Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: GG Explanations needed, please?  (Read 24456 times)

TheBritt

• Forum Recruit
    • http://www.theimperium.org
GG Explanations needed, please?
« on: January 31, 2009, 06:14:03 am »

Okay, I haven't been involved with the GGs for ages (I was always more Powergamers anyway). This has left me out of the loop. A lot. As a PGer we had a loose system with just two ranks above 'member' and that was 'lead' and 'field lead'. Here on GG there are so many ranks and terms I don't get. I have no idea what people involved in certain operation departments do, or why they're there for that matter. I'm also pretty sure there's terminology that I don't know too (one that comes to mind is R&D).

Perhaps the KIOSC is missing just such a thread? A complete explanation of GG terminology. There are other things that have always been a little confusing in some ways, like the Conversion Matrix (I think it was called). Things like that could do with explaining too.

Think of me as a newbie :p. As it stands I think the forum is pretty unfriendly for new people. (not it's members mind, just they shouldn't have to ask each time they need info)

Gebohq

• Junior Grade Poster
Re: GG Explanations needed, please?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 11:32:30 am »

I don't think I can be much help, but I am one for seeing about trying to rebuild this community more.  That's going to need a way to draw in new members, and that means we'll need to make the intro-resource-sticky threads as user-friendly as possible.  Let's see if I can at least answer some of your stuff to the best of my knowledge.

The different departments are more or less all the 'boring' parts of the Gaming Guardians operation that it requires to keep going -- Administration takes care of paperwork and digging up information and education/training, Security keeps the Outpost GG HQ safe inside and out, and Operations covers some of the more miscellaneous stuff like medical, logistics (inventory) and Research and Development (R&D).  Anybody and everybody still goes on missions to stop things that aren't supposed to happen in gaming systems, but they all need a 'day job' to pull their weight in the whole organization as well.

Conversion Matrixes are just plot devices on characters either to "translate" the character properly into the gaming system their mission sends them or to keep them protected from any "translation" at all.  Like everything else, they're meant to facilitate fun and roleplaying, not to adhere to a strict code of a "GG universe" or whatnot.

Someone feel more than free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Janus

• RPG Collector Supreme
  • Administrator
  • First Class Poster
  • "I'll explain that later."
    • Gamer's End RP Wiki
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 08:15:52 pm »

It's true.  The terminology of the Gaming Guardians RP community could use some indexing and explanation.  While there are some of us working on a Wiki for this, it helps to know what people have questions on and what people say the answers are.  So!  Please, keep asking on this and people please chime in.  The more talk we get on stuff like this, the more the "Help File" writers have to work with and cover.
Doctor Hugo Easton - Mad SCIENCE!
Webhunter - College Student Werewolf
Azure Reg - Shadowrun Thief & British Mutant

Learn about them all by finding my links right HERE

Wirrit

• Forum Recruit
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 12:36:49 pm »

Hm.  I think that on the old forum, -somewhere-, there was a GG Glossary thread -- all the basic terms one would ever need to know for GG RP, albeit no explanation of the various departments.

Anyone know if that thread is archived ?

TheBritt

• Forum Recruit
    • http://www.theimperium.org
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 06:53:02 am »

Cheers Geb :D. Very useful info! :)

It's true.  The terminology of the Gaming Guardians RP community could use some indexing and explanation.  While there are some of us working on a Wiki for this, it helps to know what people have questions on and what people say the answers are.  So!  Please, keep asking on this and people please chime in.  The more talk we get on stuff like this, the more the "Help File" writers have to work with and cover.

Excellent to hear. As I say, the main thing is terminology. A link to all of the various abbreviations would be good. I don't even know what KIOSC actually stands for (if anything). It mightn't be all that important since it's obviously the help forum, but still I think it should be explained somewhere.

Of course a complete listing of all the GG official gadgetry would be useful too. I'm certain there's more than just the Conversion Matrixes out there. Like the teleporter... thing.

The rooms on the Outpost would be good too. I know the idea is to keep things free and open, but I'm sure there's some general consensus as to what each of the rooms look like/function/etc. I mean I don't want to walk in and say there's a bright pink carpet and green furniture, unless there really would be that there.

I think Wirrit has just mentioned a thread about running a GG specific RP. Something like that might be helpful. There's the whole 'meeting room' and discussion of the mission, mission procedure and other things that I might want to consider before running an RP. It mightn't be necessary to even use such things but then some people do use them and I might want to, but don't really know how I'm meant to.

From the ranking system, I see that there is a kind of system to place certain characters 'in charge' during a mission, which makes sense, but how do you choose when all the ranks are the same? Do the players/characters just choose amongst themselves? Or is it just upto the GM?

As a small side note. My only GG characters are former Powergamers. I haven't actually used them in the GGs at all but really want to. Are there any sort of considerations I should think about due to their past time in the PGs?

[edit] Oh and is there a list of official NPCs at all?

Research & Development.  We're the branch of the Guardians that figures out new and interesting ways to use System technology and magic for the benefit of the Guardians, as well as research into how things work in the first place.

Hope you don't mind me quoting your PM in here, Janus?

By the sounds of this there must be some 'official' tech then, what about official magic then? I understand that there's going to be tech/magic specific to characters and situations but from this research division there must be a kind of official GG list. The ones that are emplyed regularly?

[another edit] Sorry, you're probably regretting letting me ask questions now :p

The departments. Maybe we should have an explanation as to what exactly each entails.

Clerical = this is just paperwork, right?

Education = of new GG recruits? I'd like to know a little more about this. Do all GGs have to have gone through GG education? Do you run education RPs?

Intel = Intelligence. Obvious I suppose on the face of it. But basically I guess that these spies are living in gaming systems?

R&D = Has now been explained to me :p

Logistics = I have no idea what this is. Sorry if I seem dense, by the way. >_>;

Medical = Okay, fine obvious.

External Security = So this is security in the gaming systems, right? Are there offical patrols? Do I, as a player, simply decide where my character is patrolling?

Internal Security = Easy, again, I guess.

Special Operations = Uh... assassinations!? o_0. I have no idea what this is either :p.

As nice as it would be to answer all of these questions in here, I think it might be more useful to have such things in relevant threads someplace? At least, depending on how close to completion this wiki is.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 07:11:36 am by TheBritt »

Janus

• RPG Collector Supreme
  • Administrator
  • First Class Poster
    • Gamer's End RP Wiki
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 01:51:16 pm »

Here's a few short answers for before I go to work this morning:

Logistics - Deals with the tasks of running internal services like the Cafeteria, Janitorial, basic repair maintainance, Motorpool, and the Quartermaster's.  If you need some mundane task done or equipment ordered/found, these are the guys to talk to.

Intel - Spies, analysts, and people that know the ins and outs of System minutia.  There are field agents that will have prolonged stays in certain Systems, but there aren't enough to cover every single place.  To this end, often other story-strong means (such as scanning tech-based Systems news reports, comparing different fantasy-based Systems for variations in what's heard in the streets, etc.) are used to start info-gathering by Intel to get a good picture of what's happening for others.

Official NPCs - Since there are no Official GMs, there's not much use for official NPCs.  Characters like Philor the Paperwork Demon have become an established fixture of the Outpost play, but any other NPCs that there are referenced are usually the favored creations of individual Players when they need to reference something and don't have anyone else on hand with an appropriate "main character".  Also, many players will develop a side list of personal NPCs for use in play.  They are often characters that you don't plan on paying much attention to but are good to have for those times when others need to talk to someone that's very specialized in what they do.

This has been a public service message from the Gaming Guardians, and Players That Have Been Playing an Awful Long Time.

NerdyCanuck

• Global Moderator
  • Board Head
  • GDH Admin/Rehab
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 04:48:48 pm »

Education = of new GG recruits? I'd like to know a little more about this. Do all GGs have to have gone through GG education? Do you run education RPs?

Education - This covers a pretty broad range of things. As you suggested, it covers education of new GG recruits. It also covers education of newly aware Systemites that wish to stay in Primary, as well as those that require rehabilitation. (The latter is done in conjunction with the other departments, to a degree.) I've also always figured that Education also covers general "how-to" courses that Guardians and Guests of any level could participate in. Subjects covered can be anything from acclimation to Primary, weapons and combat training, etc. Basically, anything that people might need to learn how to do or need to know could be covered by Education.

I think it's generally accepted that all GGs have to go through some amount of Education/Training. Without it, I don't figure that anyone would be allowed on missions.

There haven't been many Education-specific RPs. A lot of what's covered by Education is stuff that I've noticed tends to be done in the background, though that's not to say that there couldn't be Education RP if someone wanted it.

Balance

• Guardian Archivist
  • Junior Grade Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 06:55:25 pm »

Clerical Yes, it is largely paperwork, for handling the filing of reports and issuing the paperwork and forms people need to fill out. But the department is also by and large the one that deals with the Outposts finances so that people get paid for wages/allowances/bills, etc.  The department has a PR sub-section last I checked so as to keep the Outpost in a good light with the general populous and to handle the media for the events that happen in the Primary, and possibly the events that need PR coverage insystem, for the systems that need it.

Drathari

• Neutral Guest
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 01:00:57 am »

Special Operations: These guys often overlap with Intel quite a bit. But have a more military approach to how they accomplish their goals. SpecOps is used in situations where a spy cannot be inserted(though many are trained in such behaviors). They are mostly used as small teams with each person filling a role. Mission Impossible style is a very good example.(I am referring to the old series not Movie's one man show). Spec Ops are the types that work in guerrilla warfare. While the Guardians rarely have to fight a long standing entrenched war the dept still exists with those within trained for these types of roles that helps with the execution of other mission. And as stated while there is an overlap SpecOps and Intel do try their best to not step on each others toes and keep clear lines of communication and cooperation.(At least in my mind.)

Wirrit

• Forum Recruit
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 04:00:09 pm »

A list of all the gadgets and terminology I can think of -- If I missed any, it'd be awesome for folk to chime in.

Aware/Unaware:  Whether a person knows the truth of reality -- that systems are a game created by players in primary.  If someone has strange beliefs ("No, man, PRIMARY is just a reflection of the world out there!") they might be somewhere inbetween.  Often, "in between" means "in denial".

Conversion Matrix:  Worn by guardians who intend on system-travelling.  It converts a character to fit the system in which they find themselves, or (more commonly) just allows the character to function in their usual way in a system with different physics.  Now and again people run Conversion Matrix mishap RPs, where somebody gets stuck in an unusual form or powerset because of a malfunctioning CM.  In theory, the things are perfectly reliable, though.  It also has a handy-dandy feature known as "death recall" -- if someone wearing a CM dies, they get jolted back to Medbay (possibly injured; but definitely alive and saveable).  Unfortunately, this feature only works if the person dies in a system Other than the primary...

ACM:  Area Conversion Matrix.  Converts an entire area to the desired ruleset -- often, these are set to convert everything to the Primary system, which essentially negates powers.  It converts people and things into the safest equivalent, and this negation should probably never cause harm.

Jaunt pad:  I always think of the room in star trek that people beam into and out of, for these.  The only difference is that people disappear/reappear with a flashing infinity symbol sign, instead of fading in/out slowly.  And there's that whole trip through jauntspace thing.

Jauntspace:  Seems to work a couple of different ways, depending on the GM.  Dunno.  I usually don't do too much there, but I'm pretty sure it's orange.  Generally speaking, you float through it for a short while before arriving at the other system.

Bounce Jaunt:  Technically speaking, jaunt pads can only send you places that involve travelling through jauntspace.  They can only send you to systems other than the primary.  ...however, people get around that technicality by a bounce jaunt -- People get jaunted into jauntspace, and then reflected back into Primary in the desired location.  This allows for in-Primary ~teleportation by mission teams.

Standard Issue Comm unit:  Can talk with other GG comm units (or the fine folks at C&C / Command and Control) from anywhere in the multiverse, unless something's jamming it.  Sometimes comes in interesting varieties, for people with different physical needs (folk with super-strength, touch attacks, folk that are huge or tiny... etc).  The comm unit can broadcast to teams (ie: everyone participating in a mission), a specific individual's comm (Private Comm, or PC), C&C, or the Outpost Computer.  Some people can also use it subvocally, which often results in the abreviation SVPC, but that might be a special enhancement to the comm.

Neurolaser:  Laser-looking weapon.  Totally zaps people and stuff.  Messes with their neuro-system, I think, possibly temporarily overloading it or something.  Basically works as a stun gun.  Standard-issue for many GG greenshirts.

Outpost Computer:  Has a number of handy functions, the most commonly used of which is that it can tell you where people are - as long as they're registered guests or guardians, and are within the outpost.

Jaunt Beacon:  A handy little thing that can be attatched to stuff you want C&C to jaunt around.  Often attatched to villains, which makes their transfer to the Sublevels (aware) or Wherever They Belong (unaware) require only the push of a button.  There may be a jaunt beacon incorporated into either the CMs or the Comms or both, but I personally suspect the comms -- Either way, Guardians/Guests who annoy Security inside the outpost sometimes get jaunted to the sublevels.

Sublevels:  The prison levels below the Outpost.  There are four of them, with security checkpoints before each one; and to get to the next level you have to walk through the level above.  Sublevel 1:  Closest to the surface, it's essentially like a Primarian jail.  Sublevel 2: The next level down, it's been somewhat enhanced to deal with prisoners that can use magic or interesting powers that could pose security concerns.  Sublevel 3:  Force-shielding over the front of cells, careful containment of prisoners.  Think "high, possibly maximum security prison for magicians, superheroes, death machines, and etc".  Sublevel 4:  Everything from sublevel three, plus ACMs for each cell that can be set to Primary.  If something gets sent to sublevel 4, it's probably never getting out.  In certain respects, it's a variety of GM fiat for getting rid of or safely handling sufficiently uber villains.

Rehab Program:  Totally tries to rehabilitate villains into useful members of society, using things like therapy and/or group activities.  Someone else could probably do a better description than I could.

And that's all that comes to mind just now..
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 04:26:27 pm by Wirrit »

Wirrit

• Forum Recruit
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 04:24:49 pm »

Running A Mission:  As far as I know, there's no specific template.  Things get run how they get run; and as long as it doesn't make any of the Guardian Departments look silly, it'll probably work out pretty good.  But, I do know how things usually get run, and the things that GMs tend to vary, so here goes.
   When it comes to who gets put in charge?  The highest ranking person is one good choice.  If that person doesn't want it, sometimes they'll defer command to someone else.  If the person in charge isn't clear, either the PCs will pick someone or the GM will assign it - it depends who gets around to it first.  Sometimes, a mission doesn't have a clear leader; but that can sometimes lead to chaos, depending on the mission and the team.

1:  Somehow, the outpost finds out that there's a problem of some kind.  As much info as possible is gathered, and distributed to the mission team in one of two ways.  The mission team then goes in-system.
  • A Briefing:  Either there's either a general call for on-duty guardians (meaning anyone who wants to show up, can); or you call specific characters whose players have already agreed to play.  Either way, people are instructed to show up to the appropriate briefing room, where a GM-run NPC awaits.  The NPC often has little folders of relevant data for people to look through, explaining need-to-know stuff about the location/system they'll be going to (in case people have never heard of it).  The NPC then explains the situation and problem as best they can, and asks if there's any questions.  PCs ask questions until they feel prepared, and then the briefing breaks up.  People stop by the quartermaster's to pick up gear if they feel it necessary, then all show up to the jaunt room and jaunt out.  The mission begins! 
  • No Briefing, because all of that takes forever:  The GM pre-prepares a post about the information the briefing WOULD have given them, and starts the RP out at the jaunt pad directly.  If the players have any questions they can ask OOCly...but they pretty much just make an entrance post, and then the GM jaunts them to their destination.  The Mission begins!

2:  People do stuff in system.  Exactly what this entails will depend on what the problem is -- but, generally, the system is being disrupted by outside influence in some way, or something in the system is becoming aware and starting to disrupt things on their own.  Somehow, the Guardians are supposed to patch it up and accomplish whatever goals were given to them during the briefing.  Some examples...
  • Some fancy item that doesn't belong here, got here!  Guns in DnD, A Ring of Three Wishes in HALO, etc.  Get that stuff out of there, and find out where it came from if you can.
  • Somebody that doesn't belong here, got here (Aware, or Unaware).  Oh dear, it looks like Mario is killing all the lizardpeople - you've got to rescue them and get him back to Super Mario Brothers safely, or one of the two systems will die!
  • Somebody / something in this system is missing!  The princess isn't in any other castle, the fabled artifact won't be there with the PCs finally come to claim it, etc.  Find out where it went, and why, and get it back before it's too late.
  • Somebody important in this setting has deviated from the plot.  Maybe the PCs have been convinced that world-saving isn't their job, maybe the Villain doesn't want to destroy everything afterall, maybe that one merchant that was supposed to be a love interest for a PC has fallen in love with a cross-system smuggler.  It's your job to fix it, to save the world.  This option often leads to prickly moral issues...

3: People jaunt back to the outpost, and disperse.  Possibly play out any reaction RP, if applicable and interested -- visits to medbay or R&D to get ones' wounds or brand new symbiote looked at, if someone had a particularly strong reaction to the mission they might spin off and play with somebody about their reactions...etc.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 04:29:38 pm by Wirrit »

Wargolem

• Global Moderator
  • Junior Grade Poster
  • HUGE and made of METAL
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 12:12:28 am »

Can I reply yet?

Janus

• RPG Collector Supreme
  • Administrator
  • First Class Poster
    • Gamer's End RP Wiki
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 01:16:19 am »

Of course!

Rell Avon

• Neutral Guest
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 02:47:28 am »

Special Operations: These guys often overlap with Intel quite a bit. But have a more military approach to how they accomplish their goals. SpecOps is used in situations where a spy cannot be inserted(though many are trained in such behaviors). They are mostly used as small teams with each person filling a role. Mission Impossible style is a very good example.(I am referring to the old series not Movie's one man show). Spec Ops are the types that work in guerrilla warfare. While the Guardians rarely have to fight a long standing entrenched war the dept still exists with those within trained for these types of roles that helps with the execution of other mission. And as stated while there is an overlap SpecOps and Intel do try their best to not step on each others toes and keep clear lines of communication and cooperation.(At least in my mind.)

bloody hell he's onto us quick burn the files and wipe the computers
Er, uh, (ahem) this is nothing like how I picture SpecOps working. no don't burn that one it's good blackmail material

Janus

• RPG Collector Supreme
  • Administrator
  • First Class Poster
    • Gamer's End RP Wiki
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009, 02:58:19 am »

Heh... might be this is a good reason to get some of this down.  As has been often said in the past, there's no reason to create maps and hard Yes/No statements about minutia of the RPverse, but having a good idea all together on if Special Operations is creepy spooks that overthrow Homebrew Systems or if they are highly trained field officers for special duties helps keep RPs from clashing hard.  Remember, much of what is written here can be seen different ways, and the Gaming Guardians do mean different things to different people.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6