Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Teamwork 101 (open RP)  (Read 7112 times)

NerdyCanuck

• Global Moderator
  • Board Head
  • GDH Admin/Rehab
Re: Teamwork 101 (open RP)
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2013, 04:05:29 pm »

After listening to Gaddez' explanation of the intent behind the mission, Faye inclines her head in a show of respect. "We might have done better, though maybe not. Hard to say in hindsight, really. Disabling the mech in the way we did helped ensure survival, so even knowing what we were about..." Trailing off, she changes thoughts and says instead. "But thank you, Gaddez...for the kind words, that is. And this chance."

Faye shrugs out of her sensor vest and replaces it back where she'd originally found it. Once done, she turns back to her teammates and offers them an apologetic smile. "A group activity sounds nice, but you'll have to forgive me. I need to see someone first. It's...a requirement I had to agree to before I could even participate in this. Might take an hour at most, but I'll need that time before I can join you two...and I'd really like to."

She shifts her weight and looks thoughtful, "Bowling is always nice. Not that I'm any good, but that's my vote." As Rhade's enthusiasm was indeed washing over her in intense, steady waves, Faye found that she couldn't help but give a genuine smile then. For a moment, her earlier worries were easily pushed aside. "I'll see you two in a bit. Comm me to let me know what you've decided."

Provided that no one does or says anything to give her reason to pause, Faye will take her leave.

Rhiann

• Second Class Poster
  • I'm a fox. Want to know more? Just ask.
    • The World of Sau'du
« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2013, 03:15:13 am »

Tracker removes his armor as well, then does a very stereotypical act of full-body-shake to fluff out his fur. Of course, with still wearing his cape and kilt, the act gets more than a bit noisy but fortunately he'd stepped far enough away that nobody is hit by flying fabric. On the other hand, a bit of an aroma now surrounds him.

"I'd be happy to join in the party," he replies once he's loosened up. "However, if you don't mind I think I need to shower first. I'd hate to put a damper on any festivities. Where should I join you?"

You note that he makes no mention of his outcry when the mech exploded.
Rhiann: Priestess of the Web and a powerful Telepath/telekinetic.
Tracker: Bionic fox from an 'alternate' Earth.
Dav: A Worgen (Werewolf) Shaman from the World of Warcraft

Will there be others?

Ashla

• Second Class Poster
  • Rifts affiendo!
« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2013, 08:44:49 pm »

((Pretty much this is the closing for the first RP; I figured doing shorter ones would work better then having a single giant rambling one. Also, since the comic is starting up again, it would be easier for new players to join in during shorter ones :)))

TO: GDH Val Cesoerdo
SUBJECT: Initial test results. I'd send them to the head of education but I can't find him.
Attachment file: Multiple videos of the the training session from various angles

The 3 trainee's (Faye, Rhade, and tracker), have completed the first test that I had constructed for them, and All things considered, they did a good job. Not perfect (Faye was injured). I've decided to include below an initial summation of the guardians in question, as well as what I intend to do to enhance their training.

Tracker: Arguably the trickiest to deal with, since the fox has received extensive commando training in what I'm given to understand is a superhero system. While this provides him with a considerable advantage in that much of what I will be teaching is already known to him, it also means that I need to work through training that he has already received and breakdown notions of being able to charge heroically at an opponent who holds every advantage on him.

Further, in a situation where he was probably the most at home, he deferred leadership to Faye. Determining why he did so is important, but will require a certain amount of tact, since the last thing we want him to do is shut us out.

Suggested training: No immediate changes, but if possible I will try and read any mission logs I can to try and determine his thought process.

Faye: I was aware that Faye had head issues walking into training, but all things considered she acquitted herself well. There were moments where she seemed distracted or that the stress was effecting her, but it didn't critically influence her performance. In fact, she wound up sliding into a position of leadership; something I had expected Tracker to do.

Interestingly, she was the only guardian to be injured in the exercise, but the reasons for this was that she was acting in support of tracker who (as simulations revealed after the fact) would have brutally put down by the Firestarter battlemech that I pitted them against in the simulation.

Suggested training: Since Faye has shown an interest in doing so, I would like to begin giving her training in leadership and supply her with a copy of The Art of War. This will increase the stress that she is under and speed up the shifts in her mental state until they reach their ultimate conclusion.

While it undoubtedly sounds callous to push her until she either breaks or pulls herself together, there are a few advantages to doing so:
  • She is going to do this eventually anyways.
  • Doing it this way will resolve the issue more quickly
  • If she breaks down it's better it happens in training then in the field.
  • It's entirely possible that Faye isn't pulling it together because their isn't real impetus for her to do so while she lives in the outpost.
  • I've dealt with soldiers who were breaking down from shell shock and PTSD, so I can help her if she is willing to talk to me.
  • It may be necessary for her to breakdown before she can get better.

Again, I understand the risks of proceeding in this way, but feel that it is in the best interests of everyone involved to do so. If you don't trust me to do so however, I will stand down.

Rhade: Some commanders would consider him a blight. I look at him and see nothing but potential, since he has a combination of absurd power and seemingly zero combat experience. This means that as long as he is willing to listen and learn, he has exceptional potential as a student and guardian away team member.

While he was critical of himself during the fight (and me later on), I can't fault his actions, since he did everything right; distracting the mech, following the last set of instructions, undermining the street, withdrawing to avoid injury... All of it was reasonable, logical, and at times even clever. If he continues to perform like this, he will be an extremely valuable guardian.

Hell, he even had the stones to bitch me out when he thought it would screw him over at the end and being able to do (as well as knowing when to do) so is a valuable skill in it's own right.

Suggested training: Rhade has expressed an interest in learning to handle himself better in close combat, and to that end I've suggested that his teammates help show him some moves (this also has the benefit of strengthening the ties between them). That having been said, I would like for him to be set up with some time for martial arts training both to teach him the skills he needs and to increase his sense of confidence.

Off the top of my head, the two styles that would probably work best for him are either Tai chi (Which offers mental training as well as a fairly complete armed and unarmed combat training) or jujutsu (Which is a style designed for small people to take down much bigger people).

NerdyCanuck

• Global Moderator
  • Board Head
  • GDH Admin/Rehab
« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2013, 02:53:57 pm »

To: Gaddez Darkmoor
Cc: Bruin, GSS Education & Training
Re: Initial test results.

Well done on the execution of your first training exercise.  With regards to the individual trainees themselves, I have a few comments I would like to make.

Tracker
From both the provided videos and your report, I am concerned with the penchant Tracker displayed for charging at such an overpowering enemy. I agree with your assessment that such needs to be dealt with.

That he deferred to Faye is no surprise to me; that seems to be a common habit among newer Guardians. I believe that of the three, Faye has been with us the longest and her records indicate that she has had prior leadership training. It may be that Tracker's instincts picked up on that and he was simply following who he felt was the natural leader. That said, bringing it up with him would of course be good in that it would be a shame were his own potential leadership talents to go to waste.

Faye
I would advise that you follow through on your offer to talk to her prior to, or in tandem with, you truly pushing her. Although I give my approval to your plan, there is a certain amount of understanding of why she has this condition that may be needed in approaching this. Get to know the ins and outs of the mission that led to her current state and attempt to discuss it with her.

Rhade
Offer him a choice between Tai Chi and Jujitsu; perhaps he may be ambitious enough to learn them both. We have members in your department that are capable of training him on whichever he chooses. Either of those in combination with what he may learn from Tracker of Faye will do wonders to not only enable him to fight effectively hand-to-hand, but also instill upon him a certain degree of confidence.

--

All in all, well done on both the training as well as your assessment of the individuals that participated. I think you are correct in your views and I strongly encourage you to keep at them all. They can only benefit if you do.

Rhiann

• Second Class Poster
    • The World of Sau'du
« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2013, 05:30:14 pm »

About an hour after the group heads to their separate 'showers', Rhade gets a page through his communicator. "Tracker here. Where should we meet for this 'party' Gaddez recommended?"

Will there be others?

Dathiel

• First Class Poster
  • ... Always Triumphs!
« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2013, 03:09:03 pm »

((OOC: Many apologies Rhiann, but Ashla ended the thread at the beginning of his last post. I would like to thank everyone for making this an awesome RP! it was very cool to participate in this thread! :D )

Ashla

• Second Class Poster
  • Rifts affiendo!
« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2013, 09:26:08 pm »

I do intend to do a few more of these, just gotta figure out what one would be best to go for :)

Rhiann

• Second Class Poster
    • The World of Sau'du
« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2013, 09:52:24 pm »

While I will grant that the 'event' was completed with Ashla's post, the thread was left open (seemingly) to allow for a semi-private after-training party. Rather than trying to start an all-new thread just for the party, I figured adding it here would be a simple and easy location to continue the relationship as a 'team building' exercise.

Of course, if everyone else agrees that this thread is closed, then who am I to argue?

Will there be others?

NerdyCanuck

• Global Moderator
  • Board Head
  • GDH Admin/Rehab
« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2013, 12:43:19 pm »

Well, I took the final post to mean we were done. In fact, I had thought us probably done with the fade-out we did prior to the exchange of memorandums between Gaddez and Val. It seemed a tidy wrap-up, which is in part why I took so long to get to my memo post.

It seemed implied to me that they would be doing the social gathering off-screen and I apologize that my assumption of such was not made clearer. Although I do like the idea of social RPs, I'm not particularly inclined towards them at the moment due to my current limitations in time. I have another RP in mind that I would like to be doing in the near future and once that starts, I think I will be full up on RPs for the next little bit.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 02:28:21 pm by Faye »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]