Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Cascades (Closed RP) - Finished  (Read 5987 times)

Dathiel

• First Class Poster
  • ... Always Triumphs!
Re: Cascades (Closed RP)
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2013, 08:17:47 pm »

“Interesting…” the man says in a dark and sinister voice, “You have a way to resist defilement.” The man looks at Tiernan a moment with the oddest expression on his face, as if he was going to dissect Tiernan as soon as he had a chance.

“Your Vitae is stronger than most subjects... I bet the portal would open if I used you…” With startling speed magic missiles fly towards Tiernan with deadly accuracy. As Tiernan is still winded he can’t evade them in time. The impacts do minimal (and mostly negated) damage but the spell continues, the pattern of the spell is warped and corrupted and it threatens to wrack Tiernan’s body with continued pain.

OOC: The master Defiler used Enemies to Ashes… on Magic Missile, as a free action he cast the magic missiles, and then his standard action uses this effect: Tiernan suffers from ongoing Necrotic damage every round now (he gets a save attempt each round).

NerdyCanuck

• Global Moderator
  • Board Head
  • GDH Admin/Rehab
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2013, 08:28:28 pm »

The arrival of continued pain made Tiernan immediately reconsider his plan of attack. He knew instantly that with the nature of the spell afflicting him that he would be hard pressed to keep up with so skilled a magic user until its effects wore off. And so it was that he decided on utilizing his current Plan B, which was to fish out the Trump that brought him  here and use it to get the hell out of dodge.

With both daggers still in hand and ready to defend should the need arise, Tiernan fixes his attention on the image of the sand dunes. As they begin coming to life around him, he offers the following parting words, "That's because...I am stronger than most. Consider...yourself lucky that I miscalculated today or...you'd be dead right now." Speaking was remarkably difficult with the necrotic energies coursing through him.

He didn't even wait until he was finished speaking to start walking to his destination. Whether the Defiler heard all he said was irrelevant to him. He really, truly, didn't care.

Dathiel

• First Class Poster
  • ... Always Triumphs!
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2013, 08:37:02 pm »

When the Sorcerer realizes that Tiernan is disappearing he lets out a roar of outrage.

“I’ll find you no matter where you hide! No matter where you run!” The defiler spews out more curses and spells that will do nothing but destroy various objects in the room, but Tiernan is already outside, and immediately behind to a mostly buried obsidian construct.

The Necrotic energies continue to wreak havoc on Tiernan’s body.

NerdyCanuck

• Global Moderator
  • Board Head
  • GDH Admin/Rehab
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2013, 02:09:54 pm »

Tiernan grunts softly as he completes his Trump teleport. The sheer effort of moving with that necrotic damage ravaging him was immense and he could feel it steadily taking its toll. He almost stumbles but the mere sight of the mostly-buried construct is enough to keep him on his feet. He didn't know what it might take for it to dislodge itself.

He thinks of using one of his other Trumps to secure for himself an easy way home and is even partway to taking them out before he stops himself. oO(I couldn't even use my comm to reach them...from Everwish and there's no telling whether or not I...can get back there...to Betty. What a pain.) He puts them back, checking at the same time whether the amulet was still there.

His only other option was to Shadow Walk, a task made entirely too difficult for his liking by the pain coursing through him. He would have to bear it and try to shed the ongoing effect in some manner as he went. Or collapse trying. He wasn't a big fan of that third option, truth be told.

With those thoughts in mind, Tiernan begins walking  (painfully and away from the construct) and envisioning the necessary changes that would take him away from this desolate place and back to EVerwish. He didn't know how long this Walk might take but truthfully he wouldn't care once everything stopped hurting. If that was even possible.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 03:40:56 pm by Faye »

Dathiel

• First Class Poster
  • ... Always Triumphs!
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2013, 06:52:17 pm »

The amulet, still clutched tightly in his hands until he puts it in his pocket, pulses for a brief moment as Tiernan begins shadow walking.

Despite all the pain he is in from the necrotic energy that is wreaking havoc with him; the scene folds and changes around him until he is back in the church on Everwish.

“I was under the impression you weren't coming back. Can’t tell you how happy I am to be wrong.” This wasn't Betty, but the chaliceborn that called himself Nick. Taller than Tiernan and with dark red hair and dark green eyes, this chaliceborn had been the one to frequently visit and guard Everwish over the last few weeks.

“Betty’s taken a turn for the worse… and you don’t look so good.” Tiernan can feel something akin to an alter pattern manipulation but soon the pain lessens until it is gone completely.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 07:09:08 pm by Rath »

NerdyCanuck

• Global Moderator
  • Board Head
  • GDH Admin/Rehab
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2013, 03:33:09 pm »

That was the most arduous Pattern Walk he could remember. Each step sent pain rippling through him, time and time again. There was nothing he could do but move forward, however. One step after another with the scenery changing all around him in minuscule but incredibly important amounts. Eventually he does make it back to Everwish, though the Amberite couldn't honestly have told anyone how long it took him.

When he sees and hears a figure waiting for him, Tiernan initially thinks that perhaps Avenger had laid a trap for him while he'd been away.  That the Chaliceborn that greeted him was not Avenger but Nick was a pleasant surprise. "Of course...I was coming back. Some lame sorcerer...isn't enough to stop me..." He slouches over somewhat; all that walking had taken its toll and he was nearing his limit. Deep in the back of his mind, a voice murmured that a nap would be rather amazing just then.

His eyes are partway closed when Nick drops his bombshell. Immediately, they flash back open, "We haven't much time then. I have something for her and if you're right, she doesn't have much time to make use of it. Where is she?" Unfortunately his body doesn't seem to want to move just then. Having finally gotten a chance at rest, it was stubbornly rooting itself to the spot. It isn't until an external force (probably Nick!) cures his affliction that he is able to move again. "...thanks."
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 04:08:52 pm by Faye »

Dathiel

• First Class Poster
  • ... Always Triumphs!
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2013, 06:36:41 pm »

“I wouldn’t call Agrippa a ‘lame sorcerer’, in a lot of way’s he’s like you, a cascade that got his hands on the chalice, and now all his cascades are polluted.” Nick seems like he wants to say more but then he just shakes his head and helps the amberite to his feet if he needs it. Nick then leads the way towards Betty in the back room where she is resting.

Nick doesn’t enter the room, instead he seems to stand guard at the door. Bethany’s blind eyes open when she hears people approach. She is wheezing and it seems like every breath is a struggle to stay alive.

“Lad is that you?” her voice is full of hope and earnest.

NerdyCanuck

• Global Moderator
  • Board Head
  • GDH Admin/Rehab
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2013, 03:31:38 pm »

Were Tiernan the sort to be prone to fits of emotion he would have swore just then. As it is, his expression very briefly flickers to one of annoyance. oO(Next time I'm not going to let an old woman's sentimentality get the better of me. I should have killed him and when I saw her next just lied about it. Since when did I become so soft?) He doesn't need help to his feet, but he offers Nick a smile of thanks all the same.

He follows Nick into the back room, unsurprised that the Chaliceborn leaves the two of them relatively alone. "Yeah, it's me. I managed to make it back in one piece." Reaching into his pocket, he pulls out his recent acquisition. "I managed to get the necklace without killing the man that wore it." Bringing it over to Betty, he starts to give it over to her. Naturally, after everything he went through in the Dark Sun system, he is a little wary of what the necklace might do. So he watches. Carefully.

Dathiel

• First Class Poster
  • ... Always Triumphs!
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2013, 06:54:51 pm »

“Oh lad thank you for getting the necklace. And thank you for not killing the man while he wore it, his soul... well I didn’t need to contend with that. Thank you for sparing him, though I knew that realistically he might have had to die after the necklace was off, it means a lot that you spared him completely.” Her voice is gentle as she says this, but as she nears the end of her long sentence she has to take short gasping breaths to continue speaking. She does smile gently though after she is finished.

She fumbles with the necklace for a few moments while putting the necklace on, and while it is being worn, Tiernan can see no change in the necklace.

“Now lad I think it’s time for farewells, you did a lot these last few weeks, and no one can take that from you. Take good care of yourself.” She genuinely looks worried at the thought that the amberite might come to harm for a brief moment.

“Nick my boy, it’s your turn.” The chaliceborn stealthily (despite his massive frame) enters the room and heads towards Betty. “I was your creator and now I entrust you with everything I have boy – make sure this doesn’t go to waste.” She fixes Nick with a stern glare while the chaliceborn nods dutifully.

Those are her last words, she lays back into the bed and one last breath shudders through her body. Tiernan will notice the rough cut red gem glows a sickly green for a brief moment after Betty’s last breath. After the flash of green, the necklace glows with a dark red light, and pulses as if a tiny heart is inside the gem. Nick picks up the necklace quickly as the world of Everwish starts shuddering and breaking apart.

NerdyCanuck

• Global Moderator
  • Board Head
  • GDH Admin/Rehab
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2013, 08:54:52 pm »

"We do what we can with the time that we have, Betty. That's all I did here." Tiernan's voice is warm and kind as he steps aside so that Nick can join his creator. Their exchange is observed and the result noted with keen interest. Clearly, the gem on the necklace was meant for storing souls. But to what end? oO(Ah, so not like the Jewel of Judgement after all, at least not at first glance. Somehow this is meant to mess up Avenger's plans but I can't even guess at how.)

With the world falling apart, Tiernan is keenly aware that he hasn't much time to make good on an escape. "I'd like to know why Betty put her soul in that gem, but I think you and I have to get out of here first. I can get out in a hurry via Trump. What about you? Need a hand?" As he speaks, Tiernan is reaching into his pockets for the Trump that would take him near to the Outpost.

Dathiel

• First Class Poster
  • ... Always Triumphs!
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2013, 03:08:07 pm »

“I’ll follow you.” He says simply, but instead of getting ready to leave, he uses a magic item to set fire to the bed where Betty died. “There are a million and one tricks to get a dead corpse to talk, that’s not going to happen this time.” After setting fire he looks to Tiernan and nods – he is ready to go.

NerdyCanuck

• Global Moderator
  • Board Head
  • GDH Admin/Rehab
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2013, 03:44:53 am »

The Amberite nods, satisfied with how Nick thought of and handled the issue of Betty's body. He liked it when loose ends were tied up like that, unlike a certain sorcerer he had left behind. He frowns at the memory, not wanting to dwell on it overmuch while it was so fresh.

"All right." Tiernan stares at the image on his Trump. As was the case with all of his Trumps it was cool to the touch. Unlike the others, it depicted scenery and not a friend or acquaintance. Painted in delicate, precise strokes was a field of plush, green grass. In the foreground was a lone oak tree while far in the background was the Outpost itself.

The more he stared, the more the image began to shift and distort until it seemed to him to become three dimensional. He steps through once it does which should take him from a crumbling world to what he had come to see as his home. Once there, he'll look back to see if Nick had successfully managed to follow.

Dathiel

• First Class Poster
  • ... Always Triumphs!
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2013, 05:31:50 pm »

Nick manages to follow along just fine, despite the fire and the crumbling world. The necklace is safely stored away (Tiernan did not see where it went to) and Nick emerges onto the grass and looks around. He frowns slightly when he sees how close he is to the outpost.

“Well first things first…” he pulls out a card of his own and mutters something quietly to it. It soon disappears. “I can’t have you running around going after cascades. It’s one thing when Betty chooses you to go, it’s another thing entirely too just blindly leave you on your own.” The next time Tiernan looks at the trump that took him to the Dark Sun World he’ll notice it is now blank. “Now at least if you look for trouble it won’t be on my head.”

“What is it exactly that you wanted to know?”

NerdyCanuck

• Global Moderator
  • Board Head
  • GDH Admin/Rehab
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2013, 05:40:38 pm »

Tiernan allows his amusement to show, "Oh Nick. Yes, I do regret not killing Agrippa when I had the chance, but here's a little thing about me you might not yet realize. I don't go looking for trouble. In my experience, doing so tends to be far too much trouble than its worth." He plucks out the blanked Trump and crushes it in a hand, "Besides, if I really gave a crap about finishing the job I can just as easily paint my own Trump. Of his dungeon no less, to save me the trouble of getting around his defenses. But I don't care."

His amusement fades quickly, "As for what I wanted to know, Betty indicated that this could help stop the Scribe in some way but I can't see how she intends to do that with her soul trapped in a gem. After all the time I spent ensuring that Everwish wasn't going to disappear before we evacuated everyone we could, not to mention the risk I undertook to retrieve that necklace, I think it's fair for me to ask for an explanation of its purpose."

Dathiel

• First Class Poster
  • ... Always Triumphs!
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2013, 06:14:44 pm »

“That’s a very good philosophy to have.” Nick nods approvingly, when Tiernan mentions painting his own trump Nick shrugs. Then the chaliceborn listens carefully as Tiernan explains why he has a right to know what Betty planned.

“Bethany could have been the Scribe, she had been trained, she had the chalice’s favor, and she gave all of that up to save people from collapsing worlds. Avenger would have done anything for some of the knowledge she has. If she died without the necklace… well there are ways to bring spirits back and torture information out of them. She could have used one of the many ways in the systems to make herself immortal, even young again – it’s not exactly the first time a scribe would have gained power by abusing their own creations. She chose the soul gem, and she chose a certain type of soul gem that allows her to communicate with whomever wears it. Eventually she’ll be set free; but…” Nick takes a deep breath and lowers his tones.

“Bethany plans to restart the line of scribes.”
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4