any sense at the moment.

-- or do they? Quickly she scans his body for direct radiation damage from atomic energy.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 05:42:26 pm by Rhiann »

Will there be others?

Ashla

• Second Class Poster
  • Rifts affiendo!
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2013, 06:51:08 pm »

The orderly nods as he heads back to the supply cabinet to get another pair of bags; one for gaddez and one for Rhiann when her first bag runs out.  A glance at the surgeon will reveal that she's in the process of removing the cyber armor from his right shoulder blade using shallow, careful cuts with a small scalpel.

The scan doesn't reveal what the priestess was expecting at all: not only does the attack lack the tell tale signs of massive radiation such burns would require, the orc is actually showing diminished levels.

Which is truly bizzare, since most people in a modern setting are exposed to it in non-threatening levels from a variety of sources (radon particles, cigarettes, various appliances, sunlight and even naturally occuring biological functions), to say nothing of the orc who has been known to handle nuclear ordanance without a lead suit. Even accounting for his species innate hardiness (which would only diminish the effects of radiation, not the total level), their isn't any way that gaddez could naturally reduce this.

Rhiann

• Second Class Poster
    • The World of Sau'du
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2013, 12:13:36 am »

Rhiann's reaction to the reduced radiation (not that she can measure levels, but there are usually detectable signs if radiation were the cause) is relief--followed by confusion. Still, she doesn't yet have time to delve into the details of the 'signals' she's received so far as she still has to help with the physical healing.

Detecting the sucrose entering Gaddez' bloodstream, she gradually accelerates overall healing while focusing her own efforts on the places where the surgeon is attempting to remove the plates. With an innate microscopic control, she pinches blood vessels and helps loosen the cauterized skin from around the armor plates, allowing for a remarkably bloodless operation. The problem is, that cauterized skin itself will need to be cut free to allow for new skin growth.

"Protein," her telekinetic voice orders. "He's going to need mass to replace what he's already lost and what he has yet to lose. I know this sounds stupid, but see if you can add some kind of bean protein like soy to his IV. I'll direct its placement once it hits his system. I expect this is going to look something like those old werewolf movies where gross injuries simply close up over the course of a few minutes. Well, they ate a lot of meat to manage that stunt and I need the equivalent--fast!"

Will there be others?

Ashla

• Second Class Poster
  • Rifts affiendo!
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2013, 06:45:54 am »

Once again, the orderly heads to the Supply cabinet to recover the requested medical supplies and hooks them up to gaddez.

With the protien salve being fed into his system Gaddez's body begins to recover and much as rhiann had predicted gaddez's muscle mass begins to recover, though his subcutaneous fat reserves simply don't recover as easily (probably due to the rapid rate at which his body is expending energy to regenerate even with rhiann's support).

For her part, the doctor does an incredible job of removing the armor plates to allow the flesh to heal properly; Depending on how observant Rhiann is she might be reminded of someone peeling away the shell on a crab. With that done, the doctor begins carefully sectioning the the cauterized flesh with the scalpel to allow the cauterized skin to be more easily be removed.

"Is there anything else you would advise miss rhiann?"
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7