Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Teamwork 101 (open RP)  (Read 7111 times)

Ashla

• Second Class Poster
  • Rifts affiendo!
Teamwork 101 (open RP)
« on: November 01, 2012, 04:39:06 pm »

Gaddez was seated with his feet up inside of one of the meeting rooms looking like he was more ready to take a nap then to teach a combat centric course. After everyone has been seated, He'll open his eyes and look over the class before speaking.

"Welcome, to teamwork 101. Val asked me to run this course because he has noticed that as an organization, we tend to suck at teamwork. We have, as an organization relied more on a combination of power, deus ex machina and blind stupid luck to succeed at our job. While that can work (and has to one degree or another for the last few years), the fact remains that we are being faced with threats more powerful then any we have seen in the past and the simple truth that luck runs out.

"The point of this course, is to try and get people to fight smarter, not harder. By teaching you 3 how to fight as a team and not simply as individuals in proximity to each other, It is the hope of the education department that the guardians will be able to deal with opposition more easily then simply face rolling your powers and abilities at them until they fall down. Further, it is hoped that what is taught here will spread to other guardians that you work with and improve the well fare of the organization as a whole.

Taking his feet off the desk, Gaddez leans forward so that what he says will take on a more personal weight for his 3 students.

"One thing I'm going to warn all of you about with regards to the training is that I am not going to be nice or gentle with it; training will be based on either likely scenario's or ones that have occured in the history of the primary. All of them will be challenging. None of them are impossible.

"There will also be three field tests, that will take place in the systems since I need to know that what is being taught is taking hold. The first will test your ability to work as part of a larger team to accomplish an overarching objective. The second will test your ability to adapt to a progressively more challenging combat scenario. The third, will pit you against an opponent that is at least my equal and arguably better then me with regards to to light infantry tactics.

"Now with all of that having been said, I am going to make you all a few promises."

"First, I will never teach something that I don't believe to be true. Second, I will never have you do something that I would not be prepared to do myself. Third none of these Scenarios are impossible; they will challenge you, surprise you and may very well seem ridiculously unfair but they can all be done by a team that is clever and cautious and not merely powerful."

"Questions?"
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 02:16:50 am by Ashla »

Rhiann

• Second Class Poster
  • I'm a fox. Want to know more? Just ask.
    • The World of Sau'du
Re: Teamwork 101
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 08:46:39 pm »

Tracker --

(Oops--originally posted wrong character. Apologies if you read that before I changed it.)

Having noticed the wide variety of species types in Outpost, Tracker chooses a seat somewhat close to Gaddez, but leaves room for others to sit closer should they choose. While his torso is bare, a plain, olive-green kilt hangs from waist to knees with a sporran hanging from a Sam Browne-style belt in front and hard leather pouches with twist-locks occupy the entire circumference except where a strangely-shaped holster rests at his left hip designed to hold its weapon butt-forward in a cross-draw posture. Around his neck is buckled a heavy fabric collar to which a bright yellow cape hangs behind his shoulders and down below his belt.

His ears twitch with each extraneous sound in the room as Gaddez speaks and when asked if there are any questions his ears scan towards the others. There's something... unnatural about the fox's eyes, though. For those who haven't met him before, at first glance they seem normal, but he has a habit of staring while the pupils change diameter which could be upsetting in close company.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 08:59:53 pm by Rhiann »
Rhiann: Priestess of the Web and a powerful Telepath/telekinetic.
Tracker: Bionic fox from an 'alternate' Earth.
Dav: A Worgen (Werewolf) Shaman from the World of Warcraft

Will there be others?

Dathiel

• First Class Poster
  • ... Always Triumphs!
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 10:42:12 pm »

Rhade, being a new recruit does not have much in the way of questions; instead he is soaking up as much information as he can.

He looks mostly human, almost six feet tall, pale skin with green unreal markings along his arms, aqua green eyes and teal hair with dark blue streaks.  He was wearing a green and white shirt with black pants and sandals.

Rhade was familiar with unreal luck, so the concept of an entire organization relying on luck frightened him.  That Gaddez was emphasizing cleverness was not lost on Rhade, and in fact it made him feel a little bit scared. He knew what true intelligence was like, and sadly he did not have it, only moderate amounts.

When Gaddez finishes Rhade thinks real hard to see if he did have a question, but he didnít know if he had a question or not. Since he did not know if he had a question he looks to the others to see if they bring something up.

NerdyCanuck

• Global Moderator
  • Board Head
  • GDH Admin/Rehab
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 02:59:54 pm »

Faye sits quietly with her hands clasped in her lap. Her gaze, a mixture of apprehension and determination, is fixed squarely on Gaddez. To be sure, she had acknowledged Tracker and Rhade when she'd entered the meeting room, even greeting them both as warmly as she could. But just then, as Gaddez explained the purpose of their gathering and what they might expect from it, her attention was only for him.

For once, Faye is actually wearing a standard issue uniform by way of a green/white coat over top of a black shirt and pants ensemble. This matched quite well with her silvery, platinum hair and pale, ivory skin. Providing a nice contrast were her icy blue eyes - Tracker may remember them as being hazel the last time they'd met. In fact, though she seems to appear the same there are subtle differences in appearance that speak of a change having happened.

Faye sucks in a quick breath when Gaddez finishes. "...I don't have a question, but I do have something to say." Her hands part as one comes to rest on the tabletop. Those that had particularly good perception might notice the very subtle shake to it that Faye herself isn't quite aware of. "I'm not yet cleared for missions but...I need to get back on the horse and I think this might be a good way to get ready for that. I'll do my best, but I think you should know before we start this that I'm not quite...all right yet."

Ashla

• Second Class Poster
  • Rifts affiendo!
Re: Teamwork 101 (open)
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 10:03:07 pm »

Gaddez notes the lack of commentary from Rhade and Tracker, and turns his attention to Faye.

"Faye, I'm not a member of the medical department or a trained psychologist, but I do understand a bit about how to help folks when their head is screwed up from one thing or another. I wouldn't have been able to keep my crew together for as long as I did back home If I didn't know how to talk to people who are cracking from the pressure."

"Anytime you feel the need to talk to me before or after a training excercise I'll be there. That goes for all of you."

"So, before I go into deeper philosophy or practical excercises, why don't we all introduce ourselves, and give a mention of our personal aptitudes and weaknesses and what it is that people want out of the course.

"My strength, is that I fought for years on rifts earth, an ultra violent setting that pitted me against everything from giant robots to things straight out of Lovecraft. I built a team of mercenaries from nothing to roughly 100 members that included psychics, demons, cyborgs, magic users, super heroes and common folk. I took on jobs that larger more heavily armed crew's rejected and consistently won.

"My weakness, is that I don't bull s*** people. I say what I mean and I mean what I say. This has on more occasions then I can count grinded on other people in the outpost who prefer that dialogue be carried in a more artful courtly tone and that their rank and whatever else be afforded the utmost respect even when what they are saying is dangerous, stupid and/or short sighted."

"Who wants to go next?"

Dathiel

• First Class Poster
  • ... Always Triumphs!
Re: Teamwork 101 (open RP)
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 03:16:32 pm »

Rhade will stand up as next person to introduce himself. He smiles brightly at everyone.

ďIím Rhade Shallowend.Ē Why was he nervous? Heíd done far more embarrassing things in front of people than talking about himself. 

ďMy strengths are built around entertaining people, Iím good at talking. Iím also really good at minor elemental unreal manipulation so naturally Iíve trained up my metaphysical resistances too. I had a large family and a racial disposition towards bureaucracy. Back home I was never really part of a team or anything, and since I am a new recruit here I signed up because I want to learn how to do things the right way. I have been trained to use the Narion Conclaves class D type weapons which means I can use a bow and hand blasters, but Iím not terribly good at them. Iíve also trained for stealth.Ē He pauses for a breath.

ďAs for what I am bad at; I canít lift my own body weight I get tired in physical exercises quickly Ė unless itís swimming, I can probably swim circles around all of you- just not for long. I tend to collapse like a house of cards if I get hit, and I donít have the endurance for heavier armor. Also...Ē he pauses for a brief moment because he is unsure how to put this next part. ďIf Iím ever exposed to extreme heat for long periods of time... itís not pretty. True death would be preferable to rotting away in waking death.Ē

Not sure what else to say for the moment heíll sit down and let someone else take a turn.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 03:19:21 pm by Rath »

Rhiann

• Second Class Poster
    • The World of Sau'du
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 03:25:04 am »

"I am called Tracker. My full name is Jon Redd and I'm from a paper & pencil RPG world based on Heros, Champions and the older Superworld. My strengths are that I'm bionic--powered by a small, nuclear device called a Batacitor--combination battery and capacitor. That device is also one of my weaknesses, because while it is sufficient for long-endurance low-output tasks such as those I was designed for, I will exhaust its charge inside of fifteen minutes at maximum output--which could challenge even some of the strongest natural individuals here, I believe. Being bionic, I'm fast enough to pace a car on the highway, strong enough to lift that car's drive wheels off the ground and capable of remaining in an airless environment for about an hour or longer, depending on conditions. I'm also a planner.

My real weakness is that while I'm well experienced in working with groups, my design and skills are meant for solo espionage and infiltration. As such, I'm better in a supporting role rather than a leadership role. I'm still not fully comfortable with being seen in public in a primarily human environment and quite honestly will be less likely to do things where I would be plainly visible to noncombatants. I guess you could see it as trying to hide my 'secret identity' even though I don't have one.

(Note: Tracker is unaware of the holo-disguise devices available to the Guardians and even if he gets one issued, will likely forget that he possesses it even when it's turned on. At least, for a while he will.)

Will there be others?

NerdyCanuck

• Global Moderator
  • Board Head
  • GDH Admin/Rehab
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 02:05:10 am »

"...thank you, Gaddez." Faye manages a slight smile. Her voice, though not exactly rife with confidence, has a measured note to it, "I hope I don't offend you when I say I hope I don't find a reason to take you up on that." That done, she settles slightly into her chair and listens both to the rest of what Gaddez had to say, as well as the responses her other trainees had to give.

Her turn arrives and like Rhade, she stands. "I'm Faye Rivera." She bends at the waist in a partial bow, continuing only when she straightens. "My strengths are...varied, I suppose you could say. I was raised to fight as a warrior, though until recently my strengths weren't so much physical strength as it was speed and skill. I've also been trained to navigate courtly intrigue, though I'd be lying if I said I had any real talent for it."

Her smile falters slightly but she presses on, "I have a slew of new powers I'm still getting used to. I...can take on incorporeal form, I can conjure up weapons from seemingly out of nowhere, and I can regenerate. As for what exactly I can do besides that, I think we'll be here a while if I go through the whole list." She looks momentarily apologetic before moving into the next point of interest, that being her weaknesses.

"...I'm weak to extreme heat, like Rhade here. Not only that, but I'm also susceptible to radiant energy. Technically, I'm...undead..." Her mouth sets in a grim line as she abruptly changes track, "I can be hurt to the point of distraction if the weapons I conjure are destroyed. I've also got a habit of being obsessive in my pursuit of justice, or what I think to be justice, a fact which has come back to bite me on a couple of occasions."

She hated admitting to her obsessive nature, but recent experiences spoke of a need to be honest on that front.

Ashla

• Second Class Poster
  • Rifts affiendo!
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 04:59:09 pm »

Gaddez nods his head as he listens to the team give an honest summation of there abilities. Not everyone liked to discuss their vulnerabilities and weaknesses, especially not in the presence of people they likely didn't know very well.

"Good. We've all heard each other speak about what we bring to the table, and because of that you will hopefully have a better idea of what you can do to help cover other peoples vulnerabilities while they cover for yours."

"Before we go any further, I figured it would be a good idea to show you folks what I was able to pull together for us to work as our training area."

Standing up, Gaddez will motion for the team to follow him out of the room and towards a nearby elevator.

"Out of curiosity, is there anything anyone wants to work on in particular? I already have an idea of what all I want to teach, but it would be good to know what you folks want to work on as well.

Rhiann

• Second Class Poster
    • The World of Sau'du
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 05:04:28 pm »

Tracker nods at Faye's assessment of herself and adds, "I guess I need to add that I tend to act a little rashly when I see an animal being abused. I broke several car windows in my system to rescue overheated dogs and once carried a badly shot-up cougar to a human auto-doc for healing against the 'advice' of my superior. I was born of fox and alien genes and I guess I developed a natural antipathy towards seeing animals harmed."

"Speaking of heat, while I'm not weak to it like you two are, it does cause me to... 'express' a rather pungent aroma that can be quite offensive to some. I keep it under control by bathing frequently or you would be smelling me even now but if I have to go an extended period--well, it may not be as strong as a skunk's spray, but it doesn't smell all that much different, either."

After Gaddez' comment Tracker shakes his head. "We had a 'Danger Room' in our FORCE base for the same purpose of helping develop teamwork. I'm glad to see you have something similar. Maybe I can make some suggestions after we finish this training."
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 05:09:43 pm by Rhiann »

Will there be others?

Dathiel

• First Class Poster
  • ... Always Triumphs!
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 03:56:22 am »

While the importance of sharing vital information with his teammates made sense to Rhade, part of him was downright flabbergasted at Trackerís recent additions to his list of strengthís and weaknesses.  Rhade felt no such compunction in withholding certain personal and private details.

Focusing on following Gaddez to the elevator he decides to speak up.

ďI wouldnít mind doing some melee self defense, Iíve never had much in the way of actual strength...Ē Now he was just repeating himself. Shaking his head heíll continue following Gaddez.

Occasionally though he will steal a glance at Faye.

NerdyCanuck

• Global Moderator
  • Board Head
  • GDH Admin/Rehab
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2012, 01:07:28 am »

Faye rises slowly from her seat, her eyes looking back and forth between the other trainees. She opened her mouth as if to speak, but closes it and instead simply nods her agreement. oO(Knowing one another's weaknesses will help. I think I've a good idea of what role within this group might be as we train.) Quietly, she files away that thought for later.

Out the room they go with Faye taking up the rear. "...I just want to..." She trails off and frowns slightly. For a moment, she looks decidedly distant and then angry. Her hands, which she didn't notice had become sweaty, ball into fists. And then just like that, her expression melts away into embarrassment. "...I...just want to get back into things. Nothing in particular, just anything, really."

oO(Cevy....) She told herself, smiling for the sake of any of the others that might be glancing her way, (I couldn't have heard you just now. You...you're dead. Rath killed you and I'm not really hearing you. I'm just nervous, that's all. I should probably hit up Doctor Easton for some chess later. It...it'll calm me.)

Ashla

• Second Class Poster
  • Rifts affiendo!
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 03:52:59 am »

Gaddez nods his head to Rhade as he inquires about melee training. "I'm not the best when things get in close, but I've been in enough barroom brawls to know something about putting fist to face. I'll see to teaching you about fighting in close, and these other two can probably show you more..."

Once the guardians are in the elevator, gaddez punches a code into a number pad, and the elevator whisks the guardians down, deep into the earth on a trip that seems to go for quite some time before the doors open to an utterly cavernous chamber; the lights that come up reveal that the room is big enough to contain an NFL stadium and the parking lot for the audience. Interestingly, the room appears to be devoid of anything other then a rack with some odd looking vests and some sort of overhead room that is sitting on a set of perpendicular rails.

"You talk about a Danger room Tracker: What we have here is the 'playground'. It is a bleeding edge tech training facility that makes older training suites look down right crude. It uses a combination of star trek holographic and Borderlands digistruct technology to create in about a minute any environment and populate it with appropriate critters.

Walking over to the rack, gaddez will pull one out to show to the trainees. "These, are sensor vests, each one is set to one of you and will do double duty by letting the playground's critters know your relative location and also simulating injury; get shot in the leg and you'll feel it to a certain degree even as your muscles (or bionics in your case Tracker) don't work so good."

"This thing right here" Gaddez says as he points to a gold grip on the right breast of the vest, "is what the tech's have reffered to as 'the wimp key'. If you feel that you can't handle an excercise then yank it out and the system will ignore you since it will read you as having ceased to exist. That having been said, I would advise that you not do this unless absolutely neccesasry since it is for all intents and purposes an auto fail on the excercise and doing it on a regular basis is all but admitting that you need to reconsider your membership in this organization."

"So: Who's ready to try the first excercise," Gaddez asks with a grin.

Rhiann

• Second Class Poster
    • The World of Sau'du
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 11:45:13 pm »

Tracker studies the overall complex and if you look closely enough you could see his eyes--twisting, as he uses telescopic and three different light-frequency sensors to view the facilities (visible, infrared and ultraviolet.)

"Definitely the same type of concept even if it does use different technologies. Would I be permitted to ask if it includes physical as well as virtual constructs? Would, for instance, I feel the solid impact of blade on steel if I hit a vehicle or armored target? Would a missile or bullet hit with enough impact to tell me I'd been struck--say like some older technology's so-called 'rubber bullets'?"

He glances at the others.

"I admit I'm not accustomed to a system as high-tech as this appears so I really don't know what to expect, but the system I did work with played with all five senses by frequently using real weapons at non-lethal power. An Abrams tank might be firing a blank, but at a range like what I see here, just the gas from the shot would be enough to knock even me down in a 'kill', though Tank would have shrugged off even an armor-piercing round."

Will there be others?

NerdyCanuck

• Global Moderator
  • Board Head
  • GDH Admin/Rehab
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2012, 04:05:24 pm »

"Gaddez is right, Rhade. That's something I can help you with, but it's worth noting that I'm more able to teach close combat with weapons than without. I had some...old fashioned training, you could say." Her smile becomes a little less forced and a touch more genuine as she says that, though the difference between the to might be difficult to tell. There's also a slight note of fondness to her voice.

It isn't until they reach their destination that Faye speaks again. "...Gods..." The single word is barely a whisper, so awed was she by the expansiveness of the training room that they would be using. "...I've used the smaller training rooms, but this...this is immense..." She moves forward, her head moving back and forth as she takes in the sheer size of the place. Already, her mind was wondering at the sorts of scenarios Gaddez had in store for them.

At Tracker's question, she stops and looks at him over her shoulder, "Tracker, if this is anything like the smaller rooms you should definitely prepare to feel the impact of whatever hits you. I think this is meant to feel as real as possible without actually killing us." She looks to Gaddez for confirmation of that before picking up the sensor vest that had been marked for her use.

"I'm ready."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5