Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Newcomer's Thread  (Read 2200 times)

Blob

• Neutral Guest
Newcomer's Thread
« on: March 01, 2009, 05:45:53 pm »

So you found our little hangout here, and you want to join in the RP goodness.  Well, friend, I can't say I blame you.  Go right ahead.

Oh, wait, you want to know what you have to do? Well, why didn't you say so?  Anyway, you don't actually HAVE to do anything, since it's not like we can arrest you for failure to RP well.  However, there are some things you can do to make your time here go more smoothly (and make your GM less likely to kill you out of sheer annoyance).

1. Make an RP profile. Think of the RP profile as your character sheet, if you're familiar with tabletop gaming.  Basically, it tells the GM and all other players what they need to know about your character.  Post it on the Character Information board.  This is probably the most important step.

2. Place a link to your profile in your sig. This is almost as important as step 1.

3. Do an Intro. This can be done in the Outpost thread (which can usually be found at the top of this forum). You can also make your own thread, should you wish for something beyond, "Hi, my name's Earl, and I want to be a Gaming Guardian." An intro is not a requirement, but if you choose not to do an intro, don't be surprised if you get funny looks the first time you show up for a briefing.  Intros can be very brief, with just a simple meet-and-greet, or they can be very long, lasting for months.  They can also, obviously, be anywhere in between.

Once you've intro'd, hop into the RP of your choice. A few notes regarding politeness in joining.

• Observe the status listed in the thread title.   
  • If it's just starting and it says it's open, just hop in.
  • If it says it's closed, that means no further players are allowed. Please don't post to that thread. It's rude and disruptive.
  • If its topic title says it's open but the RP looks like it's well on its way, PM the GM (usually the thread starter) to ask if you can join in. "Semi-closed" or "semi-open" threads mean the GM is specifically asking that you do this if you wish to join.

Now you're probably asking, "Hey Blob, how do I make a link to my profile?" Well, friends, I'm here for you.  First, I need to explain that there are two types of profiles.  The first is your forum profile; you get one with each login.  It contains stuff like your post count, whatever personal information you choose to give, etc.  The other is your RP profile, and this is what virtually everyone will mean when they refer to "your profile." 

To start, go to the Character Information board (see the link I posted earlier?).  Click "New Topic" on the top right corner of your screen.  This will start a new thread, which will be your RP profile.  Put in all the information you think others should know about your character.  Once you're done, insert the link to your RP profile into your signature.  To access your signature, click the "Profile" tab at the top of the forum. This will take you to your forum profile.  On the left, you'll see a box with a series of options.  Click the one that says "Forum Profile Information."  If you scroll down, you'll see one that says "Signature."  Put the link to your RP profile here.

To find the link for your RP profile, access it.  At the top of your screen, you'll see something that looks like this: http://tgg.stormdragon.org/index.php?topic=15.0

This is the URL for your profile.  Cut and paste that (or copy and paste it, same difference) into the box for your signature. You now have a link to your RP profile in your signature.

Now, you've got the link, and you're saying, "Willikers! That's great, Blob, but how do I do those neat-o keen links that say 'Blob's Profile?'" Well, I'll answer that question, too, but only if you promise never to say "neat-o keen" again. Here's whatcha do:

You've got your link: http://tgg.stormdragon.org/index.php?topic=15.0

At the beginning of the link, add "URL=" then add a bracket to the beginning and end of the link. Then type "Earl's Profile" or whatever you want it to say. After you get done, type "/URL" and put THAT in brackets. Now, your link should look like this:

{URL=http://tgg.stormdragon.org/index.php?topic=15.0]Sample Profile[/URL]

The only difference is, you'll want to replace my "{" with a "[" to get the forum to do that awesome link magic. It should look like this once you post:
Sample Profile

There ya go, friend. That's the basics for getting started. Be sure to read the other stuff to get a feel for how to RP well.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 06:59:26 pm by Blob »